• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Presidential Candidate Cain Quotes More Pokémon at Rally

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Cain/Colbert managed to win a little over 1% of the vote in Saturday's primary. He/they did best in the urban areas of Charleston and Columbia. Cain outpolled all the other formerly withdrawn candidates, including both Perry and Huntsman who left the race only in the past week or so.

One percent could be seen as disappointing until you realize that Colbert made his vote-for-Cain-as-a-proxy-for-me pitch last Tuesday.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
1% is downright impressive for a "joke vote." Although S. Carolina has open primaries, which means you don't have to be registered Republican to vote, it shows me how unimpressed people are by the actual candidates.

Still kind of shocked the Gingrich won...Ex-wife comes out to the press with Shocking! Scandalous! Statements! And the guy sweeps the vote anyway. Everyone who attends or works in U.S. public schools ready to enforce those wonderful janitorial jobs he suggests students should take up to keep 'em out of trouble? ('because, y'know, actually enriching students lives with traditional sports and the arts after school costs money and all...)
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... If you ask me, he probably doesn't care so much about Pokemon as he does the quote. It probably could have appeared in some quote generator somewhere. Trying it myself, I've got a few hits that just label the quote source as "Pokemon, the movie."

The rest of the lyrics aren't there, but he probably listened to it after finding the quote.

But then, who knows. :/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Cain/Colbert managed to win a little over 1% of the vote in Saturday's primary. He/they did best in the urban areas of Charleston and Columbia. Cain outpolled all the other formerly withdrawn candidates, including both Perry and Huntsman who left the race only in the past week or so.

One percent could be seen as disappointing until you realize that Colbert made his vote-for-Cain-as-a-proxy-for-me pitch last Tuesday.

Though Colbert, who grew up in South Carolina, was polling at 5% just 10 days ago, so guessing a lot of those people didn't come out and vote. Laughing

Agent355 wrote:

Still kind of shocked the Gingrich won...Ex-wife comes out to the press with Shocking! Scandalous! Statements! And the guy sweeps the vote anyway. Everyone who attends or works in U.S. public schools ready to enforce those wonderful janitorial jobs he suggests students should take up to keep 'em out of trouble?

Hahaha....... that's what they already do in Japan. Laughing

Gingrich won because of how he did in the South Carolina debate, particularly how he answered that question about his ex-wife. Shouldn't be a shock that he won, but the margin he won by.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes, *all* the kids in a given Japanese school (middle & high) take turns cleaning up classrooms after school. Not just the quote-unquote "poor" kids. They don't do it for pay, and I don't think they do heavy janitorial work, like scrubbing toilets.

It's not the federal government's place to suggests such programs be placed in individual school districts, but even if it were, setting up a program that excludes most children reeks of segregation and classicism.

So Gingrich got applause defending personal choices that have led to the impeachment of other presidents and the ruin of countless politicians. Let's see how long his un-righteous fury and excuses last.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2