• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
who else thinks that the American naruto sukes(voice acting)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Different levels? Maybe. But still parallel as I've already illustrated.

Degree is very important. A first degree burn (sunburn) is irritating, a third degree burn can kill you.

This is about language, not about sunburns, or math, or actresses.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Demoneyes, I don't think it matters anymore.

If he isn't doing this for simply trolling, if this is TOTALLY serious, than it's funnier than I thought.

I enjoyed Zac's last comment, so much so that I require everyone involved in this thread to read it.

The big questions, the ones that have to do with SOMETHING, will never be answered. Red herring. A bunch of BS is thrown at the question so that the real question is muddled and almost gone by the time we actually look at the posts.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with you Vortextk. The government should hire Ohoni. He'd make an excellent "spin doctor". Very Happy

Zac wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:
Ohoni, I was just curious to know if you were fluent in Japanese and if you've been to Japan a lot and travelled around there?

Don't actually expect Ohoni to answer this question; the answer would reveal the fact that he's talking completely out of his ass and the sole strength behind his argument is repeating himself over and over again with an aire of superiority.

I agree with you Zac, but I still want and expect an answer from him. So Ohoni, since you conveniently ignored it the first time, I'll repeat it again:
Quote:
Ohoni, I was just curious to know if you were fluent in Japanese and if you've been to Japan a lot and travelled around there?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
[What the hell was that? Spam like this again and face a ban. -Nagi]

Hmmm the original topic was about the voice acting in Naruto and how bad or good it is. It got caught on Papermaster's grammar but then got back on track. It then sailed on the orignal topic. It then got bent into a conversation about Datebayo, Eh+Canadians, and a all out war on how Japanese speak and then it just erupted into utter chaos. I figured if everyone else here can make completely irrational comments and not even consider the other guys opinion and just post blindly after skimming a few words, why can't I Camelot187757 AKA Cam, C-Lot, 7cityn____, Tha Royal Flush, Mac Spelled Back, MC MoneyClips, One of a class of 2000, The H.N.I.C., Nacirema, Camillmatic, Cam-illion, Nacirema O. Kontech sing a song about my one of my favorite drinks???

And I quote from joel_s95387
Quote:
A topic that everyone was able to get into, including me, where we all have our own point of view, which will end in blood. If you ask me Papermaster57 is a genius, just like George Bush.

I never understood, and always thought people where just being mean to ____, but now I understand why.

Anyways. What the hell was this topic about again?

Last edited by camelot187757 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah, but when I try to explain it directly you just keep missing the point, so I'm trying to find a metaphor of some kind that might explain it more clearly to you guys.

Quote:

I'm not fluent, but I know enough to get by. I also went to elementary school in Japan, and have several Japanese friends.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
The profits from past Naruto sales go to the copyright holders, not the company dubbing the anime. Those copyright holders have NO INTEREST in making the anime sucessful over here, just in making a profit off selling the rights.

That's ridiculous. The more popular the anime is over here, the more money they stand to make off the manga, toys, and games. It's the best advertising money can buy.

If the anime is popular, their toys will sell better. But they rarely, if ever, help with costs of the anime aside from buying the rights if the anime distributor has the rights to the toys as well.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:
So, while the people making a new Batman series can get a little help from DC Comics (as DC will be making a profit off the series as well) the company dubbing Naruto does not get the same backing.

A little note, American comics are BARELY profitable. I'm sure DC comics doesn't put a dime into JLU or Teen Titans, and in fact I'm fairly sure they make a direct profit off those shows in liscensing fees. MArvel makes MOST of it's money off of the movies it makes, rather than off the comics they sell, and I've hear that DC comics is actually a non-profit division (not by choice), that worlds more or less as a "farm team" for potential movies and tv series.

American comics sell for about $5 for 32 pages. Graphic Novels tend to cost $15 minimum. And the last time I checked, Marvel didn't make movies, other studios did. There name is included because they own the rights to the stuff being used in the movies.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

I know of several people that go: "Stupid anime. *changes channel* Oh, infomercial, yay!" And I'm serious. They'd rather watch an infomercial than anime because, to them, all anime is retarded, dumb, and pointless. (And before you blames this on the dubs, two of them haven't seen ANY dubs, only subtitled shows.)

Yet they watch JLU and Titans. And they haven't watched ANY dubs, not even the anime that bookend those shows? Strange. Teen Titans is practically anime itself.

Yeah, they watch JLU and Teen Titans. But not anime, and that was the entire point. Teen Titans may emulate some aspects of anime, but that's about it. The original comic doesn't look like anime at all. Very few people are going to actually mistake it for anime.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

And there is a big difference between licensing to make JLU and licensing Naruto. Licensing JLU was just a matter of getting the rights to use the copyrighted characters in the show. Licensing Naruto is a matter of essentially purchasing a finished product. There is a big difference.

