• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Japanese Film and Anime Company To Be Established

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
guru_clef wrote:
I remember last time something like this was attempted. We ended up with Final Fantasy - The spirits within Sad
What about some live action Dragonball? Piccolo in a spaceship and Goku going to school. Hell Yeah!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I mean, it's easy enough for you to ignore all the good Hollywood movies. You just either don't see em or go in already hating them and come up with reasons later on. Simple enough. What I don't get is how you can not notice all the equally awful, trite cliched crap in anime.

What good cinema? I got bored of cinema five years ago, and the only time I bother is when I am forced to go with the family sometimes. What was the last big film Americans hailed as amazing and unique? Inception or something? At the risk of sparking up that old debate, I found Paprika a better film in every regard. I don't really see any good cinema come out of Hollywood.

enurtsol wrote:
Ohohohoho, The Hangover duo is more creative than some of the anime cliche right now! Just because it doesn't have cute lolis doing cute nothings doesn't mean it was no fun! You should see how much fun the audience reacts to it in theaters. That's why it's a hit. Fun! Laughing

I don't recall ever mentioning lolis or anything cute. I don't really put much faith in the audience when it's the same reason Scary Movie and American Pie got so many bloody sequels. The Hangover is just the whole joke of 'guys getting drunk and waking up drunk = funny'. It's stupid, to put it simply.
PMDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This is it exactly:

guru_clef wrote:
I remember last time something like this was attempted. We ended up with Final Fantasy - The spirits within Sad

Hollywood does things to make money (which they can then claim they didn't make so as to avoid actually paying on the "profits" that never happened). They don't do anything for any other reason.

Take every idea anyone has about what this company will do and replace it with a goal of making money. Which they probably will not do. Because the Hollywood machine eats alive people with big ideas and deep pockets and big-eyed innocence.

In the end, they will probably just become another Enoki Films or Gaga or one of the other licensing agents. There is room for that and some money to be made.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
EricDent wrote:

As for Hollywood, they are pretty much just a bunch of corporations now, and most corporations won't take a risk on putting out an untested product, which is why we see so many remakes, sequels, reboots, prequels, or stuff based on other media (comic books, books, anime, etc).

I would say a lot of that has to do with the economy at the moment. With the economy being in the crapper which is a group more likely to do A) make a remake, sequel, reboot, etc that while not new is likely to make a lot of money regardless of quality. B) Try something brand new or creative that may or may not do well in theaters and could bring down a company.

Just like anime. Anime's "free-est" age in terms of variety and experimentation was in the 80's to early 90's when Japan Inc. was at its most prosperous, before the 2-decade-long (and still going) "lost decade." In the 80's-90's, a lot of different ideas were tried (and some failed, but tried nonetheless), and OAVs flourished.

TitanXL wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I mean, it's easy enough for you to ignore all the good Hollywood movies. You just either don't see em or go in already hating them and come up with reasons later on. Simple enough. What I don't get is how you can not notice all the equally awful, trite cliched crap in anime.

What good cinema? I got bored of cinema five years ago, and the only time I bother is when I am forced to go with the family sometimes. What was the last big film Americans hailed as amazing and unique? Inception or something? At the risk of sparking up that old debate, I found Paprika a better film in every regard. I don't really see any good cinema come out of Hollywood.

Just off the top of my head in the last 5 years: a blockbuster - Dark Knight, a low budget - The Wrestler, and something in between - The Social Network. There are gems in the rough if ya know how to look.

(BTW, just because something is better doesn't mean the other is no good. I find some films better than Ghibli films, but that doesn't lessen Miyazaki's stature.)

TitanXL wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Ohohohoho, The Hangover duo is more creative than some of the anime cliche right now! Just because it doesn't have cute lolis doing cute nothings doesn't mean it was no fun! You should see how much fun the audience reacts to it in theaters. That's why it's a hit. Fun! Laughing

I don't recall ever mentioning lolis or anything cute. I don't really put much faith in the audience when it's the same reason Scary Movie and American Pie got so many bloody sequels. The Hangover is just the whole joke of 'guys getting drunk and waking up drunk = funny'. It's stupid, to put it simply.

The first American Pie was good. One could as well say not to put much faith in the audience that watches any loli moe anime that they keep making more loli moe anime.

Like a few cute girls being cute doing cute nothings, The Hangover about guys getting drunk and waking up drunk** was also definitely stupid, but it was fun. Difference is, we were under no illusion that it's stupid, not some high-brow masterpiece that we pretend to be better than anyone else. But it was a lot of fun, and to a lot of us, it's semi-autobiographical - sometimes the truth is funnier than fiction. Laughing

(** BTW, the best parts of the movies are after they get drunk when they're sober, trying to retrace what happened to them. The drunk parts are pretty much relegated just to flashbacks. In fact, they spend most of the movies sober, so in a sense, the movies are not really about them drunk or drinking, which ends in the first 15 minutes.)
danshyu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
Regardless if you like American cartoon or not, anime does need a new way of conducting business that can actually sustain animation talents. American has been gotten pretty good at making plenty money off webcasts alone. Where Japanese depends way too heavily on merchandising that often means a thin line between make or break per each series produced.

Say what you want about American cartoons. But their animation has been slowly but consistantly getting better, and the staffs are all pretty well paid. Unlike the starving animators in Japan. All these without nearly as much outsourcing as what's going on in Japan.

American animation industry has somehow managed to slap together a sustainable business model without sacrificing too much quality in their creation, in fact, they're actually slowly improving. Where Japanese industry are losing quality and quickly sliping into oblivion.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
danshyu wrote:
Say what you want about American cartoons. But their animation has been slowly but consistantly getting better, and the staffs are all pretty well paid. Unlike the starving animators in Japan. All these without nearly as much outsourcing as what's going on in Japan.

Can you give me any examples? For example all direct-to-DVD Marvel and DC animated movies are mostly animated either in Japan or South-Korea and one of the most acclaimed series of recent, Avatar: The Last Airbender was also mostly animated in South-Korea.

Theatrical animation (Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks etc.) is obviously a different thing, although movies based on TV series like Spongebob and Power Puff Girls are also usually animated in South-Korea.

Most key animation at least in the anime series and movies I watch is mostly drawn by Japanese and even some of the inbetweens. It feels like the American studios do mostly just storyboards and lay outs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3