• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
To answer this week's question, it's more of a yes and no type answer. Do I go out yelling "I like anime, I like anime"? No I don't go out and admitting that I like anime. Like anything else it's a hobby. Now if someone asks me about it, and wants to know what my favorite shows are, then yes I will show my fandom and talk about it. Other than that I pretty much keep it to my self.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are other things in the way, as well; the first being that there simply hasn't been much Macross to license.
Except that Macross 7 ALONE has almost as many episodes and spin-offs as the rest of the franchise put together. Never mind the excellent VF-X games, and all sorts of other Macross merchandise that rarely gets out of Japan (and until a few years ago was actively blocked by HG).

Quote:
So I suppose while I don't have an issue with the series themselves - whatever floats your boat, right - there are way too many shows these days that are little more than an appeal to a particular fetish, and I wish they'd use that production time and money and talent making anime series of sincere quality. A guy can dream.
Care should be taken that even if a series may tick the box of a certain 'fetish' that in no way precludes it from being an excellent series in it's own right.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
"They're set to publish volume 36 in January of next year"

I dunno if Zac meant to mention it, but 36 is where the anime ends, so that's the ideal place for people who don't want to buy manga they've already seen animated to start. As for popularity, yes, you don't see cosplayers, but the manga/anime still sells pretty darn well IIRC, and it was still one of Adult Swim's highest anime in ratings (not that that's saying much, but still).

As for hiding my anime fandom, heck no. I've learned in life that the more you try to hide something, then the more you likely you will be ridiculed for it. My family obviously knows (kinda hard to walk into my room and not notice the DVDs, figures, and posters), and most of my closer friends know, and I own a few T-shirts (Bebop, Bleach, and hopefully will finally get around to sending in that "free FLCL shirt" coupon I got with the boxset) so it'll be obvious if I'm wearing it. But if I'm not, it's not like I have a desire to immediately tell them. If they ask what my hobbies are, I'll include it in there.

Lying about it when asked, trying to remain unseen in the DVD or manga section, that's just asking for trouble. If somebody with an ego problem catches that sort of behavior, he or she will know something's up, and things will be worse for you when the truth is revealed. Now, if you're honest about yourself, and STILL get ridiculed, that person wasn't deserving of being your friend in the first place (and that includes girls. I mean, she's going to find out eventually, better sooner than later). Like Some Guy said, saying this probably makes me sound conceited, but whatever. I learned from my friends in college that you should never be ashamed of what you like. You don't have to shout from the rooftops, but don't be afraid to give a little yell when appropriate. Wink This philosophy has worked fine for me, and I think like 0.1% of the people who have known have a problem with it.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
personaly, i love showing my anime fandom. i love anime and manga and im proud of that so why should i hid something that i'm really proud of?
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Macross and Takahashi Rumiko in one Answerman!

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
There are other things in the way, as well; the first being that there simply hasn't been much Macross to license. There were only two series produced in between Macross Plus and Macross Frontier - the first being Macross 7, which was never licensed chiefly because of the music licensing rights being a labyrinth of legal horrors (not to mention the show is uneven, goofy as hell and impossible to take seriously).

You forgot about Macross: DYRL and Flashback 2012.

What are you talking about? DYRL is from 1984 and Flashback is from '87. They were not made, as Zac indicated, between Macross Plus (1995) and Macros Frontier (2007/8).

As a big Macross fan, I'd have to agree with Zac's sentiments about Macross Zero. It had some slick dogfights but that was about all it really had going for it. I felt the music was sub-par and the story diverted into a direction that was "we have to save the earth!" and not from macron space aliens. I mean, I've pretty much stayed away from Arjuna for the same reason. Probably the only detraction I've heard about Frontier is that it lends legitimacy to Macross Zero, killing all hopes of writing it out of canon eventually.

Macross 7, for all of it's uneven-ness and goofy premises, one admits, is a damn good time. Very different feel from the original but not as much of a turn as Macross Zero was.

Zac wrote:
I could see an eventual license for Macross Frontier - Harmony Gold would probably want some sort of fee for using the name, but I can't imagine that being insurmountable.

It was exactly this deal that allowed AnimEigo (and later ADV) to release the original television series here.

I don't really see HG as the roadblock it once was, especially in the case of MacF, but other, more title-neutral factors acting as limiting factors on the prospects of licensing the title, most notably being cost. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I think there are probably other titles that have come out in the last couple years that might be cheaper and it just so happens, now is a time where everyone is watching their pocketbooks and bottom lines.