Yes, which is why I'm not comparing those costs. I've made it quite clear that I'm comparing the [costs to liscense a finished anime show] vs. the [costs of liscensing the characters for the American show, plus the costs of producing that show, minus the costs of the VAs].

Actually, you didn't make that clear at all. And why are you subtracting the costs of the VAs from the American show? Do you think they don't have to pay them? Of course its going to be cheaper if you take out the VA's salaries. That's like half the cost of the show right there.

Ohuni wrote:
Those two costs should be roughly equal,at least on potentially mass-market programs (niche direct-to-video programs would tend to follow a different scale, certainly).

You see, that's the key. Anime, even Naruto and DBZ, are niche markets.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:
They don't outright say 'we won't give you the rights' (because the Japanese are a polite society and often indirect) but they will raise the prices to levels that no one would pay. This is what Toei did with Sailor Moon, I believe.

And yet they sold the rights to One Piece, a much bigger property, just fine. I'm sure they had their reasons for not liscensing Sailor Moon, or for believing they could get that high price for it, but it clearly doesn't apply to their entire business policy.

Perhaps. But if they felt offended by the R1 anime licensors, they may well simply cease to deal with them. They've obviously refused to give out rights for lesser reasons.

And you have conviently ignored the main reason your little boycott wouldn't work.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:
And FUNI was unable to get the first opening for Kodocha (and part of the Japanese audio track) because the company that had the rights for the song and the musicians voice simply woudn't deal with them.

That's a seperate matter, a conflict with a Japanese music company, which really didn't stand to gain much on the deal, not with the animation company itself.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like they would have gotten money for letting them use the songs and audio. Rolling Eyes And I don't see how it's a separate matter. Whether music or anime, they are still Japanese companies that simply won't deal with U.S. companies.

Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but when I try to explain it directly you just keep missing the point, so I'm trying to find a metaphor of some kind that might explain it more clearly to you guys.

Most, if not all, of your 'points' have been BS.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

No I understand everything you've said, I just don't agree with it.

That's it I'm done with this.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

If the anime is popular, their toys will sell better. But they rarely, if ever, help with costs of the anime aside from buying the rights if the anime distributor has the rights to the toys as well.

I'm really not folowing the double-standard here. People keep saying "but this is why an anime is different than an original US show and why it has to have substandard VAs", and when I point out why they're exactly the same in that regard you just hop off to something else.

Quote:
American comics sell for about $5 for 32 pages. Graphic Novels tend to cost $15 minimum.

American comics sell for $3 for 22 pages. They still don't turn a significant profit. The production costs are VERY high, the printing costs are considerable, and distribution is a mess, so that by the end of it most comics sold by DC or Marvel are done at just about break even. Only the huge sellers actually turn a profit. What they DO, however, is promote their other projects and create IP for use in tv, games, and movies.

The profit margins on manga are much higher, because manga are done in black and white (lower printing costs, cheaper paper, no colorist to pay), and mangaka work for cheap.

Quote:
And the last time I checked, Marvel didn't make movies, other studios did. There name is included because they own the rights to the stuff being used in the movies.

Silly rabbit, Marvel gets BIG money when a "Marvel" movie comes out. Most of Marvel's profits over the past few years have come directly out of X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four movies, that's what dragged them out of bankrupsy.

Quote:

Yeah, they watch JLU and Teen Titans. But not anime, and that was the entire point. Teen Titans may emulate some aspects of anime, but that's about it. The original comic doesn't look like anime at all. Very few people are going to actually mistake it for anime.

It's easier to mistake Teen Titans for anime than to mistake it for the comic. Most people that watch the show are unaware that there IS a comic of it, and the comic has a completely different cast. They only recently even cameoed Kid Flash on the cartoon in two episodes, and have yet to have Superboy or Wonder Girl in any episodes.

Quote:

Actually, you didn't make that clear at all.

Perhaps not to you. I spelled it out at least three times before that last one that I was including all costs in producing the show. Whether you read it or not is not my problem.

Quote:
And why are you subtracting the costs of the VAs from the American show? Do you think they don't have to pay them? Of course its going to be cheaper if you take out the VA's salaries. That's like half the cost of the show right there.

Balance.

1. My arguement is that anime should be able to hire VAs of equal quality as American shows.

2. the counter arguement to that, supposedly, is that anime companies are poor, and therefore cannot afford the same VAs.

3. My counterpoint to that is that:
A: The two shows, both situated similarly on television and with similar demos and merch, stand to make nearly identical amounts of money.

and

B: That, if the cost of both the American and Japanese VAs are removed, both series should have nearly identical production costs. Because of that, the cost ot liscense the content of the Japanese show should be roughly equal to the cost to liscense and create the American show.

