• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zerith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
This is getting pretty repetitive and boring now.

I don't really see the point of listing people's name in a white sheet of paper that 's in a black notebook and 'Death note' written in the front.
It's not like it's ever going to work.

Weird kids, thinking that this thing even has a 1% chance of working.

A notebook with a 'Wish list' in front of it has a higher chance of working than this thing called a 'Death note'.
Merciful Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Isn't this just a contemporary update on a long tradition of a tasteless, immature sort of humor?

When I was about ten, a friend and I were very fond of a stupid, slightly disturbing song popular in Australia (I guess) about a teacher suffering a brutal death.

My parents were displeased, but only because a song similar to ours that they'd known, in the 1960s, had been less violent; they and their classmates had still known a comparable piece of music about a teacher dying suddenly and joyful students celebrating and casting the body into a bay.

These are of course, yes, disturbing, but only meant for humor. Neither my friends nor my parents ever even conceived of violence against anyone; they were just dumb but amusing songs.

And considering that these kids charged are just 12 years old... While I realize that after the brutal tragedies that schools have suffered in the past decade tensions run high and that some discipline is probably in order just to stress the reality to kids, I think that arresting 12 year olds is completely beyond the pale.

Sorry to weigh in on only the latest. It's just that the age of the "offenders" that really staggers me this time. Maybe there are details about the kids that we don't know that would put this in better context; still. Was the stigma of arrest really necessary?
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Jaice wrote:
this is a violation of first amendment rights if nothing else. (unless of course the notebook had an actual threat in it, or evidence pointing to the individuals possibly taking action)

Think of it as leaving a note in all the teacher's mailboxes that says "You are going to die by (cause) at (time)". That is not protected speech under the first amendment.

Remember, most of the general public has no idea what (a) Death Note is. Therefore, it will be immediately seen as a threat. These cases do not make the national news. Eventually, there is going to be someone screwed up enough that the series will be tied together with a real crime.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
wow. i'm more shocked at my agreeing with GATSU than the story. because really, once again, its just a case of people over reacting.

Cripes, America.

Rolling Eyes Okay, seriously, we live in a world where things like school shootings, bombings, etc. are far more than just plausible, they happen! There are a number of things that one should not joke about at all, and listing names in a notebook that is titled "Death Note" is one of them. Please explain to me how a list of names written in a notebook with a cover title of "Death Note" is not on par with a genuine hit-list; I'll await a proper reply which does not include something like "its a show, so *insert BS statement here*... because many serial killers have claimed to have gained inspiration from other media (Charles Manson and the Beatles for instance)....

I stand by my stance; these kids did something extremely stupid and are paying the price for said stupidity; end of story, no justification can excuse it.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
wow. i'm more shocked at my agreeing with GATSU than the story. because really, once again, its just a case of people over reacting.

Cripes, America.

Rolling Eyes Okay, seriously, we live in a world where things like school shootings, bombings, etc. are far more than just plausible, they happen! There are a number of things that one should not joke about at all, and listing names in a notebook that is titled "Death Note" is one of them. Please explain to me how a list of names written in a notebook with a cover title of "Death Note" is not on par with a genuine hit-list; I'll await a proper reply which does not include something like "its a show, so *insert BS statement here*... because many serial killers have claimed to have gained inspiration from other media (Charles Manson and the Beatles for instance)....

I stand by my stance; these kids did something extremely stupid and are paying the price for said stupidity; end of story, no justification can excuse it.

and the above it your opinion. I think that people get scared of stuff before even realizing what it is. paper and pens don't hurt people.

If the book did what it says then fine. But if you're going to grab one notebook then grab them all. A plain notebook is just as "harmful" Rolling Eyes as a Deathnote. if they start random notebook checks then fine, i'll go alog with this. Otherwise? They're blowing hot air.

Oh well, i've heard the pen is mightier than the sword. I guess literally in this case. Cool

I stand by my stance, the school is stupid. And I hope they loose enrollment. No excuses. End of story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Nonsense....

still awaiting a proper reply...

Last edited by the Rancorous on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Old copypasta is old.

Seriously, some of these kids need further monitoring if they are going to make fools out of themselves like this.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Nonsense....

still awaiting a proper reply...

your post was a load of bull, but I responded to you. I see the same can not be done for me. Or you're backing out the arguement.

