• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Think Of The Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's the thing: let's give these "kids" some credit. They're just as comfortable watching YouTube and Netflix on their phones and computers and video game systems as we were, growing up, watching whatever linear cable channel deemed worthy of our attention

Dude, tell me about it. My son (10yo, ASD), spends hours poking through YouTube on the iPad and Apple TV, and free-associating the related videos has led him to various discoveries. He got into the "Kevin's TV" meme and that made him a huge Ed, Edd, n Eddy fan long after the show wrapped (complete with lots of problems with him calling the other kids in school "dorks"), and that meme in turn led him to "X makes Mikuru cry", though (fortunately) he has not shown an interest in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Watching hours of DDR and StepMania menus on YouTube -- I did mention the autism thing, right? -- also has exposed him to anime opens from various users' personal stepcharts, which is why I always pop to attention when I hear "Connect" from Madoka Magica coming out of his iPad.

So, don't fear, the kids are being exposed to anime. Whether they choose to dig further is up to them and whether they want to make Mikuru cry.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
He got into the "Kevin's TV" meme and that made him a huge Ed, Edd, n Eddy fan long after the show wrapped (complete with lots of problems with him calling the other kids in school "dorks"),

HA HA HA HAAAA!! Laughing

Ya know, me and my two closest friends back in the 4th grade got to know each because of that show and how we use to play make-believe, acting as the Eds (though we never went as far to do anything we could've got in trouble for). Not that I'm encouraging how your son got influenced into that show, but I just find it hilarious how he got into it because of a meme from that show. Heck, I'm surprised that show has even spawned internet memes! Most of anything from before the 2000s that isn't still running to this day hasn't influenced people to come up with memes and some shows from the 90s had quotes and scenes that you'd think would be a no-brainer for that sort of thing.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hell I've waited six to seven years for higursahi kai, [...] and even five years for dennou coil to get localized sometimes a persons patience just runs out.

/looks at licensed copies on his shelf

You can get them from Siren Visual in Australia if you have a region-agnostic (or region 4) method to play them.

Kai might get licensed for region 1, but I heard Dennou Coil's rights were held by a book publisher who's not interested in overseas licensing; Siren only got it because someone there had a friend with the JP company, or something along those lines.

hmm I need do to really invest in region free player at this point. I tell people to buy r4 dvd's all the time and I still do invest the money in doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, do we ever not agree about Les Mis. I think there was one Dutch angle that bothered, and the rest absolutely blew me away. One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time, and a much better use of 3 hours of my life than The Hobbit.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Take, for example, Garden of Sinners. The only way I can legally see this show is by spending $100+ on a DVD set. No legal stream available anywhere, not even limited to premium members of legal streaming sites...

It was made available for SD rental via the Playstation Network last September, at the very least. Not sure if that's still available or not, though pulling the plug before the priced down DVD set would be pretty silly of Aniplex, woulnd't it...

Is there any "moral" argument against piracy when you've actually paid for the product you pirated? I can't wrap my skull around that. To whit, I have a 100% true story to share, and while not quite the same, perhaps it's worth sharing anyway:

Several months ago, I bought the latest version of a piece of software that I'd used in the past. Didn't work on the new machine I built. Went through Tech Support, googled my ass off, the whole nine yards. Didn't work - still don't understand why. After a week of fussing with it, I found a "warez" version that installed without a hitch. I have little doubt that I broke the law when I resorted to using a pirated version of the software, but I've literally paid the manufacturer for their product. Does it make a difference? And if so, to who? I have my software, they have their money. If this isn't "morally justified piracy", I can't fathom what else to call it.

Fansubs can be that stop-gap to the same ends, if "supporting the industry" is the end goal for anime. Yes, you're breaking the law to watch the show, but if it made you spend money on an insanely expensive line of PVC figures and a dozen artbooks, they've made more money off of you than if you're a Crunchy Roll subscriber and watch "legal" streams for pennies an episode. The morality of how you support something is irrelevant, so long as support is shown in some fashion.

For what it's worth, I tend to think anyone giving the person who wrote in flack for stealing Penguindrum when they've spent several hundred dollars supporting the show really needs to STFU. It's just not a moral issue at that point, and I can't understand why anyone would treat it like it was one.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Take, for example, Garden of Sinners. The only way I can legally see this show is by spending $100+ on a DVD set. No legal stream available anywhere, not even limited to premium members of legal streaming sites...

It was made available for SD rental via the Playstation Network last September, at the very least. Not sure if that's still available or not, though pulling the plug before the priced down DVD set would be pretty silly of Aniplex, woulnd't it...

Yeah, that was before I had my playstation, and it was a timed rental. At least, I couldn't find it the last time I looked.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
If Son Goku is your moral compass, you're either watching the English dubbed version or [insults are not acceptable]

- Constantly murdering perfectly sentient, often talking, animals.

