• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
While Shield Hero still has never achieved the same level of quality or success as the first season, saying it is the worst of the season seems a little way off, there were a few others that had a worse direction,production and story altogether, if anything i would say it is a massive improvement compared to S2, now that was a real disaster.

It always seems to me that several members of ANN always had a thing against it ever since it's premiere and with the whole metoo, slavery and false slavery accusation that always makes the criticism of its review to have more bias among ann reviwers than most other shows and always try to find any excuse to downright criticize it and review bomb it.

Well aside from that, another favorite of mine was Tearmoon Empire, the story is a bit of a nice change of direction as the person in question who got rewinded back in time is eighter a reincarnated or isekai person in the body of someone awful, they were downright awful at the start and the progression and direction of the mc improving themselves feels much more natural than your typical villainous story.

The main issue that was against was the poor animation quality, either the staff was heavily pressured and rushed the production or not enough budget was given to it(probably both).

Spy X Family was as great as always, altough it has not recived as much talk as s1 did, maybe cause there were just to many other shows this time that were taking the spotlght but i enjoyed it espeically Yor's central arc. it was a full on blast too see. i hope the new original movie will be great too.

Friefren, nothing really to be said other than it was a MASTERpiece, i really cant wait to see the 2nd cour, pls come soon. Very Happy
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:43 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
While Shield Hero still has never achieved the same level of quality or success as the first season, saying it is the worst of the season seems a little way off, there were a few others that had a worse direction,production and story altogether, if anything i would say it is a massive improvement compared to S2, now that was a real disaster.

The reasoning was that it was the worst of the mid-tier anime that Richard watched in this season, not that it was actually worst of the season.
Quote:
As it turns out, I watched a fair amount of mid-tier anime this season—ones that I was already invested in because they were sequels (and so I kept watching out of habit) or ones that had just enough of something I enjoyed to keep me watching. However, as none of them were outright terrible, I was left with a question: which among these was the worst?

Now I see that MrAJCosplay also put it as worst, but again started with "To give season three of Shield Hero a lot of credit, it is a noticeable improvement over season two", so I assume it was also "the worst of anime I had to review in this season" opinion of assigned ANN reviewer for this season's episodes.
quillpennuthecar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
Best for me:

A Girl and Her Guard Dog
Girlfriend, Girlfriend S2
The 100 Girlfriends Who Really x5 Love You
Spy X Family S2
Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and Inexperienced Me
Shy
16bit Sensation: Another Layer
The Idolmaster: Million Live!

Worst:

JJK S2

Still need to watch:

Butareba
The Apothecary Diaries
Frieren: Beyond Journeys End
Shangri-La Frontier
I Will Survive Using Potions

Thank you for judging A Girl and Her Guard Dog on its content rather than some geocentric cultural morals.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
quillpennuthecar wrote:
Thank you for judging A Girl and Her Guard Dog on its content rather than some geocentric cultural morals.

Both the reviewers who picked it as worst judged it on its content, and not "geocentric cultural morals," which is a major red flag of a phrase, my dude. They both said that the premise wasn't for them, and then continued to critique it based on the elements that didn't work, both in art and character writing.
q_3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Based on the animation clips I've seen, Guard Dog is actually about space aliens, so it's unfair to judge it based on our limited earthling perspective.
TiffYG2133

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:54 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
To say Shield Hero S3 was the Worst seems a little unfair because there were definitely worse that aired, like Buteraba. Mind you, the latter had a great concept but was so poorly adapted and the LN so thin in material that it came our the worse for it. One point for trying?

Not to mention the seconds season of Shield Hero was far worse than this one!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

It always seems to me that several members of ANN always had a thing against it ever since it's premiere and with the whole metoo, slavery and false slavery accusation that always makes the criticism of its review to have more bias among ann reviwers than most other shows and always try to find any excuse to downright criticize it and review bomb it.

The two people who picked it didn't write for us regularly for Season 1. AJ didn't work here at all.

AJ's reviews for season two and three rarely, if ever, brought up points related to criticism of the first season. Season two and three have fallen off even among regular viewers. Look at the comment section for season two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Salami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:29 am Reply with quote
I checked this one out. but the main character gets bullied by a girl and just takes it, so I lost interest
Snowcat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:27 am Reply with quote
This season aligned mostly with my expectations going into it.

So, best of the season: Pluto, Frieren, Apothecary Diaries and the final of the final of AoT.

Runner-up: Spy×Family and The Ancient Magus' Bride

Easy to watch but also easy to forget: Jujutsu Kaisen and Goblin Slayer II

Tearmoon Empire was a light-heart comedy that helped going through the season.

This was a packed season that was a good conclusion for 2023 Smile
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:08 am Reply with quote
Salami wrote:
I checked this one out. but the main character gets bullied by a girl and just takes it, so I lost interest

Which series are you speaking of because that can apply to quite a lot of series.
RacingManiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:52 pm Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:

As a car racing fan I wanted (and kinda expected) to like the series, and that's probably the only reason why I kept watching till the end. But I'm very much on the fence if I want to give the 2nd season even a chance. Heck, Initial D has been on my plan-to-watchlist for way to long, but after watching this I'm not even sure if I should watch that.

I dropped MFG after 3 episodes. I watched all the stages of Initial D multiple times(except the 3 remake movies that had no Eurobeat and different VAs). Initial D was a great anime with cars and racing and interesting people stories in it. And it felt real in our world. Kinda like Overtake was but less emotional or serious. I love Overtake for that but I love Initial D for different reason. First stage CG is probably the worst CG you will ever see in any anime but such is late 90s. But it has its goofy charms and you really appreciate the later season's cell shaded stuff, that I think looks way better than MFG's in 2023.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6