• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix: More Than Half of Members Globally Watched 'Anime' Last Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cheers to more animated content in the months ahead will probably catch up on a few anime titles on netflix tonight.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
IAlso, "watched" for Netflix tends to have different standards than most would consider to be "watched", so I wonder how much of that percentage (of either group) actually finished the show.
Given the whole binge model, it's possible that certain titles get watched as they are what's auto-played next. Because the fact that Netflix is both a mainstream platform, as opposed to a dedicated Anime streaming service, and has titles easily being buried under the bottom junk that Netflix seems to add daily. It seems less likely that people are actively watching Anime, and more it's just part of their random binge line-up on a Sunday.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I imagine a lot of it is mostly kids watching on the parent's account.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say about Netflix and anime is that I deeply resent the fact that Netflix is withholding Little Witch Academia blu-rays. That's just cruel.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of confused as to why Netflix is mentioning this. Is it to justify them obtaining the rights to show certain titles or to justify them from the quantity of titles currently available for streaming?

I don't think these numbers are really that indicative. I've watched a bunch of foreign language shows in the past year on Netflix in several different languages including Squid Game (Korean), Money Heist (Spanish), Lupin (French) and Aggretsuko (Japanese). If anything, in my case, it shows openness to watch series from around the world as long as there are subtitles and there's a decent plot or sense of humor involved. I have no idea as to what the majority of viewers watch on the platform but I would like to hope that there are a good percentage that subscribe to watch a variety of shows and not just a couple that fit into a certain genre.
PabloGarciaCoutino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Netflix rating news is not trustworthy because since it's beginning it has kept it's user information (what they view, where, and how many times) private. Everything they publish is for "subscription" "promotion". Another point is that even the basic account has 3 profiles, the more advanced 5-6 profiles, not mentioning in their rating or viewing results whether more or most of the "anime" is seen by same family members/ same account viewers or totally different accounts/members and where they are watching more is also not mentioned. It is not the same to say that U.S. and Canada have half of the subcribers as to say that 90 percent of the viewers from the rest of the world are "anime" viewers (Because of the averages and subscriber numbers per country). Or what "Anime" they are watching or if they consider animated series "Anime" or just animated series from Japan as "anime".
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Not shocking actually. What would be interesting is a breakdown of what anime folks are watching.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:54 am Reply with quote
Also remember, much of the Netflix viewers are the type that made shows like Tiger King and Red Notice hits

Ya guys probably don't understand those people
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I mean it's not hard to make that claim when you label American-produced titles like Cuphead and Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy as anime.

Did they call Masters of the Universe: Revelation an anime as well? Or did they back off on that one?
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
Given the skepticism of many commenters, I think ANN's forum might appreciate this.

The 90% number might sound really impressive, but Netflix's anime don't actually perform well at all compared to Japanese terrestrial TV anime, according to one analytics company. Things are so bad that even new Netflix animes have worse viewership than a 3-year-old K-drama. Here's the data from that analytics company, neatly compiled in Content Asia magazine's April issue.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2