• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S. California Hotel Workers Union States Strike Will Start 'At Any Moment'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flameshadowwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:08 am Reply with quote
Damn I get why they’re doing it now during the con instead of regular days like other strikes but I can’t help but feel bad for the artists and congoers since it takes a lot of money to go if you’re not a local. Just going hope the hote employers cave quickly I suppose
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:33 am Reply with quote
BECAUSE ITS DURNING THE CON visibly is up and the con is part of why they are striking as they get overloaded, and the bosses don't compensate.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
You don't pay your workers a living wage, this is what will and will continue to happen!

It's 2023 and we shouldn't even be having these kinds of conversations anymore but they still continue to happen because "BUSINESS FREEDOMS!"
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for reporting on this.

I would also like to see reporting on the unsafe overcrowding of LACC.

SPJA should tally attendance numbers for this year and then cap at half that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
They started striking too late. They should have gone on strike just before the anime convention started, not during the middle of it. Based on the article, it seems they convention was the target of opportunity. Asking con goers, vendors, and guests to not cross the picket line after they have flown or driven in is a bridge too far.

The strike would have been more effective if the convention attendees were given the choice before traveling to attend or not attend based on what their support of a strike. But doing it in the middle of the convention, after everyone is already there and the money is already spent with no hope of refunds is ridiculous. Most people are going to cross the picket lines, because they are already there, especially convention attendees who are hotel guests of the Marriott.

Very poor planning on the Unions part.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
They started striking too late. They should have gone on strike just before the anime convention started, not during the middle of it. Based on the article, it seems they convention was the target of opportunity. Asking con goers, vendors, and guests to not cross the picket line after they have flown or driven in is a bridge too far.

The strike would have been more effective if the convention attendees were given the choice before traveling to attend or not attend based on what their support of a strike. But doing it in the middle of the convention, after everyone is already there and the money is already spent with no hope of refunds is ridiculous. Most people are going to cross the picket lines, because they are already there, especially convention attendees who are hotel guests of the Marriott.

Very poor planning on the Unions part.

Yeah, I kind of have to agree with you. Timing it around AX makes sense from an impact perspective, and they were probably hoping AX would lean on the hotels a bit too. Doing it during the convention, though, meant it was too late for AX to do anything other than let attendees know about it. My first reaction to the part about not crossing the picket lines was, "What else are they going to do?" Even if the hotels offered refunds, the prospect of finding new lodging, most likely paying a hefty premium for the last minute booking, and figuring out transportation would probably have most people deciding to stay there anyway.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:

The only incident I saw was when I was walking to the con from my hotel and I walked past a demonstration a block from the former Staples Center (I refuse to use it’s current name lol), and a black (local appearing) guy walked through the mostly Hispanic demonstrators, and snatched one of their red union on strike shirts from one of them and were cursing them out, with the protesters trying to drive him out of their area. The confrontation took up the whole section of sidewalk, so people trying to walk past to the con had to step off the curb to get past.

Even though I was on the 50th floor of the Intercontinental, I could hear the protests yesterday morning faintly, they had good drumming and megaphones. Had no negative experiences with the strikers outside my hotel; some of them wanted to take photos of the cosplayers waiting for the shuttle bus near their strike line, myself included. Heard from a couple of AA people that I follow on Twitter that some of the protestors woke them up with their protesting and insulted anime fans attending the con, but that’s just hearsay. Didn’t see many trying to block the entrance to the JW Marriott, but the crowds trying to attend panels upstairs did a decent enough job themselves blocking themselves in anyway.

When I was checking out of my hotel yesterday night, I saw a Scabby the Rat inflatable for the first time in a while, where they used to be a rather ubiquitous sight at union protests in NYC. I’m a union member in good standing (government employee), so I’d rather not have to cross the picket line, but I already paid for the con and hotels and flight, so there’s that to take into account as well. Just give them the $5 extra an hour, it’s not that hard, especially if you’re cutting their hours already. The hotel I stayed at last night right now has a decent strike line going outside the lobby near the shuttle bus stop, but I couldn’t hear them at all from my hotel room this time. Lot of vehicles honking in support of the strike lines from what I could see these last couple of days, which makes sense since LA is a union town.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1