*adds another idiot to the list with the teachers in my Lisa Frank notebook*

Dear heavens, would my list be a threat too? I'm sure you can find some way to make it into one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore:

How can you possibly defend this behavior? Yeah, it's pretty obvious that in all likelihood they had no intention whatsoever of actually hurting anyone. They're not being charged with attempted murder though so I guess we're not the only ones who realize this. It doesn't matter if it's actually a credible threat. The point is that making a list of people to kill, joking or not is serious business and the whole problem here is that these kids don't seem to realize that. Nowadays, even joking about some things is just stupid and you can't do it. ie. You don't say bomb on an airplane. Terrorism on planes is a very real concern so it doesn't matter if you aren't actually a real threat. You can't joke about it.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Please explain to me how a list of names written in a notebook with a cover title of "Death Note" is not on par with a genuine hit-list;

britannicamoore wrote:

and the above it your opinion. I think that people get scared of stuff before even realizing what it is. paper and pens don't hurt people.
<snip>
I stand by my stance, the school is stupid. And I hope they loose enrollment. No excuses. End of story.

You might want to read what the article says the notebook actually contained.
TFA wrote:

Two 12-year-old sixth-grade boys at West End Elementary near Walnut Grove were arrested today after the discovery of a notebook containing what authorities said were terrorist threats.

This does not sound like just a list of names. Remember, you can write the cause of death and the circumstances too. If it said "Teacher shot dead" and "Teacher blown up", can you really say the school is overreacting?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
britannicamoore:

How can you possibly defend this behavior? ....You can't joke about it.

(shortend due to length)

I'll explain this again:

I've never taken written words as a creditable offense. Words just don't hurt people. They aren't physical. if the kids had guns or knifes in their backpacks as they caught them then fine. The school jumped to the panic button way to quickly.

Having them possibly facing court? Way over the top. As it was suggested the last time, take time to have them checked out, have them talk to a conselor. Even with all thats happened, everything that goes down isn't a theart, and i feel the school handled this poorly.

Also, suspending them...if they did have ill intentions, sending them away is the worse way to handle it. Whats to stop them from coming back?

I don't understand why even with everything thats happened people are so quick to jump to the worst possible conculsions. Talk to them first, actually try to deal with them before locking them away.

I can ammend my previous words, at least the Handy can see they may have not been serious. Even still, it seems they did nothing to try to work with these childern they just threw them away out of fear.

Even though I feel words don't hurt people, I still feel the school reacted poorly. And I'll keep saying it until we finnaly get one of these articles who also says they actually worked with the kids to check their capacity.

bayoab-
For all we know, the notebook could have said burn in hell Mr. president, and that would be a terrorist offense. The media has a clever way with words.

If the various ways of death were written next to them, I'll still say the school reacted poorly. All the more reason to deal with the problem students instead of making them someone elses problem.

Theres nothing esle I can really say about this. Its just...infuriating to see schools do things like this to; in this case "possible problem students". I've just seen it happen too many times.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I find myself very curious as to whether this sort of thing has happened in Japan as well. Confused
Well to date no one in Japan has gone to a school and indiscriminately shot and killed anyone, so I can see why in the present climate and recent events in the US, the authorities are a bit antsy about the slightest hint of someone making a list and calling it "death Note". Problem is these boys will be heros to their peers, not examples of a pair of cupid stunts. Rolling Eyes
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
Personally I have to side with bm until there's more released. There's just not enough on the story to back up what the authorities are saying. As was mentioned earlier, anything can be taken as a terrorist remark in this day and age, and they didn't exactly give any examples of what was in or on the notebook. For all we know the outside of it could have said "Furries need to burn" while the contents include the people's names and "dies after getting a flat tire," and that could be considered "terrorism." I think we should focus more on cases like those 9 kids plotting to harm their 3rd grade teacher and actually bringing the tools to do it over some notebook which we're told has terrorist threats in it without citing anything, not even a picture of the cover.

I'll put this into another perspective (and another paragraph cause people hate blocks of text). Based on the information that they gave us, I could come up with a notebook with a list of teachers and student's names in it, as well as maybe their phone number or adress, and then right next to their name write something as vague as "on the bridge" or "in the gully" and then get arrested because it's considered a terrorist act, yet those locations could just be places I've met or will be meeting those people. Just because a list was "inspired" by Death Note doesn't automatically make it the same, what if the only part that they took was that it actually happens and everything that was written was about something good happen, just written vaguely?

Anyway, I'll stop there cause I tend to rant way too much and my train of thought gets derailed rather easily...
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
It's not a matter of it "working" like a "real Death Note." It's a matter of taking threats seriously, and that's what it is when you write a list of people you want dead. It's a threat.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
Who said they ever "wanted them dead?"

Anyway....I'm feeling quite mixed about this, but hey, this is the only news article I've seen with a warning that says that parents really should check out what their children are watching.

I'm probably closer to agreeing with Brit and Gatsu at this point. >_>; Will rant more later. Got work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8