As far as Takahashi Rumiko goes, I'd say that I'm a fan. I really enjoy her writing; she has a unique styling that appears across almost all of the manga she's worked on and she's very astute at taking on different genres. Sadly though, I think Inu Yasha is the weakest of her epics and probably the weakest title she's written (at least, of the ones I've gotten my hands on). Inu Yasha does prove one thing, at least in my eyes: Takahashi is more than popular enough that she can get anything published and it'll make bank.

Flake was hilarious (probably reading too much fanfiction) and the response was even more so. Cartoon fetishes, though; meh.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

As far as Takahashi Rumiko goes, I'd say that I'm a fan. I really enjoy her writing; she has a unique styling that appears across almost all of the manga she's worked on and she's very astute at taking on different genres. Sadly though, I think Inu Yasha is the weakest of her epics and probably the weakest title she's written (at least, of the ones I've gotten my hands on). Inu Yasha does prove one thing, at least in my eyes: Takahashi is more than popular enough that she can get anything published and it'll make bank.

I am also a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi, I've read all her manga except Lum (and I do plan to read that one day) and I agree that Inuyasha is the weakest one. Although I think it didn't start out that way.

I got into anime/manga through Inuyasha and I still think it started off great. I will even say the ending of the manga is not bad if not anything special (at least everything was resolved). The problem is the Inuyasha manga went on for way too long that by the time it ended I no longer really cared and for someone who was once a pretty big fan that is a little disappointing. Firetripper (one of her short stories) which shares many similarities with Inuyasha was much better.

Oh well from what I read of Takahashi, Maison Ikkoku is definitely my favorite.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Oh well from what I read of Takahashi, Maison Ikkoku is definitely my favorite.

I like MI as well as the Mermaid Saga and One-Pound Gospel. Gonna get around to buying the unflopped manga for MI and OPG once I finish a couple of other series. Not sure it'd be a good idea to get the MI anime (which I've only seen subbed and dubbed in Chinese) since Viz apparently can't keep two of the box sets in print, and used copies were going for $100 last time I checked.
Nei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
I'm glad BCD Masamune mentioned Moribito. Lovin' that show too. I'm also miffed CN moved it and Geass to the 5-6AM slot. I get low ratings, but then move it to when the people who are most likely to watch it are not awake? I give BCD props for waking up. Me, I still use the ol' reliable VCR and tape to record them. On the "only on DVD" front, I give a nod to The Third: The Girl With The Blue Eye. It's a beautiful little show that wouldn't happen in American animation and makes me glad the Japanese do their thing.

As for this weeks question, I don't scream "I'm an anime fan" from the rooftops, but, well, lets just say most folks at my job know who the three anime fans are in our library system. Smile I am wearing my Vampire Knight outfit for Halloween today at work. We get to represent book characters. It works. Normally my fandom outside of home and cons is just in little things like my anime keychains hanging from my keys and flash drive.

Nei
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
There's a difference between hiding one's fandom and displaying one's fandom. I do not go into work wearing a catgirl maid outfit, or walk down the street screaming along to my favorite OP songs as they play on my headphones.

At the same time, I don't avoid the topic in converstation, take my anime keychains off my bag before I leave the house, keep the DVDs under the bed, etc.

I read manga on my lunch break, I have a keychain of Loz from Final Fantasy Advent children on the handle of my workbag (his arm broke of somewhere- he's not crying!), and if it's relevant to the conversation I have no problem talking about a show I like. I'm just not going to go out of my way to make sure everyone knows I'm a raging otaku. The other fans will figure it out, and no one else really cares.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'll always have a begrudging respect for Takahashi because of two series: Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku

But, dang it, how can she drag out Ranma and Inuyasha so long?

(I've already given up on CLAMP finishing X/1999)
rinjichan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a closet anime fan. It was more pronounced when I was in middle school and loved Sailor Moon, but now at 21 it's limited to my laptop. I have a blog, I edit an encyclopedia website, and am watching a ton of shows right now, but when I leave my laptop for college or am out with friends, conversation tends to be about family or the military life.

I don't wear anime related merchandise because it doesn't appeal to me. I don't hang out with the anime people in college because we have nothing in common but liking similar tv shows, and they scare the crap out of me.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Crap! I completely forgot to write in about Mononoke for this week's Hey, Answerfans! Sad

At least I was pleasantly surprised to see D. Cager raving about Baccano!. She hit the nail on the head with a wrench! Who would have thought that a series with such outlandish, interwoven plot lines could actually have so much character depth to go along with the heaps of violence and comedic stylings? Of course, as Ms. Cager said, the creator (Ryohgo Narita) is the true genius behind it all, but the animators certainly outdid themselves in terms of bringing the pages of the novels to life in such a masterful fashion.

