• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big West shows EXACTLY what its copyrights are...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skullone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:20 pm Reply with quote
http://www.macross.co.jp/contents/index.html

While HG prefers to spew vague claims about owning EVERYTHING with the Macross name. I want to see how HG will try to challenge BW's copyrights.

Is HG evil? In my eyes, it's a company with a pathetic track record for respect to its customers, fans and the creators of the products on which it based its own... Not to mention its total lack of creativity and talent (call me "Robotech II: The Sentinels" and "Robotech 3000" )
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well first of all, HG claims that Big West is only referring to international sales such as Asia. Second of all, whether you like HG's policies or not, if they get sued, then Animeigo may not be able to continue to sell Macross. Not that I care, since it's overpriced anyway, but people waiting for individual discs of the series probably do.
skullone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:00 pm Reply with quote
HG won't sue Animeigo. And the reason is simple... Animeigo has a contract with them.

Also, why would Big West and Yamato make this "Sunwards" brandname to distribute the Yamato Valkyries in Asia, where you can already get them for cheap and without HG being able to do a thing? Asia is NOT "HG territory", to use the legalese language of HG's lawyers.
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:22 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness, skullone, untill there is some BINDING legal closure to the matter, then the controversy will not seize.

In fact, I sincerely doubt that either side currently has the resources to seek REAL legal action. Court situations are never fun (especialally when it involves the property of ideas I.E Macross.) As much as you think HG has done a losy job of servicing its fans, they have not sought real legal action against some distributors. It would hurt the industry more if some awful develoupment came of a court (or any other legal institution's) ruling.

I admit that the confiscating of imports is VERY enraging, but let's be honest, if the company turn a vie into a battlefield then there will be even worse reprecussions. It is a matter of either company mustering the legal force to prove its rights to each series.

To most die-hard Macross fans, Robotech is shunned anyway, so it really shouldn't bother them if it is still distributed here. I could admit, however, that the limiting of Macross products is enough to stir adequate anger.

To be honest, rights were purchased to the series, both companies agreeing. It WAS the best course of action in those days, as I have said in other posts, anime wasn't really getting out of Japan without any sort of fansubbing or worse bootlegging done. Macek and BW agreed that it would stir greater interest, and it has fufilled its job in that respect. Today however, we want to see the original Macross, and thus there is consistant disputes over who really owns the rights. Who's job is it to sort that out? HG and BW's. They started it, they finish it.

I respect the fact that you are being vocally active, but running rampant here doesn't serve your cause. Get a group who are as ardent as you in this matter, and organize petitions, news, etc. relating to the matter. It is the actions of a few that chage such things, but don't WASTE that incentive to act running a ramoage on a message board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1