• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persuade me that Gurren Lagann is worth watching.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Dude that show is great! It's actually like two shows in one. Redefines the term "super robot". Like everyone says, this show is waaaaay over the top. If thats not your thing than don't waste your time with it.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
This thread is actually very helpful. I also had the same question. well i havnt seen any of Guren Lagann but i do know its popular. i am not a mecha fan but I have enjoyed a few series with mecha in then NGE making my top 3 anime of all time (so far) with Code Geass in the top 10.

I want to buy this series because it has just been released as a complete boxset here in Aus. The various comments have helped me realise while i would enjoy the series its not the type that I would go out of my way to watch, maybe ill borrow the dvd from my friends instead.

Aso just as a sidenote, I find this threads way more useful than individual reviews because I got multiple reactions to the show in its entirety. I have come to know what tastes certain users have so I can compare them to my own. I use the series discussion threads but those have spoilers I have to read ending up in having atleast the first 2 episodes "ruined" for me. It would be great if the mods allowed these threads and called them fan reaction threads or whatever i.e with no spoilers or major ones atleast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm going to echo the thoughts of swienke. I just finished TTGL 3 days ago. I started it maybe 4 months ago when I was looking for an interesting show to watch. I watched the first episode and thought it was just okay(the show was hyped up for me very much by a friend who loved it and told me it was one of those shows I HAD to watch). A week went by and I saw the second episode with the same indifferent feeling afterwords. I ended up ignoring the show for a couple months. I didn't hate it like I think you might have, but I certainly wasn't in a hurry to watch any more. Then about a week ago I was bored so I put on episode 3 and then 4 as background noise while I did other things. Thought a lot about dropping the show after 4 but couldn't do it because I really liked Kamina, thought Yoko was good, and thought Simon might have some potential if he could use his drill to dig up a backbone. I decided to give the show one last episode just to see if it could peak my interest. It did. Watched episode 6 and it was good too! Episode 7? Great. And episode 8 was my favorite one of the series. I ended up marathoning episodes 3-27 in 2 days.

Not really much else I can say that hasn't been better worded by the other posters.

Now excuse me for a second, there's something I need to do. I've been fighting the urge ever since I saw this thread. It's 3:45am here so I can't just yell it out or my neighbors will attack. I'll post it in spoiler tags so nobody has to read it if they don't want to. I'm sure plenty of people already know what's coming though.

spoiler[JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
Asking others to Persuade you to watch any show is rather pointless and seems disingenuous to me. I mean if you have already made up your mind you do or don't want to watch a show then why are you asking others to somehow change your mind? Shouldn't you make up your own mind for yourself? I think the previous comment that this is another "does this show get better" thread is pretty accurate. You seem to already have an opinion that it's not worth watching so why should we try and convince you otherwise? To somehow prove something to you? I assume you're smart and can read. I would further assume you've read various synopsis or threads on the show as you're familiar with it already. If that's not enough to convince you already I doubt anything that anyone here says will convince you as you've probably already heard everything any of us could say. Then again maybe I'm just too pessimistic. Maybe someone here can say something that will blow your mind and change your opinion instantly of the show.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This isn't well known because it's not printed on the packaging, but Gurren Lagann's subtitle is "Humanity, F*** Yeah! - The Anime." If you hate people, you'll hate Gurren Lagann.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah no kidding. If that first episode didn't do it for you, than nothing later in the series will interest you. Have you never wanted to break free of your boring life with an adventure that would pierce the heavens ?

Gurren Lagann was crazy back in 2007.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
First off, I didn't care for the tone of the first post either. But I'm pretty familiar with nbahn's post so I was kinda caught off guard at the tone so I just wrote it off to bad mood, lack of sleep, or something different from usual as nbahn clarifies.

Stopping at 15 minutes was a unique point to stop since toward the last part of the episode, it goes for a dramatic shift in tone to better match Kamina's over the top attitude. Majority of the first episode is exposition, character setup, and establishment of a world that literally comes crumbling down when we are finally introduced to the actual mechas and Yoko. Rather then Kamina standing out in the world, the world seems to join him and over the top mecha action ensues albeit in a weird non-traditional fashion with its unique mecha design and battle style that goes with it.

