• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vex Machina

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Kotatsu wrote:

Not much this week I am interested in seeing but it does remind me.. the other week I was in a local Asian specialty store *cough bodgy Singaporean goods* (I once asked the lady there, 'Do you know where the DVD's, some complete sets not even released in Japan yet, are imported from?' and she was so like 'Ah, me no speak English..' Rolling Eyes hmmn anyway, nice cheap posters)

Nah, more likely they were from Hong Kong or mainland China, I think. But yeah, it's funny when you see the complete sets for really new shows.
ziel7

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
I have watched Vexille on the big screen myself (thank god, a co-worker found the advertisement for a Dublin festival where the movie was screened), and I really do not understand the review.
The movie is more then two hours long and it pretty much explained everything - there have been no loose ends or unexplained occurrences.
I did not like the character design, but the action scenes and plot was amazing. It was actually the first movie I ever saw in a cinema, that had such a nihilistic ending.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
I still believe that Appleseed: Ex Machina was the best of the two Appleseed movies thanks to the better visuals, better action, change in voice cast, and a story that I thought was more solid than the first. I thought the first movie had a pretty wooden dub, Hitomi was the most annoying of the group. Thank God for Hilary Haag in Ex Machina.
Kotatsu

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Kotatsu wrote:

Not much this week I am interested in seeing but it does remind me.. the other week I was in a local Asian specialty store *cough bodgy Singaporean goods* (I once asked the lady there, 'Do you know where the DVD's, some complete sets not even released in Japan yet, are imported from?' and she was so like 'Ah, me no speak English..' Rolling Eyes hmmn anyway, nice cheap posters)

Nah, more likely they were from Hong Kong or mainland China, I think. But yeah, it's funny when you see the complete sets for really new shows.

Ah yes, I forgot about them! I assumed it was more likely Singapore/Malay etc area only because I noticed that the English on the packaging for them is very reasonable (offence none 2 China) and since Aus is closer too. Oh well, bootlegs are bootlegs!

Though the Appleseed DVD looked like the real one at least..

I did happen to watch the first movie late on TV one night last year sometime and didn't mind it, but fell asleep about 20 mins before the end. Figures.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:
The Oxford comma always made more sense to me. The only reason I wouldn't use it in a list is if the last two objects were part of a combination, like "peanut butter and jelly". Otherwise, I put commas between each item in order to indicate that they are all separate individuals.
Proper way would be peanut butter with jelly, but both are acceptable, and common. BTW, what you call "jelly" we call "jam", and what we call "jelly", you commonly call "jello". So when one says "peanut butter, and jelly", I picture a very squishy mess. Laughing

I'm a fan of the Oxford comma on principle, but I also had the AP Stylebook usage beaten into me as a copy editor in another life. Now I'm just confused

And what you call "jam" we call "jam." Our "jelly" is jam with the fruit flesh filtered out. Laughing
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
I agree to at least some extent with Veoryn with regards to the Ex Machina dub; the majority of the recasts were at least on par with Geneon's original choices.

ziel7 wrote:

The movie is more then two hours long and it pretty much explained everything - there have been no loose ends or unexplained occurrences.
I did not like the character design, but the action scenes and plot was amazing. It was actually the first movie I ever saw in a cinema, that had such a nihilistic ending.

Well there were a couple little loose ends, but nothing vital to the story I think; they left the bit about spoiler[the infected politicians] hanging, for instance.

I didn't find the ending nihilistic, though. Sure, spoiler[Japan is essentially erased], but they tack on that "moral of the story bit" at the end, which balances out the narrative (I don't think this was a particularly bad choice, by the way, as it wasn't overzealously pushed upon the audience).

As for the action scenes, they were absolutely a lot of fun to watch -- I thought the character designs were fine as well, myself.
ziel7

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
oh thats right, the politicians are not explained - I totally forgot about them. Well, either the chick will tell about them or we can wait for a Vexille 2 ;>
The character design, of course, is personal taste - to me, it looked kinda 2-dimensional.
Interesting thing by the way: the cinema I watched the movie in, showed the original version with subtitles. Kinda strange, considering that it was a month ago and the dub is available!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3