• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
who else thinks that the American naruto sukes(voice acting)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
I would really like to hear from people who have never heard the Japenese VA's. Thier opinion counts the most (also because they discovering the show from for the first time).

I have seen all the episodes that CN has aired so far, but none beyond that, and have never seen the series subtitled. So far I've felt that most of the voices sounded right for the characters and the performances were at least adequate. Zabuza is the only major exception, and there's been a couple of bit parts so far that also didn't ring right.

Naruto as a series has some definite flaws, but the English voice acting isn't one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wouldn't the original voices be in text? Naruto did start out as a manga didn't it? People talk crap about the voices when they picture their own perfect voice for character while reading the manga.

I know I don't, but I also know when a character's voice doesn't sound right in an anime.

Quote:
Naruto as a series has some definite flaws, but the English voice acting isn't one of them.

It's sad that expectations have been driven so very low.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:

xanbcoo wrote:
Naruto, I will never get used to his voice. I don't think it fits him very well at all. That being said, the woman is not a bad actress (as far as anime VAs go), and there have been times when I've really felt what she was saying.

Kakashi, Haku, and Gaara, however all have (or had) voices I think totally fit their characters. All 3 sound VERY similar to the original voices imo, which is a plus.

This is something I don't understand. How can a voice fit the character? Does our voice fit our character? I've seen people at my local comic book shop who look like they work out, yet their voice is that high pitched, albeit comedic, voice. Most characters should sound different because if we get everyone acting serious, the punchline will never work.

Wait...what punchline? Disregarding that last sentence, you seem to understand how a voice can "fit a character" because in your example you provided a voice that *didn't* fit someone's character. If Naruto sounded like Ayato from Rahxephon, then Naruto's voice would not fit his character. If Kakashi sounded like Keitaro from Love Hina, then his voice would not fit his character. Now, in my opinion, many of the voices chosen for the roles actually do fit the characters quite well - as in, the voices don't sound strange coming out of the characters mouths. They seem natural.

Quote:
Another thing, how can the "Original Voices", I assume you are referring to the Japanese Dubs, sound similar to the English dub? English and Japanese accents and voices in general are very different. When I speak Spanish, English, or French I sound like a completely different person.

Wouldn't the original voices be in text? Naruto did start out as a manga didn't it? People talk crap about the voices when they picture their own perfect voice for character while reading the manga.

Yes, you are entirely right. The fact that the "original" (aka. Japanese) voices are merely the Japanese VA's interpretation of a manga character is a point I like to stress - I merely left it out of my argument above. My point was just that because I am so used to the Japanese voices, it's a very nice thing that the English voices sound quite similar, so the change is less jarring. And yes, from what I can tell, their Japanese and English voices are similar. No, you don't sound entirely different when speaking another language, you simply change your accent, or intonation in some cases. You keep your voice. I don't know what you've been told, but chances are you don't sound like Antonio Banderas when you speak Spanish. You sound like you...speaking Spanish. The fact that, for example, Gaara's American voice has a similar tone and timber of voice to his Japanese voice means that they are...well, similar.
Iris_0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I like the voice acting in Naruto. It takes awhile to get used to, but it's probably some of the best voice acting I've heard in an anime yet.
Wingfreedomstriker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It dosen't sound good if you dub Naruto, it just dosen't fit. it sounds better in the original japanese voice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

It really isn't. It's a difference between Japanese and English. Dattebayo is a more natural thing to hear than "Believe it" every ten minutes.

