• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Welcome, pappyduff101! As a 46-year-old myself, I'm always happy to welcome any new, er, "distinguished gentlemen/ladies" to the ANN fold. Hope you like it here.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Aww, c'mon, we don't have to worry about age here, do we? I mean I'm going to guess that the majority of us aren't all that young. When I first came here, I felt like a little kid, but I mean no insult to anyone by saying so.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
@vashna

Sorry, but I have to tell you that the only time you don't have to worry about age is as a young adult. After you are old enought to live on your own, well, it is all down hill from there.

And when your're my age the slope is awful steep. Sad
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
After you are old enought to live on your own, well, it is all down hill from there.

I can't wait for their posts describing another need for prescription glasses because their anime is all out of focus, why "sexy" doesn't equate to shareholder stake in tissue, and the difference between "I can't afford anime" and "damn, maybe I should be saving my disposable income rather than buying dolls and disks."

Very Happy

Though, I sure wish Kagami Hiiragi was around when I was 14.
Neutral
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
To be totally honest, when I turned 20, it was actually rather frightening. I know that's probably really embarrassing, but it was the "Big 2-Oh" to me, and I actually felt like I was seriously getting much older. I guess from what you guys have said, though, I should be okay since I'm not living on my own just yet :'P
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Turning 20... That would have been May of 1965 for me. I still had two years of college to go so I wasn't self supporting.

I wouldn't like to be 20 again and have to do it all over, but, man, I wish I felt like I did back then. I wish I weighed what I did back then as long as I'm wishing. Very Happy
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
I certainly hope I didn't make things uncomfortable at all in that case. I think that we should probably be really happy that there is such a wide variety of different ages that enjoy posting at our forums.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
@ Vashna

Uncomfortable? No, not at all. The nice thing about this forum is that we can discuss a common interest without worry about age or other factors which would be a problem in person. I have not joined any of the local clubs that came and went since I got into anime because of the age differential. I was in my 50s when I first saw an anime program. One young man at Best Buy who tried to recruit me insisted that they had at least one member who was 30. At the time I was over twice that.

The guy at the local library who runs the anime and manga clubs admitted that most of the anime club was middle school boys and the manga club was mostly girls, middle school and younger. He was happy to take my donated magazines though.

On the forum, we are all just members. Even if you know some one is a different age or different sex or just different, all you can see is their words. That is why it is so important to choose your words carefully. Which I can tell you do.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
I like having people who've seen more of this Earth for longer than I have. It's a refreshing break from the stereotypes of anime fans, middle aged creeps who like Sailor Moon for all of the wrong reasons notwithstanding, and that ANN's fora skew older than most is one of their assets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Bah, I don't want you old farts hanging around here! What ANN needs is more hot-to-trot female 20-somethings who have wicked Electra Complexes... Wink
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I've had my own problems with local anime and manga clubs. I remember trying to join one at the library after my parents thought it would be a good idea to make some friends, since I'm really something of a recluse. However, apparently the local library doesn't accept anyone over the age of 17 for the club, and won't allow anyone to create an adult version of the club. When I asked for the rationale, they seemed to actually suggest that they were afraid that anyone in such a club would be branded as a pervert. That really struck me hard, since I felt that it was a horrible stereotype of the fandom. Interestingly enough, the club rules also mean that the organization has to strictly censor anything they watch. I've been told they're not even allowed to watch most Shonen Jump series.
archaron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Then why not start a club outside of the confines of your local library vashna.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The problem with anime clubs outside of educational institutions (like libraries and schools/colleges) is that it's difficult to find a good meeting place where more than a handful of people can be involved. Someone's living room doesn't really count as a club meeting location. Well, maybe if it's a particularly huge room...

You might be able to find a church that is willing to let you use a room, but that's a tough sell where anime is involved. Most cities will have locations where you can rent out a room for an evening or set amount of time, like for a party, but many anime fans don't have much cash to spend on things like dues or fees. As a result, there are not many clubs that exist outside of libraries and schools/colleges.

If you are trying to start a club at a college or university, your school should have a student life or student activities office where you can get more information. Just because there isn't a club already doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make one.

Incidentally, the club I've been with for about 8 years now (college club, I'm just the faculty sponsor) does not have rules about Shonen Jump specifically, however we do have a rule that if we're going to watch a show during a given semester that it has to be 26 episodes or less. The main reason is so we don't feel like we're watching the same thing all semester, and it allows us an opportunity to watch several different shows at a time. We meet weekly for about four hours so this semester we're watching three 26 episode series and one 13 episode series. That is in addition to theme nights, preview nights, and other activities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
I had no idea of some of the older ages on this site, I guess I have tended to have an easier time talking to people not my age usually anyway. My only problem is that my interest in anime goes right over especially the older people's heads, though I do on occasion see much older people than myself near the anime section, guess I shouldn't really be surprised.

I must have been less than 18/19 when I started on this site, but I never did an introduction on this thread as I didn't see it, and when I did see it I had been on too long to do an introduction. Now I have done about 1968 posts.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
It's never too late for a formal introduction. Heck. Some people have re-introduced themselves on occasion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 136 of 233