4. Therefore, all things being roughly equal, both types of show should have nearly identical budgets with which to go forth and hire the very best talent for their respective shows. Hence my confusion as to why most original US animation tends to have hire quality voice talent, and why I've hear that it does, in fact, pay much better than anime dubbing.

Quote:

You see, that's the key. Anime, even Naruto and DBZ, are niche markets.

No you say. I don't buy it. Is it niche as in not everybody likes it? Certainly, but is it MORE niche than any other programing aimed at the same demographics in nearly identical timeslots and channels? I don't see how you could make that arguement. I'm not comparing it to live action shows, I'm not comparing it to Family Guy or South Park, I'm not comparing it to any of that stuff, I'm comparing it to other shows that could also be considered "kids shows", that are marketed identically, and that air in the same block of Toonami shows.

Quote:

And you have conviently ignored the main reason your little boycott wouldn't work.

Because the US companies would break? Maybe they would. But it's at least worth a shot. Something needs to be done if they're really that desperate.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
I have a question. How did this thread get to here from the voice acting for Naruto sukes (excuse me, sucks) Question Question Anime dazed

Maybe this donkey (aka thread) is dead and everyone should stop beating on it.

Oh jeez. I just realized I made my 100th post on this topic. Why didn't someone stop me. WHHHYYYY!!!!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
How did it get where? I think the three points being discussed here are

A: Is Naruto's "Believe it!" more annoying in the US version than in the Japanese (goes to translation and "does the American Naruto suck?").

B: Why doesn't US Naruto have a voice cast of comperable quality and casting care as an original US animation such as Teen Titans or JLU? (and if it's a factor of money, why would there be a difference between the two?)

and C:Can anyone forgive someone for making a spelling/typing error?

I believe all three are relevant to the original topic, are they not?
Xyex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I'm really not folowing the double-standard here. People keep saying "but this is why an anime is different than an original US show and why it has to have substandard VAs", and when I point out why they're exactly the same in that regard you just hop off to something else.

Ok, look, there's no 'double standard', it's simple economics. But I'll break it down for you, maybe you'll get it then. So, let's scale this a bit and see what we get.

American Animation Company
Bank - A few million dollars.
Licensing for a comic adaptation - around $2,500
Original animation production costs - $800 an episode.
Voice Actor Fees - $1,500 an episode.

American Dubing Company
Bank - A few hundred thousand, if they're lucky.
Series licensing fee (animation) - $30,000 for one 'season'.
Series licensing fee (JP voice track) - $15,000 for one 'season'.
Series licensing fee (BGM track) - $5,000 .for one 'season'.
Special licensing fees (J-pop/rock insert songs, theme songs, etc) - $1,000 +
Video Editing costs - $200 an episode.
Dubbing costs - $350 an episode.
Voice Actor Fees - $400 an episode.

Now do you see? On top of this, there's such a thing as the "Voice Actor's Guild of America" which is the union for all American VAs. They dictate the minimum ammount of money that you can pay ot their VAs. Guess what? That minimum is MORE than a dubbing company can pay. If a member of the Guild wants to do a dub they have to do it under a false name.

Quote:
American comics sell for $3 for 22 pages. They still don't turn a significant profit. The production costs are VERY high, the printing costs are considerable, and distribution is a mess, so that by the end of it most comics sold by DC or Marvel are done at just about break even. Only the huge sellers actually turn a profit. What they DO, however, is promote their other projects and create IP for use in tv, games, and movies.

The profit margins on manga are much higher, because manga are done in black and white (lower printing costs, cheaper paper, no colorist to pay), and mangaka work for cheap.

The profit made on comics is higher than you think. Marvel's money problems were due, largely, to a drop in sales. But yes, the movies managed to pull them back from bankruptcy.

Quote:
Silly rabbit, Marvel gets BIG money when a "Marvel" movie comes out. Most of Marvel's profits over the past few years have come directly out of X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four movies, that's what dragged them out of bankrupsy.

As for mangas, ya, it's cheaper for those to be made. The Manga-ka's don't make as much money as American artists, there's less staff, etc. Course, those cost savings don't transfer to the American company that translates it since they have to pay a lot of money for the right to translate and publish it.

Quote:
Perhaps not to you. I spelled it out at least three times before that last one that I was including all costs in producing the show. Whether you read it or not is not my problem.

All you've done is ignore our points and insist (quite incorrectly) that you're right.

Quote:
Quote:
And why are you subtracting the costs of the VAs from the American show? Do you think they don't have to pay them? Of course its going to be cheaper if you take out the VA's salaries. That's like half the cost of the show right there.

