• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-09-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Venture Brothers is one of the best shows on TV and the best show to have ever been on Adult Swim.

Better than Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Fullmetal Alchemist?

Better than Home Movies?

I think not. Though it is rather good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know it is shocking, but most people don't have TiVO. I finally got a DVR 3 days ago. Guess what two shows are going to get recorded?Razz

I am also surprised Zac didn't bring up the fact that anime has an uphill ratings battle as it is, because most of the target audience has already seen it as many times as they want to at that point. Unless he knows something about Nielsen families that I don't. Which is a whole other can of worms in regard to the accuracy of niche market ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Is that what happened? They moved both anime to the early morning hours? Oh for pete's sake -_-
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm not sure why AS expects people to tune in to Moritbito or Geass when there was no effort made to tell anyone that the shows were even on the air. Neither show got any advertising, aside from brief mentions on between-show bumps. If moving the shows to 5 is what they have to do to preserve their ratings, fine, but why do they think the shows are going to magically take off if the majority of potential viewers have no idea they even exist? Seems like these shows were doomed from the start.

Of course there's no guarantee that even with a big ad blitz, the shows would have seen any success -- but they could at least TRY.

Not promoting Moribito and Code Geass, then moving them to the graveyard hour: Proof that [AS] WANTS those shows to fail, and that they absolutely do NOT know how to handle anime.

Good anime deserves far better. **burns effigy of Mike Lazzo**
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac wrote:
The Venture Brothers is one of the best shows on TV and the best show to have ever been on Adult Swim.

Better than Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Fullmetal Alchemist?

Better than Home Movies?

I think not. Though it is rather good.

Actually, yes. Yes, it is. Better than all of them combined... Go Team Venture!

By the by, those bunnies are hideously cute...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's easy; when I finished watching the first four episodes of Code Geass. I was in a state of frenzy, and that's when I knew that Anime could truly, truly deliver another intelligent story and anti-hero protagonist. Finally, I had proof that Death Note was not just an aberration. Finally, I had hard evidence that Anime was not just "Japanese cartoons" and something to embarrassed about watching. It could actually be a gripping study of mature themes that the uninitiated don't expect from "cartoons". It could actually be as good as anything the Americans could put out.

I share in this sentiment 100%. I had that very same feeling when I finished episode four of Code Geass. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I share in this sentiment 100%. I had that very same feeling when I finished episode four of Code Geass. Very Happy

That's so neat. Now, I'm not a rabid fanboy of many series (hardly any, in fact). But, the first season of Code Geass is just so awesome, I quickly made an exception. The end of the first episode had me hook, line and sinker. The next three episodes were downed immediately, and by the end of the fourth I knew that my Internet bills were going to get a lot higher.

Shame that it has suffered the treatment Adult Swim doled out on it. I may loathe the dub, but no show that fundamentally good deserves to be placed at the worst possible timeslot. Adult Swim could not do any more harm to Code Geass if it tried to. Even taking it off the air would be better in my opinion, if only to save the show its dignity.

Anyway, thankyou for your heartwarming reply.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

And Paradise Kiss

I'm pretty sure they're still in high school in ParaKiss (senior year); maybe you're thinking of Nana?

They definitely are still in high school in ParaKiss. You see it more if you look at Yukari and her classmates, since they are all preparing to take university exams. The art school students however are not going further in their education, which is why it might seem like they are in university, but it is still a high school, just a specialized one.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fans might be "more vocal" but what you're suggesting is that they listen to the whining of anime fans on the internet (anime fans on the internet who apparently don't have TiVOs yet) rather than basic ratings data, which is the opposite of sense when you're running a TV network.

So your willing to trust an outdated system where One Viewer = XXXXX Households? That's like saying Westburo Church is representative of most Christians in America.
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
no matter how good or bad anime or american TV (animated or not) really are, I'd never feel comfortable to be squeezed between those two
rinjichan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
Some thoughts on anime vs American TV:

I've watched anime for years ( oh god like 8 at this point, I think) and for anyone who can claim that anime is more 'intelligent' or 'thought provoking' than American TV, hasn't seen the whole pie yet. There are tons of cliches within each genre, and many shows that repeat them not just year after year, but season after season, sometimes with very similar shows airing at the same time. Just looking back at the shows that aired this summer we have series that might be entertaining, but I can't think of one that was a fresh twist, superbly animated, and thought provoking. 32 shows/specials aired this summer.

Anime, like a lot of American action movies, is 90% entertainment, and rarely original thought-provoking character studies that people seem to tote the medium as.

American animation is of course, also rarely these things because American animation has only tiptoed through the premise of purely adult shows. On the other hand, I wouldn't claim that children's anime is particularly intelligent either. Any look at the children shows that air each season, and I can tell you at least one is a tie-in to a toy line or card game. It's basically just to sell merchandise. Two air next fall that are card-fighting games like Yu-Gi-Ou but not part of that franchise. I'd say that at least American children's shows aren't all merchandise tie-ins, and while I thought the downfall of started with CatDog on Nickelodeon when I was a preteen, I haven't seen much of what airs now.

I think sitcoms might be where you see the real hit or miss with American TV, but with shows like House, Fringe, Sons of Anarchy, and other dramas, I think we really excel.
dirge_without_music

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
Don't you guys have anything like sky+ in the states it lets you record programs off the TV without a DVD recorder? as many as you like, I couldn't survive without sky+ in my house!

Also did anyone think of comparing anime and american TV to British TV, maybe it's just me but I think British films and TV are much better than American TV, and on a par with Anime. As we don't go on for years like American TV does (except with soaps - which I hate) and we don't insist on everybody living happily ever after!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Not promoting Moribito and Code Geass, then moving them to the graveyard hour: Proof that [AS] WANTS those shows to fail, and that they absolutely do NOT know how to handle anime.

Good anime deserves far better. **burns effigy of Mike Lazzo**

Um...they want them to fail? Saying they don't know how to handle them is one thing, but generally, trying to make your programming fail is a poor business model. Wouldn't they just not put it on in the first place? Or do they perhaps feed on the tears of otaku that can only be created through false hope?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

And Paradise Kiss

I'm pretty sure they're still in high school in ParaKiss (senior year); maybe you're thinking of Nana?

They definitely are still in high school in ParaKiss. You see it more if you look at Yukari and her classmates, since they are all preparing to take university exams. The art school students however are not going further in their education, which is why it might seem like they are in university, but it is still a high school, just a specialized one.

Oh yeah, that's right (been a while since I've read Paradise Kiss). The artschool students always seemed more like college students to me, which is probably why I had forgotten they were still in high school.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
The fans might be "more vocal" but what you're suggesting is that they listen to the whining of anime fans on the internet (anime fans on the internet who apparently don't have TiVOs yet) rather than basic ratings data, which is the opposite of sense when you're running a TV network.

So your willing to trust an outdated system where One Viewer = XXXXX Households? That's like saying Westburo Church is representative of most Christians in America.

That makes no sense at all. If anything, listening to kvetching anime fans on forums is like listening to Westboro Church, because they're the loudest and their opinions have little to do with the rest of the country. (For those unfamiliar, they're the people who claim God hates gays. Though they use a different word.)

At least Nielsen Media Research TRIES to be scientific about their polling methods, and has improved in recent years, though there's still a lot to be desired in their accuracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6