• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Game Music Composer Hidekazu Tanaka Admits to Obscenity Charges in Court

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:38 am Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
"According to police, the girl reported the incident at a nearby neighborhood police outpost. Police then reportedly found footage from the station's security camera of a person following the girl."

Wait, but I was told Japan doesn't take this stuff seriously and it's so easy to molest women there and much more dangerous than other countries.

They don't always take it seriously and it is dangerous. Her case being treated right and there being evidence present doesn't contradict the fact that this stuff still happens a lot and there are a number of police who won't care or investigate. Like, I don't think you can look at a country that had to introduce female only carriages for trains and say "yes this place is 100% safe for women".
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
They don't always take it seriously and it is dangerous. Her case being treated right and there being evidence present doesn't contradict the fact that this stuff still happens a lot and there are a number of police who won't care or investigate. Like, I don't think you can look at a country that had to introduce female only carriages for trains and say "yes this place is 100% safe for women".

Statistically speaking, it's much safer for women in Japan than most other countries: especially the likes of the US or the UK which most people try to compare it to. This is just an empirical fact given Japan's low crime rate - especially violent crimes. Japan is far from perfect, of course, but this idea that it's more dangerous for women in Japan than most other countries is just baseless fear mongering. I see this kind of crap all the time in New York. Worse, even! People here usually have knives or guns on them or are tweaked out.

As far as women only trains cars go, I would argue that's a sign that they do take it seriously, but the real issue is that a women only spaces in America usually never work because of discrimination laws that exist here that don't in Japan. There's been attempts at it like female-only fitness centers and movie theaters but they usually get sued for discrimination since in most states policies like that are not enforceable and exclusionary.
There's certainly a demand for women only spaces in America, it's just impossible to do unless it's a place where you're expected privacy like a bathroom or a locker room, but even those have their own challenges and controversies in the modern era.

But make no mistake if America could actually get away with women only or any kind of X only spaces without fearing a lawsuit they'd absolutely make them,. There's definitely demand for it and we see people try, but they almost always get dragged into court over it or relent on their policy. I remember a few years ago people tried to advertise a Black only anime convention and when non-Black people showed up and people got upset the con runners told them there was literally nothing they could do because kicking them out would be discrimination so they all had to just accept it.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:29 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I think this article doesn't quite portray just how much of a legend in the anison industry this man is. Just look at the entire list of credits (might be missing a few) on vgmdb: https://vgmdb.net/artist/9621

He's one of the biggest names in anison. This is such a huge loss for the industry. All because he couldn't be a decent person. I hope the GIRL is okay (she's not a woman yet...).
not that much he just was part of MONACA who are a super group
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:19 am Reply with quote
He's in the perfect job if he likes little girls Rolling Eyes
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Sounds like workplace stress needs to be addressed more in Japan, although, this guy does need jail to think about things but still these incidents will keep happening until the stress issue is resolved.

No amount of workplace stress is an excuse to sexually assault a child, and pretending those things are correlated is extremely gross.

Underage, not a child (if children are involved, the chargers are much harder, and understandably so). Regardless, though, they guy was playing out one of the most disgusting anime cliché of characters harassing underage and, sometimes, even children characters.

It is perceived as kind of joke, not serious -- "it is just a cartoon!" -- but, apparently, some folks internalize this mentality for real and act upon it.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
harminia wrote:

Statistically speaking, it's much safer for women in Japan than most other countries: especially the likes of the US or the UK which most people try to compare it to. This is just an empirical fact given Japan's low crime rate - especially violent crimes. Japan is far from perfect, of course, but this idea that it's more dangerous for women in Japan than most other countries is just baseless fear mongering. I see this kind of crap all the time in New York. Worse, even! People here usually have knives or guns on them or are tweaked out.

As far as women only trains cars go, I would argue that's a sign that they do take it seriously, but the real issue is that a women only spaces in America usually never work because of discrimination laws that exist here that don't in Japan. There's been attempts at it like female-only fitness centers and movie theaters but they usually get sued for discrimination since in most states policies like that are not enforceable and exclusionary.
There's certainly a demand for women only spaces in America, it's just impossible to do unless it's a place where you're expected privacy like a bathroom or a locker room, but even those have their own challenges and controversies in the modern era.

But make no mistake if America could actually get away with women only or any kind of X only spaces without fearing a lawsuit they'd absolutely make them,. There's definitely demand for it and we see people try, but they almost always get dragged into court over it or relent on their policy. I remember a few years ago people tried to advertise a Black only anime convention and when non-Black people showed up and people got upset the con runners told them there was literally nothing they could do because kicking them out would be discrimination so they all had to just accept it.

I think the points raised here often get overlooked.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

I never said Japan is the most dangerous place ever. I don't think anyone is saying that. I know murder wise it's a lot safer than other places. That doesn't change the fact it is still unsafe and things like groping etc have been pretty well documented there.

The thing with the female carriage is, yes, it fixes a problem but only insomuch as it gives females somewhere to go. It doesn't tackle the actual problem of people thinking they can get away with groping, especially if they've come to expect the police to not care. And once again, the fact they had to even introduce them in the first place showed how bad it had gotten.

