• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Licenses Xenosaga Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's been utterly turned off by RPGs, but loves Xenosaga's *insane* esoteric textual allusions to damn near every pretentious humanities subject and sci-fi reference you can think of... the anime was a fun romp.

The fansubs I had, required me to pause the screen every 4-5 min. for OH-SO-GLORIOUS FOOTNOTES! I doubt ADV would give their official release that kind of obsessive treatment. And yes, Xenosaga is for the *OBSESSIVE*.

So yeah, if I had to, I'll get the games before I get the anime. But I'll never get tired of buying more KOS-MOS (and T-ELOS) figurines.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Another Square game licensed by ADV (after a Final Fantasy anime). This is also the third popular anime this year , after Air Gear and the Air movie, (so far) they have licensed by what I believe to be the most popular and famous anime studio, good ol' Toei Animation.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It's not a Squre Enix title. It's a Namco Bandai title (Monolith Soft to be exact - which included many who worked on Xenogears which has no relation to the story of Xenosaga).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I see ADV's licensing of this anime a bit too late for its own good; the series is already finished and many people already watched the fansubs or heard enough bad things about it to steer clear from it.

I don't know how this release will do (personally, I won't get it until the cheap thinpak is out), but I think that ADV would've made more profit if they licensed it a year or two ago when the series was at the peek of its popularity.
No fansubs of this series ever landed on my hard drive, mainly because all the comments and fan reviews I read indicate that it's a poorly-animated, watered-down kiddified condensed version of the games' stories, and I never even played the game to begin with. But on the upside, this will make ADV's older "Based on a video game" releases like Arc the Lad and Wild Arms look good by comparison.
DrForester wrote:
It's been a while since the anime was made, the games were not that popular. This had to be a condition for them to get something bigger from the company.
I have to believe that this was a "rider" license as well, especially given Jon Ledford's words in the ANN interview:
Quote:
You have to snipe the good titles, that's all that will sell. Everything else, the stores don't want it, the fans will download it. Where does it have a home? Maybe on mobile, maybe on internet but certainly not on video; the home video market will not take it. There's simply not enough shelf space and the product doesn't turn fast enough. So I think that's what you're going to see. A much lower quantity of titles, but you'll see a better quality. Perhaps some silly company will put some Bs or Cs out there, but that'll come back to them.
So, I see *four* possibilities:

1) ADV sees Xenosaga as an "A" title
2) ADV is going against its own marketing/licensing philosophy
3) ADV had to get this in order to get something else.
EDIT: forgot about possibility #4--
4) ADV is a silly company.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
1) ADV sees Xenosaga as an "A" title
2) ADV is going against its own marketing/licensing philosophy
3) ADV had to get this in order to get something else.

I think its pretty safe to say its number 3. This clearly isnt an A title, and I dont see any way they could mistake it for one. I could see them maybe releasing some stuff thats not quite A material, but this probly isnt even B material. Also theres the question of why now? Any popularity around the games has definitely faded at this point. The fact that they suddenly decided to pick this up now would indicate that there must have been some sort of opportunity surrounding this.
OKong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Is this anime based on Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht? Also, I can't believe ADV brought this anime to the US. Now I may never get to hear any of the Los Angeles voice actors of that matter. It may possibly be voiced by the Texas anime voice actors. What was all my efforts of hopes of hearing LA voice actors in anime for when it won't happen again? Stupid me for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3