• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-16]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As for this week's question, I have a very, very simple request:

I would like to never see a person say another character's name as their only line.

This was my exact first thought in response to the question. It drives me abso-freakin-lutely crazy. It always seems like filler to me. (So a filler moment, in a filler episode? it's like double-trouble!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
What the heck? It's like someone took cuteoverload and search/replaced all references to 'tocks with otaku.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I... feel... pain. Anime cry
I put spoiler tags in the part of your post that I quoted to cover up the HUGE spoiler that I was most unfortunate to have read.

a thousand apologies, hadn't thought of that... fixed now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
As for this week's question, I have a very, very simple request:

I would like to never see a person say another character's name as their only line.
This was my exact first thought in response to the question. It drives me abso-freakin-lutely crazy. It always seems like filler to me. (So a filler moment, in a filler episode? it's like double-trouble!)
I got annoyed with that element as well, but I decided that "[Name]..." lines made sense as part of the Japanese "less is more" theory of language, based partially on the Animatrix DVD extras. So instead of interpreting the lines as just "Name," I try to look for the emotion behind it, such as *approval*, *disapproval*, *shock*, *concern*, *amazement*, *affection*, or *grief*. Might be a cheap justification, but hey, after seeing so much anime you have to deal with this issue sooner or later. It's made me appreciate English dubs more for adding a little variety to the proceedings. Funimation's dub of the first season of Negima is particularly good at switching out "[Name]..." lines for something more interesting.

Re: Timeskips -- they aren't that bad if they're well-done and there's strong indications, like different character appearances or different "states of affairs" to indicate time differences. Rumbling Hearts pulled this off well enough. (For whatever flaws it had, you at least felt the timeskips.) But timeskips can also go very, very wrong. I'm looking at you, Jinki: Extend.

Galaxy Angel X: I saw the news of the partial dub on AoD and its forums awhile back, so I've mostly made peace with the situation. I wasn't extremely attached to the GA dub, but I liked it well enough, and there were numerous posters on AoD (part of that "cult following" no doubt) who were disappointed that it wasn't completed. Now, I can understand Bandai cutting their potential losses on a niche series whose sales they didn't expect to recoup its dubbing costs in today's market, as per jsevakis' post. The only thing that bugs me is, if that's the case, why oh why is Bandai commissioning a brand new dub, from Coastal Carolina no less, of Clamp School? An anime from 1997, in an "I want the latest shiny new anime" market? At least GA X is from 2004 and is still relatively "new."

3x+ watched anime: They tend to be either the older longtime favorites (AKA anime I watched over and over again because I didn't have anything new to watch), or short, quick "guilty pleasure" series. The local anime club also has a fair bit of influence.

Scrapped Princess: First series I obtained via fansubs, fell in love with it immediately, watched once, watched again a month later with a friend, watched again when the DVDs came out, watched again when Anime Club watched all of it.

Love Hina: Second series I ever collected, so it got a lot of disc-play time. Currently 2 discs into a 4th watch, though it's been stalled for awhile.

Ghost Stories: Watched it on my own as the DVDs came out, Anime Club was instantly hooked on the parody dub, and I gave the Japanese track a watch on my own. Currently planning a 4th viewing with the dubtitle track on to catch every last joke.

Haibane Renmei: Was first exposed to it via Anime Club, later became the last HKDVD I ever bought. Later re-watched in English and Japanese via the R1 release.

Angelic Layer: After watching it (DVD) subbed twice, I gave it a third watch in English because I was going to see some of the cast at a convention. Would've done a retro fansub re-watch, but they were just too LQ and/or broken to keep around.

Escaflowne: Another old favorite, watched once on HKDVD, again on the R1 release, then again because my brother was curious to see it. Still haven't seen the English track, so I guess that'll be grounds for a 4th watch.

Yumeria: Falls under the "guilty pleasure" rating 100%. It's dumb, it's cheesy, but it's chock-full of fanservice, and all the innuendo never gets old. "I need you to give me a power charge, Tomokazu -- but please, be gentle..." Laughing Embarassed
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on the name-calling thing. Truly annoying.

"Inuyasha!" "Kagome!"

Another thing I hate in anime is when one character is explaining something to another and that character repeats part of the explaination in the form of a question. I don't know haw clear that was, so here's an example:

A:"The enemy is planning a strike on the Spiral Tower."

B:"The Spiral Tower?!"

A:"Yes. We may have to use Formation F, just to make sure they won't reach the city."

B:"Formation F?!"

A:"Yes. This will be tough as their forces are expected to number more than 9000."

B:"OVER 9000?!?!?!"
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
As of last week, I've completed approximately 680 viewings of the 1st and 2nd OAV's of Tenchi Muyo, as well as 26 viewings of the 3rd OAV and 16 viewings of GXP, but I digress.

With the notable exceptions of Green Green (whoops) and Wolf's Rain (listless but emotionally distraught characters wander aimlessly, then spoiler[die] rinse repeat) I don't buy anime I won't rewatch. Heck, I've actually overplayed one Interstella 5555 DVD and had to track down another.

