• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Qwaser of Stigmata Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
HitoKiri, I'm not sure how that example indicts me.

I enjoy some violence-soaked works. That doesn't mean I am a mindless fan of them--I'd never write one soaked in ultra-gore, as I find that kind of thing tasteless and not really that interesting--unless it's intentionally ridiculous a la MadWorld.

The example indicts you because that's exactly what Qwaser of Stigmata is.

But you seem to miss the parallel time and time again because OMGWTFTITTIESEVERYWHEREPANIC

Violence-soaked works are fine. Sex-soaked works are fine. If something bothers you, be a grown-up and don't watch it. There is no problem looking for a solution here. Stay out of my living room.
41alms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
This is the kind of stuff people love and watch anime for; the stuff you wont see anywhere else.

Speak for yourself. For the 50-60 people in my anime club we did not watch anime because of Qwaser. If we wanted to see tits there are all sorts of other avenues where we could get that. Whereas, where could we get the social commentary of Kino's Journey or Time of Eve? Or where could we get the franticly paced yet well told Baccano? Or the captivating characters like Nodame and Chiaki from Nodame Cantabile?

If the 'stuff [you] love and watch anime for' is boobs and more boobs, then honestly, I honestly pity you because you haven't even seen the vast potential of the anime medium.

Ew, an anime club. Please don't attack the minority who actually like some cleavage in their shows, it makes you look like a [removed].

[Mod Edit: Sorry, but that is not an acceptable term as it could be both insulting and a form of hate speech; neither of which are acceptable on these forums. - Keonyn]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
41alms wrote:

Ew, an anime club. Please don't attack the minority who actually like some cleavage in their shows, it makes you look like a [removed].

Can we not use that term, 'k thanks
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
the show is licensed get the hell over it already. If you hate it go to www.blogger.com or www.wordpress.com. Start up a blog on anime titles you hate and why, gain a following, ?????, Profit. The shit is really getting old at this point and it just needs to stop. This includes personal attacks on people despite weird fetishes or Elitism where "my opinion is all that matters, this shi* should never be licensed because I hate it."

So make a dam* blog and share it with your friends, I mean it's so darn easy even a 13 yr old can do it.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
41alms wrote:

Can we not use that term, 'k thanks

I don't see why not that's another thing that urks me. Oh you like anime girls with big breast flaunt what they have, well watching should make you feel bad and your sexist pig becasue of it because I say so, Is B.S. I will not excuse myself for liking mindless dribble no matter how tasteless it is. FYI all of my former bosses have been female and are hell of lot stronger than me, I'm for equal rights not being told how to feel while watching a cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I don't see why not that's another thing that urks me. Oh you like anime girls with big breast flaunt what they have, well watching should make you feel bad and your sexist pig becasue of it because I say so, Is B.S. I will not excuse myself for liking mindless dribble no matter how tasteless it is. FYI all of my former bosses have been female and are hell of lot stronger than me, I'm for equal rights not being told how to feel while watching a cartoon.

Don't use that term. Period.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Why? I get people not liking this title. I don't get people who don't want people who did to have the chance to own it or to watch it legally.

It is a case of fear of association. Some people want all anime to be what they consider is acceptable, so that when others see it, they won't have the fear of them seeing it and saying, "Oh, so that's what you're into".

It makes me glad that I learned early in life to pay give little credence to what opinion others have of me, especially those that do not directly impact my life.

EDIT: Corrected grammatical error.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Welp, good luck to Zombie ADV, I wish all the breast for them.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Speak for yourself. For the 50-60 people in my anime club we did not watch anime because of Qwaser. If we wanted to see tits there are all sorts of other avenues where we could get that. Whereas, where could we get the social commentary of Kino's Journey or Time of Eve? Or where could we get the franticly paced yet well told Baccano? Or the captivating characters like Nodame and Chiaki from Nodame Cantabile?

If the 'stuff [you] love and watch anime for' is boobs and more boobs, then honestly, I honestly pity you because you haven't even seen the vast potential of the anime medium.

I love when people think it's flat out impossible to have fanservice as well as developed characters and story, and can't comprehend people watch shows for more than just one thing. It's like they're too simple minded to perceive more than one thing at a time. If someone's missing out on the true potential of anime, it's definitely not me. I can assure you I've seen more than you just on the grounds I don't make snap dismissals like that.

41alms wrote:

Considering Qwaser sold better than most of the stuff they listed (enough to last 3 cours no less).. I don't think we're the ones in the minority.

TheAncientOne wrote:
It is a case of fear of association. Some people want all anime to be what they consider it acceptable, so that when others see it, they won't have the fear of them seeing it and saying, "Oh, so that's what you're into".