Are you Japanese? Do you know what all the Japanese people think? The word Dattebayo being used can be related to an accent or slang and is use to give distinguish Naruto as a character of his own, with strong will. But it is not natural for normal Japanese to end all their sentences with dattebayo like they do with Desu. The way he end his sentences can sound childish at times. It can be annoying to people who are unfamiliar with Naruto or first time Naruto fan. Dattebayo might sound childish and annoying. But naruto fan will find it natural because they’re become accustomed to the way Naruto speak. Now if you look at the world "believe it" it's meant to give Naruto more "character" too. And if you watch 100 episode of only the English dub Naruto, you will assume that the way he ends his sentences with "believe it" is just the natural way he speaks too. The point is that you assume dattebayo to be more natural in japanese than "believe it" in english isn't right, nor is it wrong either. Everybody is different. We have a lot of rapper that end every sentence with "believe dat" or "ya heard me, son" and it might sound awkward to many people but to rap fans that grew up on slang, it’s natural for them.

Well you just have proven my point, Kunta. Even though you don't know the language, you just assume it sound more natural. Is it a bias opinion? Probably. You've grown so accustomed the voices and the speech pattern that no other way is the correct way.
beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Playful suffixes after sentences are a rather common thing in anime and manga.
Not so in Western cartoon.
Thus I agree with Ohoni, the original sounds much more natural and credible while the "believe it" dub adaption seems kinda artificial to me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:

Maybe not in cartoons, but definitely in common speech. I teach at an urban high school, and I know students who end sentences with catch-phrases just as often as Naruto uses "Believe it!" in the dub and for more or less the same purpose. Thus I don't see that quirk as odd at all. Is it annoying? Sure. But it's also part of their personal style, just like it is for Naruto.

Ohoni wrote:
It's sad that expectations have been driven so very low.

I disagree on that; I expect a certain level of competence in a dub performance and certainly come down on a series when I don't hear it. I don't hold original Japanese vocals up as exemplars of perfection, though, so I'm not going to blast a series just for not having Academy Award-level merit in its acting - unlike some people in this forum and others. (And no, I'm not necessarily talking about you, Ohoni, although IIRC your opinions and mine on dubs differ dramatically.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
beast wrote:

Maybe not in cartoons, but definitely in common speech. I teach at an urban high school, and I know students who end sentences with catch-phrases just as often as Naruto uses "Believe it!" in the dub and for more or less the same purpose. Thus I don't see that quirk as odd at all. Is it annoying? Sure. But it's also part of their personal style, just like it is for Naruto.

Also people use catchphrases everyday Key, we just don't recognize them most of the time. If you watch an episode of SportsCenter your head would explode at all the poorly used ones. I remember when I competed in their Dream Job competition and one thing peolple were rehearsing was their catchphrases . . . "YAHTZEE!!" "I AM THE ALPHA AND OMEGA!" "HE PUT THE HAM IN THE HAMMALAMA DING-DONG!" and of course I had mine (Sweet sassy molassy). Wink

Heck, I have a ton myself (some I've posted on this board).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
In Fushigi Yugi, Chichiri ended most of his senteces with "No da!" (or "You Know" in the dubbed version). It all just depends on how annoying it gets to you or if you're able to tune it out.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Are you Japanese? Do you know what all the Japanese people think?

Are you? Do you? I rather doubt it?

Quote:
But it is not natural for normal Japanese to end all their sentences with dattebayo like they do with Desu.

This is true, it is not a USUAL thin, but it is an ACCEPTIBLE thing. It's a REASONABLE deviation in the Japanese language, something that fits fairly naturally into Japanese speech, much like the Canadian ", eh?". It may not seem totally in place, but it's certainly much LESS unnatural than "Believe it!" is in English, and it's not even a proper translation.

Quote:
Dattebayo might sound childish and annoying. But naruto fan will find it natural because they’re become accustomed to the way Naruto speak.

Honestly, I tend to drown it out most of the time, as most Japanese people do.

Quote:
And if you watch 100 episode of only the English dub Naruto, you will assume that the way he ends his sentences with "believe it" is just the natural way he speaks too.

Except that English speaking people don't do that. Name three other English speaking person, fictional or otherwise, who insert random phrases into their normal speech. I'll spot you Quagmire's "Giggidy". You ge tbonus points if the character is not in a slapstick comedy series.