Balance.

1. My arguement is that anime should be able to hire VAs of equal quality as American shows.

2. the counter arguement to that, supposedly, is that anime companies are poor, and therefore cannot afford the same VAs.

A: The two shows, both situated similarly on television and with similar demos and merch, stand to make nearly identical amounts of money.

and

B: That, if the cost of both the American and Japanese VAs are removed, both series should have nearly identical production costs. Because of that, the cost ot liscense the content of the Japanese show should be roughly equal to the cost to liscense and create the American show.

4. Therefore, all things being roughly equal, both types of show should have nearly identical budgets with which to go forth and hire the very best talent for their respective shows. Hence my confusion as to why most original US animation tends to have hire quality voice talent, and why I've hear that it does, in fact, pay much better than anime dubbing.

You have some SERIOUS misconceptions about things. Refer to my earlier example. Anime dubbing companies have LESS money to start with and it costs them MORE to get an anime than for the big business American companies (WB, Disney, etc) to make their own show. The dubbing companies can't afford to even pay the MINIMUM that the VAG demands. Talk to someone into the business, they'll explain this to you.

Aside from this, they will not make the same ammount of money. Ignoring costs and taking ALL income as profit, Naruto STILL doesn't make as much as JLU or TT.

Quote:
No you say. I don't buy it. Is it niche as in not everybody likes it? Certainly, but is it MORE niche than any other programing aimed at the same demographics in nearly identical timeslots and channels? I don't see how you could make that arguement. I'm not comparing it to live action shows, I'm not comparing it to Family Guy or South Park, I'm not comparing it to any of that stuff, I'm comparing it to other shows that could also be considered "kids shows", that are marketed identically, and that air in the same block of Toonami shows.

Look. TT and JLU are mainstream in the full and true meaning of the word. They are well known series featuring well known characters that many Americans would recognize on sight or by name without difficulty. Naruto, however, is not. It's a show from another country that the American population (outside of the hardcore anime fan that keeps up to date on these matters) knows nothing about. There is a VAST difference just in that.

Anime is a niche market. It's expanded considerably thanks to the efforts of DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! which, while a lot of people don't like them, really opened up the anime market in the states. However, that market still pales in comparsion to the one where shows like TT and JLU reside.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

You 'point out' that they are 'exactly the same' when they aren't. That's exactly what we are telling you but you ignore it becase it doesn't fit with your little fantasy world.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:
American comics sell for about $5 for 32 pages. Graphic Novels tend to cost $15 minimum.

Like Xyex said, those profit margins don't translate to the U.S. distributors. In addition, they have to translate the manga. American comics frequently have very recognizable characters since most of them have been around for a good 20+ years.

Oh, and I don't think manga-ka are as cheap as you seem to think. Most of the time, manga is in a weekly anthology. Even the ones in monthly anthologies require the manga-ka to work most of the day 5-7 days a week.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:
And the last time I checked, Marvel didn't make movies, other studios did. There name is included because they own the rights to the stuff being used in the movies.

Then they made money on the success of the movie through the licensing agreement. They didn't produce the movies themselves.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

It's easier to mistake Teen Titans for anime than to mistake it for the comic. Most people that watch the show are unaware that there IS a comic of it, and the comic has a completely different cast. They only recently even cameoed Kid Flash on the cartoon in two episodes, and have yet to have Superboy or Wonder Girl in any episodes.

Yeah, I mean, nobody is going to recognize Robin. It's not like he's from a super popular franchise or anything.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

Actually, you didn't make that clear at all.

Ah, right. Must have been the invisible text. Or the super-secret code you have hidden within your posts. I can't believe I missed that.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

Balance.

and

The fundamental problem with that is that anime companies just don't have as much money as American animation companies, even before the high licensing costs. So the rest, right or wrong, doesn't really matter.

Ohuni wrote:
Quote:

Because the US companies would break? Maybe they would. But it's at least worth a shot. Something needs to be done if they're really that desperate.

And the fact that companies bid against each other for licenses which obviously drives the price for licenses up.

And you seriously expect businesses to do something that they knew had a good chance of putting them out of business? And with the bidding for rights, it wouldn't make much of a difference. It may lower the starting prices, but through bidding, the prices would go just as high.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
my god.....is this thread even about naruto anymore?

well, aside from him (naruto) i like the voices, they all fit well.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
No, not really. I wouldn't be suprised if this thread gets locked soon for being off topic.

Here's a proposal to Ohuni (and others debating him): Start a new thread if you want to continue to discuss this. I think this thread has gone off topic long enough.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
[You badly want to get banned, don't you? Cut it out! -Nagi]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9