Then you watch a kid's show like Pocket Monsters and see guys crossdressing and being flamboyant and other guys being pedophiles to little girls. Or Dragonball where Roshi gets off to watching Bulma take a dump on the toilet. Seriously, what anime doesn't have some kind of questionable material in it? No matter what anime you choose, the 'normal' person can find something off about it. Trying to deny key culture points of a medium is quite silly.
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
It is a case of fear of association. Some people want all anime to be what they consider it acceptable, so that when others see it, they won't have the fear of them seeing it and saying, "Oh, so that's what you're into".

That’s a futile effort anyway. Granted anime like Qwaser don’t help anime’s image but anime far less controversial than Qwaser can get that kind of reaction from some people. You can get strange looks from people for liking Cowboy Bebop or Bleach or whatever (really basically any anime in general). I wouldn’t waste time worrying about the image of anime in the minds of others.
Betenoire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
You can get strange looks from people for liking Cowboy Bebop or Bleach or whatever (really basically any anime in general).

Agreed and that is because to a large number of people anime is just cartoons (which in fairness it is) and cartoons are for kids (minus a few Sunday night shows and whatever Comedy Central puts on for however many weeks.

Now it may seem unfair because one can point to all the nuanced work, all the intellectual pieces on the meaning of man or even action pieces that would make Hollywood writers crawl into a hole in embarrassment (assuming the writers of such epics as Battleship are capible of feeling shame and wouldn't just ripoff everything they see) but to many you show them any of these works and they think "Mickey Mouse" and they stop listening to you. Any of them who hear of something like Qwaser are probably already disposed of thinking of anime in a bad light (What with their being a large number of pron shops in the country and many of them carrying hentai already...or has that changed?) so what they see just reinforces the opinion they already had.

Thing is if it weren't for Qwaser they would just find something else that was questionable or had moments that could be construed as such (you know, like about half of CLAMP's works) and latch on to that to "prove" their opinion. Besides, its questionable this will even see much space in a mainstream retailer to begin with so most the people who hear of it are looking for a reason to hate anime- and if the title isn't in America they will simply hear of "that objectionable title from Japan" which proves their point.

Is it an unfair stereotype? Yep, but trying to argue with someone who has their mind set (which is the people who would likely be most "offended" by this are the kind who aren't going to change their opinions no matter what you say as they always have some counter, even if it is a non sequitur.

Maybe this release *might* cause a person on the fence to go to the other side but it takes a bit of a leap to brand all of one medium with the sins of a given release. All movies aren't pron simply because the pron industry makes (close to) as many or more releases a year as Hollywood or even that all Will Smith movies are horrible just because he was in Wild Wild West.

The only change that the public is going to have with these perceptions is over time. Perhaps when the fans who came into anime during the boom and have since vanished (or just stopped consuming in a way to make the industry viable) get older and have kids who are interested in anime the kids won't get that deer in headlights look.

Or maybe the perception won't change. Comic books are still seen as for kids and the Simpsons Comic Book type guys yet given Avengers just became the third highest money maker of all time (yes I know, non inflation adjusted) and this summer is still to see Spiderman and Dark Night rises open, clearly the public appetite for the characters and their tales exists, even if their original medium is still shunned. But one title like Qwasar, one from Miyazaki or Oshii or even a major sensation like Pokemon was isn't going to tip the balance irreversibly as a whole in one direction or another.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
This is the kind of stuff people love and watch anime for; the stuff you wont see anywhere else.

Yes, those shows are nice and may tell a deeper tale, with some philosophical musings, but those qualities aren't the exclusive purview of anime either. Just like your statement about getting boobs anywhere, the same can be applied where you can get similar social commentary in many other non-anime shows as well.

Quote:

But just like if you want to concentrate on the specifics of the shows above and conclude they are only found those particular anime (as opposed to the general themes or the social commentary), the same can be said of Qwaser, Mayuu Hikenchou, etc. and other similar shows. The specific traits they have really are unique to anime. The situational comedy and ecchi scenes and the fictitious fetish portrayals, as well the body proportions and gravity defying boobs, etc are not to be found anywhere else.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
are you serious bro?!

cue biggest spit take of the year really anime known for drinking "milk" power-up get a license?!

cue joey styles' OH MY GOD!!! on this yea if somehow later on get dub cue WHAT?!
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
Subbed-only? Pass!
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
I just wanna be part of the lulz.

And I find Katja to be a very interesting character.

Hell, if soccer moms can have their Christopher Gray, why can't I have my Katja yumminess?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
& with pick-up indeed only matter til door knocks til we manyuu get license too?!

oh my cue some going like YES YES YES while others going NO NO NO as for me i like this is curve ball pick-up license spit take of the year.

besides even IF did get dub any ten dollars guess who english va will be on it?

overall i'm total WHAT like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TozoL_P0804 indeed only way i buy it also include a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 19