From there the series opens up to a new world, different from the subterranean world established in the beginning. The action only increases as well as the overall crazy style and energy that Kamina embodies. Amids the chaos we come across revealing development in Kamina's character as we learn more about him as he endures humility and mortality and see Simon's growth as a man. All that comes together in episode 3 where, in old school giant robot anime fashion, the two characters spirit and determination burn together and form the title robot Gurren Lagann where, in all Gainax badassary, they show how modern mecha series deliver a beat down.

In regards to appeal, there are basically 2 camps in those who like and love the series. One is the nostalgia aspect because the series is a modern interpretation of the classic "hot-blooded" mecha or giant robot series of old. That kind of over the top-ness of men in giant robots screaming and crying and drills. The other camp is just the appeal of such a crazy series with crazy visuals and action for those unfamiliar to the nostalgia side of the series.

While the first episode is a bit bland, the visuals do pick up to be vividly colorful and explosive despite taking place primarily in a wasteland. In the series, logic gives way to hot-blooded passion where that energy seems to shape the world. But the visuals and attitude aren't the only thing. The characters are also a draw once the series starts going. Their drive and development are a big draw and it all comes to a climax in episode 8 of the series with a big, but traditional, twist; only to give way to new drive and development by episode 11.

It really is a great series and it's a shame if you don't give the series a least a couple episodes before passing off on it.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Alright. Persuade you? Hm. I'll give it a shot:

Consider yourself persuaded. Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Yeah no kidding. If that first episode didn't do it for you, than nothing later in the series will interest you. Have you never wanted to break free of your boring life with an adventure that would pierce the heavens?

Never mind the never ending power up and mechas bigger than the moon throwing galaxies at each other as if they were fighting with pillows.
Glorious visuals, too.

I've also despised a few series back in my day, and could hardly get past a few minutes (Mushi-shi was one). So, if it helps, I recommend revisiting it later. Let the time do some work on your nostalgia.
But if you keep telling yourself you hate it, that's probably what's gonna happen.

Also, if you still want to force yourself to watch it now, you might prefer to give the movies a shot since they're a compressed version 3 or so times shorter.

But it's not like I want to convince you or anything.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I want to thank everyone who took the time to offer their opinions; in particular, I want to thank (in no particular order):
  • willag, for displaying his passion for a series that I find myself unable to appreciate (at present, anyway -- if SciFi/Syfy ever broadcasts it again, then I promise to grit my teeth and watch it at least through ep.#7). When I read the impassioned argument for Simon being worthy of the Cool Character Tournament, my immediate thought was something along the lines of, "if he feels this way, then maybe others will not only feel that way, but be able to show me something that I missed had I only stuck to it longer."
  • swienke, Nosferatu & Psycho101: Your extended and thoughtful replies are greatly appreciated.
  • Dorcas_Aurelia: Thank you for drawing my attention to the questionable tone of my OP (although I wasn't able to do much about it).
  • vastoceans: Thank you for going to the trouble of providing a link to other opinions!
  • Servant of the Path: Thank you for taking the time to enter your thoughts on the matter; yours is the kind of response that I was hoping for -- and I am grateful for that.

I suppose that the reason for the dearth of details explaining my dissatisfaction with what I saw is that to me, it's a painful memory. I do recall thinking that it seemed to be aimed at prepubescent children (possibly just boys).
  • allblentyn, naninanino, v1clous, ohonl, notrogersmith*, Kruszer, mglittlerobin, ArsenicSteel, luffypirate85, Veers & OtakuExile: Thank you all for your various replies.
  • TatsuGero23: Thank you for going to the trouble of typing out that extended analysis and critique; I really appreciate it very much.
  • egoist: Thank you very much for the advice.
@kiddtic:
May I suggest that, in the future, if you wish to obtain a variety of opinions -- sans spoilers -- then you may want to consider starting a thread in which you explicitly state that you don't want to be exposed to spoilers; and then stating what you do know about the series, along with examples of series that you hate and that you love.

@John Casey:
Something seems to have happened to that image that you had posted! EDIT: Never mind, it's now back.

*I like your avatar design!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2