• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Submitted for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:04 am Reply with quote
What happened to Flight of the Osiris? It isn't in that list either. When I told my sister that one of the Animatrix shorts was being put up to the Oscars, she imeadiately guessed that title, saying it was the best one on there.

Also, don't companies have to put up money for their title to even be in the award contests?
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:20 am Reply with quote
Flight of the Osiris isn't an option because the award is for an animated feature film. This means that it was the main feature that was showing, Flight of the Osiris was just a bonus before the movie.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:26 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
What happened to Flight of the Osiris? It isn't in that list either. When I told my sister that one of the Animatrix shorts was being put up to the Oscars, she imeadiately guessed that title, saying it was the best one on there.

Also, don't companies have to put up money for their title to even be in the award contests?

Flight was submitted for short film. The Academy hasn't released any press release regarding that yet...
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's true, that's true. They do have a catagory for best short though right?

Edit: Okay, we posted at the exact same time...never mind this question!
Nekozuki85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Maybe they wanted to give the US films a chance. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:46 am Reply with quote
I think the most likely candidates are Brother Bear, Finding Nemo, and Triplets. Kon deserves a chance in the spotlight, but the odds against him are stacked higher than if there were five slots.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:00 am Reply with quote
I saw a bit of triplets last week at an arthouse. It looks very surreal, a style that seems to be independent of both traditional Western, CG, and Anime styles. The critics I have read love it, and it looks to be one that academy types would like, partly because of the arthouse slant to it,
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard back from the Academy yet, but according to this article

Quote:

One notable absence from the list of eligible films is DreamWorks' "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas," which the studio did not officially submit. "Cowboy Bebop," distributed by IDP, did not qualify for consideration, according to its distributor, because it was first released in Japan in 2001.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
molloaggie wrote:

Flight was submitted for short film. The Academy hasn't released any press release regarding that yet...

Having just spoken to someone at the academy (article will be up later) they informed me that they do not announce the films eligible for the short award. This list will become public unofficially due to the nomination process, but there will never be an actual announcement. So we should start hearing about whether or not Flight is eligible in a while.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:50 pm Reply with quote
To find any anime on the list is a bonus comparied to the past. If anything, Spirited Away showed the Japanese that it can happen for them and this will encourage more to produce better quality anime in the future.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Tempest: They didn't submit Sinbad, because it flopped with audiences and critics.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tempest: They didn't submit Sinbad, because it flopped with audiences and critics.

That didn't stop Disney from submitting Treasure Planet. The Academy Awards are for the quality in a movie, not for how popular it did in theaters. If it was based on how well it did in theaters, Stitch would of beat Spirited Away last year by a land slide. Heck, Spirited Away probably wouldn't of even been nominated if it was based on box office earnings.

As for the critics, critics have various opinions of things.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That didn't stop Disney from submitting Treasure Planet.

It did stop them from submitting Atlantis though.

Quote:
The Academy Awards are for the quality in a movie, not for how popular it did in theaters.

In theory.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:49 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

That didn't stop Disney from submitting Treasure Planet. The Academy Awards are for the quality in a movie, not for how popular it did in theaters. If it was based on how well it did in theaters, Stitch would of beat Spirited Away last year by a land slide.

Now if only the Academy voters had agreed with me as to what constitutes "quality"... would have been Lilo & Stitch in a landslide. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Tenchi on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
The Academy Awards are for the quality in a movie, not for how popular it did in theaters.

In theory.

Sad, but true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4