Honestly our statements are ones that are not mutually exclusive. Japan can be an unsafe place for people, especially women, while still being safer in many regards than other countries.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hope he rots in prison.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:35 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

Are you trying to make a not so subtle dig at trans people? So according to American anime weebs that don't actually live in Japan, Japan is simultaneously this ideal feminist paradise for women but also this anti Shonen Jump Weekly apolitical wonderland.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Public transit is used far more frequently in South Korea/Japan than in the US, which is something that needs to be considered in the context of groping. This kind of crime happens in the US but does not get as much coverage due to the reduced use of public transit.

https://transweb.sjsu.edu/sites/default/files/1810-Agrawal-Crime-Harassment-Public-Transit-SJSU.pdf

Quote:
Sadly, the survey results reveal that sexual harassment and assault is a common—
even routine—experience for SJSU student transit riders, whether they ride the bus or
train. Almost two-thirds (63%) of respondents who rode transit had experienced some
form of harassment while using transit. Verbal harassment was the most common form
of harassment, with 41% experiencing “obscene/harassing language” and 26% being
subjected to sexual comments. Among non-verbal types of harassment, 22% had been
stalked and 18% had been victims of indecent exposure. Physical harassment was less
common, but still, 11% of students had experienced groping or inappropriate touching.

While this study only surveys students of one university, some international data can also be seen here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8564253/

(Interestingly, the above study shows that women in Tokyo feel safer, on average, when "after dark on the bus in" than women in other countries of industrialized nations).

Additionally, data from that study suggests that women in major Western cities experience far more sexual harassment on public transit than those in Tokyo. See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8564253/figure/fig2-1077801221992874/

Considering the prevalence of sexual violence is quite prevalent in the US when compared to other OECD nations (Source is https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/rape-statistics-by-country ), I would further hypothesize that if the US used public transit as extensively as Japan, China, India, or South Korea, women-only public transport in the US could be a plausible outcome.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Statistically speaking, it's much safer for women in Japan than most other countries: especially the likes of the US or the UK which most people try to compare it to. This is just an empirical fact given Japan's low crime rate - especially violent crimes.

But the subject is sexual assault/sex crimes.

oilers2007 wrote:
Wait, but I was told Japan doesn't take this stuff seriously and it's so easy to molest women there and much more dangerous than other countries.

Don’t know about being more dangerous but there is still some….problems

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/21/japan-poised-to-raise-age-of-consent-from-13-in-overhaul-of-sexual-offence-laws

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201123/p2a/00m/0na/024000c

https://nupoliticalreview.org/2021/01/31/cracking-japans-systemic-sexual-abuse-culture/
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

SA is included in the category of violent crime. Every country has issues with under reported crimes. If you go by the 'expert opinion' over 80% of sexual assaults are not reported in America.

It really shouldn't be a controversial thing to say it's much safer in Japan than other countries, let alone America where most people here probably live. Americans really should not be making 'jokes' about things like Japanese police being useless or Japanese laws being ineffective at protecting women. That glass house is mighty susceptible to stone throwing.

But I feel it falls into the xenophobic 'weird japan' angle a lot of people and media try to do by painting Japan as this weird, backwards country in 2023. It's especially worse when we remember how Asian people specifically have being targeted for attacks and discrimination in western countries since 2020.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
Americans really should not be making 'jokes' about things like Japanese police being useless

To use your own argument against you much like other countries have problems with law enforcement and their criminal justice system Japan themselves is not above corruption and incompetence in either so the criticism is justified.

Avec ou Nous wrote:
or Japanese laws being ineffective at protecting women. That glass house is mighty susceptible to stone throwing.

Did you read either article?

One of those articles I posted pretty much establishes the fact that in Japan sex assault victims don’t fare that much better because of issues in the system, insane troll logic, or just plain old sexism.

To wit:

Quote:
A man on trial for repeatedly raping his 19-year-old daughter was acquitted. Prosecutors alleged that he began raping the child when she was in junior high school. The judge recognized that the man continued to have non-consensual sex with his daughter and threatened to beat her if she refused.

The court ruling stated that it was difficult to conclude that the daughter was in a subordinate position to her father and that he had abused his power. Further, it said that it could not conclude definitively that it was "extremely difficult" psychologically for the daughter to resist her father's approaches -- in other words, she could have resisted if she wanted to.

Under Japanese criminal law, two conditions must be met to conclude that sexual assault has been committed. First, the victim must not have consented, and second, there must be proof that the victim was unable to resist due to physical violence or threats.

Shouldn’t have to mention that in many cases of sexual assault people have basically used their position or status over someone subordinate to them (father-child, teacher-student, boss-employee). Also pretty sure in most developed countries if you sexually take advantage of someone either drunk or high that can be considered sexual assault.

Avec ou Nous wrote:
But I feel it falls into the xenophobic 'weird japan' angle a lot of people and media try to do by painting Japan as this weird, backwards country in 2023. It's especially worse when we remember how Asian people specifically have being targeted for attacks and discrimination in western countries since 2020.

I don’t know how you came to this conclusion especially when it’s already been established in Japan that if you use drugs you’re treated much worse in society than if you commit sexual assault or even murder in some instances.

In other words the criticism is somewhat valid.

Not to mention you believe that all this criticism comes from western minds they can’t come from people that live in other Asian Countries or the like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2