• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quote
i just started reading it today, and damn this manga is great. definitely one of the most well thought out stories i've seen in awhile. i can't belive this is in Shounen Jump, this doesn't seem at all like something they would serialize. has this been licensed for the US yet? if not it should be.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Nope, it hasn't been licensed yet, but we can pretty much count on Viz getting it soon with how popular it's getting. I liked it a ton at first, but then the story gets kinda slow around volume 3, and then... well, word of advice: Stay AWAY from the fan community of Death Note unless you're a rabid Light x L fan. I think the fan community is partly responsible for my dislike of Death Note at the moment.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
I suppose if they do license it, they'll be sorry later. You know how lots of series "get really good" as you get further into it? Death Note is the opposite. It starts out very promisingly, but somehow loses track of the dramatic possibilities of the premise and becomes a ridiculously confusing guessing game. There seriously is more text than art on some of the pages ...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Death Note certainly does have an interesting concept and execution, more like something you would find in cutting edge seinen anthologys like Afternoon or Big Comic Spirits. At the same time, I agree with Patachu in that it does drag and drop in quality as time goes on. I also can't stand alot of DN fans that I've talked to or seen post on boards. They can get really obnoxious when you suggest that perhapse Death Note isn't the more substansial and mature manga out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1