Quote:
Everybody is different. We have a lot of rapper that end every sentence with "believe dat" or "ya heard me, son" and it might sound awkward to many people but to rap fans that grew up on slang, it’s natural for them.

That's because it's an accepted dialect. Naruto does not conform to any accepted dialect.

Quote:
Well you just have proven my point, Kunta. Even though you don't know the language, you just assume it sound more natural. Is it a bias opinion? Probably. You've grown so accustomed the voices and the speech pattern that no other way is the correct way.

And you make the much more common bias, that of assuming that you have no biases, and that everyone else is biased.

Quote:

Maybe not in cartoons, but definitely in common speech. I teach at an urban high school, and I know students who end sentences with catch-phrases just as often as Naruto uses "Believe it!" in the dub and for more or less the same purpose.

Like what?

Quote:

I disagree on that; I expect a certain level of competence in a dub performance and certainly come down on a series when I don't hear it. I don't hold original Japanese vocals up as exemplars of perfection, though, so I'm not going to blast a series just for not having Academy Award-level merit in its acting - unlike some people in this forum and others. (And no, I'm not necessarily talking about you, Ohoni, although IIRC your opinions and mine on dubs differ dramatically.)

For an anime dub to get a passing grade from me, it has to meet the same level as original English animation, such as Teen Titans, JLU, Ben 10, Kim Possible, Family Guy, American Dad, Boondocks, hell, Aquateen Hunger Force. So far, few anime I've seen on tv meet that standard, mainly just FMA, GitS, and Bebop.

Quote:

Heck, I have a ton myself (some I've posted on this board).

A "catch phrase" is kind of a different thing. For example, Bender has the catch phrase "Bite my shiny metal ass!", right? But he uses the phrase, he doesn't end random sentences with it. It's not like he goes "I'm going to go down to the store, bite my shiny metal ass!". The way Naruto employs his "Believe it!" is not the way one tastefully employs a catch phrase.

Quote:
In Fushigi Yugi, Chichiri ended most of his senteces with "No da!" (or "You Know" in the dubbed version). It all just depends on how annoying it gets to you or if you're able to tune it out.

Also Kenshin (from Rurouni Kenshin) and Kaede (from Negima)'s "De gozaru" ending, as well as numerous other eccentricities in various character's speach patterns. Japanese characters are thick with non-stamdard dialects and linguistic maneurisms in a way that just does not translate fluidly into English, any more than their constant use of honorifics, or of using "family" names in place of actual names, such as calling characters "brother", "sister", or "grampa" all the time.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
A "catch phrase" is kind of a different thing. For example, Bender has the catch phrase "Bite my shiny metal ass!", right? But he uses the phrase, he doesn't end random sentences with it. It's not like he goes "I'm going to go down to the store, bite my shiny metal ass!". The way Naruto employs his "Believe it!" is not the way one tastefully employs a catch phrase.

Well he fits perfectly here:

As far as Naruto goes I'll be the first to say I haven't watched many eps. but unless he says it 7-10 times an ep. you can't really hate to the degree I've seen around here, just my feeling.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
Watch, listen, then comment. An informed opinion is worth a dozen uninformed ones.
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:06 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's a REASONABLE deviation in the Japanese language, something that fits fairly naturally into Japanese speech, much like the Canadian ", eh?".

After being born and living in Canada all these years, I've yet to meet a Canadian that uses "eh", including myself.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And you make the much more common bias, that of assuming that you have no biases, and that everyone else is biased.

There's no such thing as someone who is unbias, but there are varying degrees. One sign of bias though are generalizations, blanket statements and obvious ignorance of the full spectrum of the subject; all things you've demonstrated. You generalize and pile all dubs in the same basket and you freely admit you don't purchase anime and watch fansubs so your exposure to dubs is limited to mostly television which is a very small and poor example of dubs as a whole.

I'd say a great many anime have well done dubs, but I'd also say that few of those are aired on television.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9