• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell to Return to Japanese Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
toru wrote:

When I first heard the news(see first page) of this I was kind of excited. But after taking a look at these, I am not so sure anymore. I had thought what was going on would be an overall polishing with some better sound. But after looking at it, that is clearly not what is going on. I too have to say that I hope they make the original, which I do have, still available to the public in the coming years. That's not to say that the new version can't turn out to be good. But GitS, like many anime fans, for better or for worse, has a special place in my heart. And I don't know how I would feel about these drastic changes being made "permanent".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
penguin: GITS is only overrated to people who don't watch true sci-fi.
gits03

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Im changing my mind about this after watching the clip. I could live with backgrounds and choppers being replaced, but making characters 3D is going too far. I've always enjoyed SAC more than both of the feature films, but I wont deny they're unique visually. What a shame.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I had no problems with the visuals in the original version. The ending is still quite haunting, and one hopes it'll long remain a classic example of animated sci-fi not relying on overt supernaturalism, but I have mixed opinions seeing something as thematically deep as GITS being milked à la Evangelion.

At least the new Evangelion movies are completely reanimated, and are not intended to supplant the original. This is just a George Lucas treatment. I'm disappointed in Oshii.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

What exactly do you consider "true" sci-fi?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Oh, excuse me, then. I guess I've been watching false science fiction for twenty four years. My mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Oh, excuse me, then. I guess I've been watching false science fiction for twenty four years. My mistake.

The almighty GATSU strikes again. GATSU!!!! Give us more of your wisdom, and tell us where we go wrong; we care so much about your opinion!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
gits03 wrote:
but making characters 3D is going too far.

They've made the characters 3D as well? I think the stark contrast between 2D-animated characters and more detailed 3D backgrounds were quite a meaningful artistic touch in Innocence, but without any 2D elements in anime I fear the sub-real appearance of such an animation style -something which allows me to easily engage with any farfetched themes or unrealistic characters- would be lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I must be more elitist than I give myself credit for; I really have no interest in this project. Maybe it's the fact that GITS (the original) was my introduction to anime that wasn't manufactured to sell merchandise and the like (PKMN, Digimon, et cetera) and I'd rather not let anyone mess that up.

The screencaps look all right, more like SAC's style of art . . . I'll think about it. After all, it took me a whole season to fall in love with the re-make of Doctor Who; this might win me over yet.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
the_seventh_l wrote:
I must be more elitist than I give myself credit for

I feel anime fandom tends to lead to some form of elitism sooner or later. I myeslf stopped trying to oppress it long ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MH Knights

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Count me as someone who prefers the "before" pictures to the "after" ones. I too was hoping for a remaster like the Patlabor movies got but instead we are getting a reimagining.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn: True sci-fi actually involves more than just wielding a light-saber; it also analyzes current technology, and tries to understand where it's headed in the future.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
They've made the characters 3D as well?

So far it's only been this part of the trailer where a character is shown in 3D (top image): http://news.pia.jp/pia/news_image.do?newsCd=200806090000&imageCd=0

I've been holding off on buying GitS in hopes that Bandai Ent. releases it with a new dub along with Innocence but I'm not sure how to feel about an upgrade of visuals and sound. I'd rather they just wait another five or ten years and remake the whole movie.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's not like he's changing the ending, giving it the Tomino treatment of Zeta Gundam in those awful movies he did a short time ago. There's just going to be a bit of an audio/video upgrade. Don't worry, Batou will still shoot first. And second. And then again.

Considering the Zeta movie trilogy ending is vastly superior to the laughable trainwreck that was tv series ending, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Xenofan 29A wrote:
At least the new Evangelion movies are completely reanimated, and are not intended to supplant the original. This is just a George Lucas treatment. I'm disappointed in Oshii.

Is Oshii proclaiming this as the One True Version of Ghost in the Shell? Is he actively disallowing further releases of the original version of the movie? Is GITS not already widely available in both DVD and high definition formats?

Doesn't sound very George Lucas to me. Sounds like he's just made an alternative version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's not like he's changing the ending, giving it the Tomino treatment of Zeta Gundam in those awful movies he did a short time ago. There's just going to be a bit of an audio/video upgrade. Don't worry, Batou will still shoot first. And second. And then again.

Considering the Zeta movie trilogy ending is vastly superior to the laughable trainwreck that was tv series ending, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Utter nonesense. The ending of the Zeta Gundam series was bittersweet brilliance. The ending of the movies is happy, cheery clap-trap that Tomino, in his ex posto facto efforts to transform the story into something it never was into something more hopeful, tacked on to compensate for his dropping the ball in Double Zeta. The ending in the movies is unearned, sappy absurdity, whereas the series ending is a perfect fit.

As for GATSU, "real" science fiction or not, the original Ghost in the Shell movie was dull and Oshii's directing was self-indulgant crap. He did a lot better with the Patlabor franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5