• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How can I add info without a link?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asuka Langley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I get the name of a dubber of an anime role just recognizing him during the play or reading his name during the closing credits of the episode/movie.
And then I don't have a link to put in the "URL field" when adding the info to ANN.
And, because of this, I can't add the info.

What should I do in these cases?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
You shouldn't really submit voices you just "recognize" because you can't guarantee the accuracy. ^^;

However... if you see something in the credits and want to submit it, you can just explain it in the URL field. That field isn't meant ONLY for websites; it's good for backup, but if you say "listed in DVD credits" or something that's fine too. We just like to know where things come from so that if somebody says it's wrong we can look at your source and check it. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:40 pm Reply with quote
oh that's great! i've always wanted to post information but i always didn't know what to do about the website

for example i submited some azumanga daioh trivia about a cameo, but i couldn't submit it because it was book , not a website.. so i just put in a random website...

i think i'll go change it now
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
so i just put in a random website...

That would be very irresponsible. A brief description about your source material, even not an URL (like, "I've read AzuDai manga and it's on vol. X, page YY"), would be much better than a random URL (e.g. Google, Amazon, or even ANN).

If you could guarantee the information you supplied is 100% correct, fine then. However, if your entries are reported erroneous multiple times with a false and/or unrelated URL/explanation, you could be banned for that. There were several users who either entered gibberish or a legitimate yet completely irrelevant URL and, after being warned several times without improvement, got banned from entering additional information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wao

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote
I always always chicken out and put "episode xx credits" because I add credits as I watch the episode and it's usually the most accurate to look at the credits directly - sometimes there are errors (even on m-satomi's site and so on), sometimes you can't find them online. and I'm too lazy to write anything longer unless it's something unusual. I hope nobody's minded it... Of course sometimes there are errors on the damn credits themselves too but those can't be helped.

But if it's about trivia or it's a show description or something like that, then I suppose it's better to give a proper explanation/reference, isnt it? I guess it's also better to show a reference or take a screenshot if you're trying to correct errenous information since you took the trouble to go correct it and you need to explain not just why the other guy is wrong, but also why you're correct... I guess...
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
Occassionally, you can check on IMDB.com and get fairly accurate cast listings for many anime titles. I've used that as a corroborating source URL (just gave the direct link to the page with the appropriate info) a few times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1