Amongst anime cliches, there's really only one I know of that I feel absolutely mustn't be used any longer. In my opinion, it's time to pull the plug on the "silly, clumsy, overeating heroine" stereotype. How many times are we going to see Usagi/Miaka/Linna (and their dopplegangers) stumble, blather, and glutton their way to some otherworldly realization of power and "higher purpose" that gives them the momentary ability to change the course of time itself...
...which they then squander by keeping everything the same way as it was so that they can get to the nearest soba stand.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
What? No reptiles in this column? What kind of animal prejudice is that!? D=
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
As far as anime stereotypes, I think I've had my fill of plucky young heroes who "suck" compared to their peers but harbor a secret power within them (like, say, the soul of a 9-tailed fox demon or being the reincarnation of a moon princess.) Here's something to try- someone who improves through actual hard work and practice as opposed to alien heritage, mystical beings, magical endowments, or cursed fruit. But, I guess that doesn't lend itself to fanfiction well... Laughing
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
As far as anime stereotypes, I think I've had my fill of plucky young heroes who "suck" compared to their peers but harbor a secret power within them (like, say, the soul of a 9-tailed fox demon or being the reincarnation of a moon princess.) Here's something to try- someone who improves through actual hard work and practice as opposed to alien heritage, mystical beings, magical endowments, or cursed fruit. But, I guess that doesn't lend itself to fanfiction well... Laughing

Oh God, thank you! Seriously, that needed to be said. Very Happy

Of course, take that away from Gundam Seed and it's really just... dumb kids playing in gundams, isn't it? Laughing
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

Agreed! Then again, we probably won't see much of that until they find a way to make "training montages" more interesting. Smile

And I really appreciated Zac's answer to the question about "getting an anime series made". If people want to tell their stories in the medium of animation, it's more possible now than ever, but do you have the work ethic when you realize all the work you've put in only amounts to 20 seconds of footage.

But those with the work ethic, perhaps they will be the ones to revolutionize animation and revamp the training montage so we can get past the "instant heroes".
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The next title is “Kimagure Orange Road” OVA, including the two movies. Again it was the synopsis of a boy with unusual mental powers of ESP, which got him into trouble more than it ever helped him, and the slice of life that was so skilfully blended into it. I liked how Kyosuke, though he knew he had special powers, tried not to use them, or rely on them with his relationships between Hikaru and Madoka. This mixture of psycho-drama and light hearted slice of life worked perfectly for me and I haven't seen another series that is anywhere like it without having to tainted it with gratuitous fanservice.

There's one TV episode (19, 20 or thereabouts) where Manami gets a cut on her finger, Madoka comes along, sucks Manami's finger, and then bandages it up. This was done, amazingly enough, without seeming like fanservice. These days it'd be yuri fodder Newtype or Megami promo art. KOR anime already has Sumire and Akane for Madoka fangirl yuri anyway. Still need to complete my DVD set so I can rewatch the whole series (lost my contact at my old comic shop after it closed up, so I'll have to find another source for vols. 6-11)

As for my threepeat series, it's the 1990 Daddy Long Legs TV anime. A few episodes in Japanese on NHK BS-2 (when my cable operator was still able to show it) and two different Tagalog dubs. First one (watched once) had overall better casting, but I never figured out who played Judy Abbott. Second one has Jenny Bituin as Judy, so for me it doesn't matter if almost everyone else doesn't sound nearly as good, and it didn't cut out the OP/ED songs by Mitsuko Horie (who pretty much every Filipino anime fan ought to know for singing the Voltes V theme song; she was even a guest at a Japanese embassy event a few years ago); currently rewatching on TV. Ideally there ought to be an American English dub, but my best bet is probably Animax-Asia picking up older anime again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I've actually overplayed one Interstella 5555 DVD and had to track down another.

Considering how catchy those songs are I'd be surprised if you're the first person who's done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The next title is “Kimagure Orange Road” OVA, including the two movies. Again it was the synopsis of a boy with unusual mental powers of ESP, which got him into trouble more than it ever helped him, and the slice of life that was so skilfully blended into it.

I haven't watched the OVA, but I have watched the series. One of the things I love about it was how they blended into the setting. Throughout watching the show, I never felt they were using the ESP as a crutch. In fact, their are a couple episodes where the powers don't show up at all.

With all the shows I still have yet to watch, I haven't really rewatched shows. The only show I've completely rewatched was Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's the show that kick started my anime fandom, and is just damn good. Now, if were talking about books... I'm on my fourth or fifth re-read of Ender's Game at the moment.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

Agreed! Then again, we probably won't see much of that until they find a way to make "training montages" more interesting. Smile

Yeah, those are always the worst parts of Naruto, for example.

And, just to defend Naruto for a second... he does train harder than anyone else. Also, in Shippuuden, spoiler[he sees the harm in relying on the "secret power within" and makes the conscious decision to not use it.] So I don't know if he could be seen as a typical example. Now Gaara, on the other hand......
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

Yeah, those are always the worst parts of Naruto, for example.

And, just to defend Naruto for a second... he does train harder than anyone else. Also, in Shippuuden, spoiler[he sees the harm in relying on the "secret power within" and makes the conscious decision to not use it.] So I don't know if he could be seen as a typical example. Now Gaara, on the other hand......

Exactly. Naruto's a hard worker, no doubt about it. Also in Shippuden, spoiler[Sai walks up to Naruto while he's doing his "tons of shadow clones to split a waterfall in half" training, a training that takes a massive toll on the person. Sai reads in his book that one should reward a friend if he has been working unusually hard recently. Sai looks at Naruto's intense and tiring training, and says, "nope, looks pretty normal for him" and walks away. Laughing ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4