That's just about what I was going to say. Huzzah to Baccano!! (And huzzah to some Mononoke love too!)
Hasukawa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
man am I sorry I missed last weeks topic. For me the most recent series that moved me would be Denno Coil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Oh right, none of that happens, because the TV series doesn't end, it just stops. Which really made the fans happy, let me tell you.

They should've realized Rumiko Takashi stopped caring about her work with Ranma. Rolling Eyes Well, ok, One Pound Gospel ain't bad, but look how long she took to finish that.

Quote:
They're set to publish volume 36 in January of next year, and there are 56 volumes in total, so you're going to be waiting a while.

Though it'll still be done faster than the Ranma manga! Laughing

My personal Rumiko Takahashi theory is she doesn't want to end anything because she might want to go back to it. If she ended Ranma, that would be that. That she actually put an end to InuYasha & One Pound made me suspicious she might be thinking of retiring & hope that she might actually finish off some of the other stuff, but it hasn't happened.

And there was at least one InuYasha at Comic-con this year. I seem to recall 2, but there was at least 1. I assumed it was his only costume & he didn't want to buy another.

Quote:
What do you think of series that like to skirt around the border of certain fetishes? When I say that, I don't mean mainstream fetishes like maids or schoolgirls, but more eccentric ones like crossdressers (see Minami-ke) and dolls (see Rozen Maiden).

Ouran isn't crossdressing?
There's a decent amount of crossdressing. You're just not looking in the right places. Dolls...again not looking. There are dolls & similar things to dolls such as Uryu's sewing. Look at Gwendal & his stuffed animals he makes/collects. It's usually a tough/gruff guy who collects cute things & it's pretty standard to me.
What are all the robot girls if not animated dolls? Kikaider? Mech are just BIG dolls/toys.

GATSU wrote:

Anyway, the last series I saw which seriously excited me is Area 88 TV.

Sorry.
You disagree with so much with me, there is no way you can like Area 88 TV which is another I bought pre-ordered as singles.
You probably watch it for the story. I had to get it because of Tomokazu Seki, Takehito Koyasu, Hikaru Midorikawa, & Shinichiro Miki being in it (& yeah, I don't think I listened to the dub)

From my chair at work I am surrounded by 2 Bleach posters, 3 Weiss Kreuz posters, 2 Saint Seiya posters, 4 Saiyuki posters, a Kyo Kara Maou dvd cover of the 6 guys, an SDK poster, 3 old calendars (Saiyuki, Tsubasa, KKM) open to favorite pictures, xeroxes of covers of various manga(Saiyuki, Rebirth, Wild Rock, Meru Puri, SDK an L cover of Jump Squared, Seraphic Feather), a Vampire Knight poster from Shojo Beat, DMP freebie posters from con of Hero Heel, Gorgeous Carat & Princess Princess & I will have to flip the Code Geass & Saiyuki Reload calendars over to their last page Monday. Since I took the majority of my Saint Seiya capsul dolls home, I am left with Naraku, Nataku, Taikobo, Bunchu, Yozen, Ikki, Shun, Cygnus, various DBZ(Vegeta), Gara, a Sgt Frog set, a Gintama set, some Bleach, some Clamp chibis, Luffy, Shanks, Sanji, Deathmask, Seiya, Shun, Capricorn, an assortment fo small Seiya figures & Pumpkin Jack. Oh, & some postcards form con-Let Dai, KKM, Boy Princess, King of Hell, FMA, Skyscrapers of Oz, Shinobu Kokoro, Affair, some keychins, Giroro & Kururu stuffed dolls, a doll of the terrorist Koyasu plays on Gintama, & a doll of Hiei.

My cubicle is infamous
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
On hiding fandom: It depends who I'm around. Most of the time I don't make a big deal of it, and don't usually mention it unless someone brings it up. If someone asks what music I listen to I usually just say "a bit of everything" instead of having to have "The Conversation" about anime and my love of Japanese music. If I think they might be interested I'd say more, but usually I don't.

I also don't want not to be taken seriously about my ambitions to study and one day teach japanese history and to learn Japanese to assist in my research. So yeah. Not usually something I mention to people I dont know well. My friends who don't like anime don't hear about it from me. They just know that I like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5