- Mercilessly kills Red Ribbon Army soldiers... pretty much all of them, some of whom posed no real or even intended threat to him

- Plows right through Piccolo Daimao

- Attempts to assault God

- Drags an entire island of spectators into his personal war because he wanted to win a tournament, everyone nearly dies

- Constantly abandons wife and son

- Lets vicious killer go uncaptured so he can fight him later, despite killer's promise to kill everyone next time he's around and near victory in doing just that

- Has a chance to stop killer androids before they're activated, turns it down so he can fight them, because fighting is fun

- Puts son in harm's way by having him fight Cell

- Basically gets Kaio, Bubbles, and Gregory killed

- Assists Babidi in awakening Buu by fighting Vegeta on Earth, instead of, I don't know, teleporting them somewhere else where their ki can't be collected by him

- Initially refuses to beat Buu because "the youngins should take care of this"

- Kills Buu

- Doesn't talk to close friends for several years, only does so because there's a new fighting tournament coming up

- Abandons family to go train little boy he just met

Not exactly "the answer to all living things that call out for peace", now is it, Funimation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Is there any "moral" argument against piracy when you've actually paid for the product you pirated? I can't wrap my skull around that. To whit, I have a 100% true story to share, and while not quite the same, perhaps it's worth sharing anyway:

Several months ago, I bought the latest version of a piece of software that I'd used in the past. Didn't work on the new machine I built. Went through Tech Support, googled my ass off, the whole nine yards. Didn't work - still don't understand why. After a week of fussing with it, I found a "warez" version that installed without a hitch. I have little doubt that I broke the law when I resorted to using a pirated version of the software, but I've literally paid the manufacturer for their product. Does it make a difference? And if so, to who? I have my software, they have their money. If this isn't "morally justified piracy", I can't fathom what else to call it.

Fansubs can be that stop-gap to the same ends, if "supporting the industry" is the end goal for anime. Yes, you're breaking the law to watch the show, but if it made you spend money on an insanely expensive line of PVC figures and a dozen artbooks, they've made more money off of you than if you're a Crunchy Roll subscriber and watch "legal" streams for pennies an episode. The morality of how you support something is irrelevant, so long as support is shown in some fashion.

For what it's worth, I tend to think anyone giving the person who wrote in flack for stealing Penguindrum when they've spent several hundred dollars supporting the show really needs to STFU. It's just not a moral issue at that point, and I can't understand why anyone would treat it like it was one.

Basically, the issue is that something is bad when it causes harm, but piracy mimics the acts of stealing without the associated harm. When you steal bread, someone loses a loaf of bread. When you "steal" an anime, the anime is still there. The only harm it can cause is by a lost sale, which is not only unlikely but impossible if the show isn't licensed. That's why Answerman never actually addresses anything in the letter, but simply goes off about how it's wrong because someone goes to the effort of defending the practice (with no comment on the significance of his efforts to attack it).
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Man, do we ever not agree about Les Mis. I think there was one Dutch angle that bothered, and the rest absolutely blew me away. One of the best films I've seen in a long, long time, and a much better use of 3 hours of my life than The Hobbit.

As far as three-hour movies go, it wasn't a waste of time. I thoroughly enjoyed it, quite frankly. And, honestly, I dislike musicals.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:

Is there any "moral" argument against piracy when you've actually paid for the product you pirated? I can't wrap my skull around that.
The morality of how you support something is irrelevant, so long as support is shown in some fashion.

There actually is a moral argument against piracy, even if you've paid for the product you pirated. Piracy supporters tend to focus on the economics of the issue, assuming that the only thing lost when a work is pirated is the price for the initial viewing. It's actually a lot more than that, though.

Whenever you view a pirated work, you're basically supporting the idea that you don't need permission from the artist to enjoy their creation. You're supporting the idea that the artist shouldn't have the right to control who can see the works they create and under what circumstances, and that the consumer should have complete copying and distribution control over an artist's work under whatever notion they believe constitutes a fair exchange.

The thing is, artists care for more than just being paid for their work. They also want to have a sense of ownership, and to set the guidelines for how they profit off of works that may have taken them a lifetime of effort and sacrifice to create. Piracy unfairly takes those rights that they've worked for away and gives it to anyone and everyone. A pirate may feel justified because they've more than compensated for the cost of the initial free viewing, but that compensation comes at an additional as yet unpaid cost --- the ownership rights that were taken away from the artist. I think that's the main reason why piracy can't really be justified.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Kakugo wrote:

Is there any "moral" argument against piracy when you've actually paid for the product you pirated? I can't wrap my skull around that.
The morality of how you support something is irrelevant, so long as support is shown in some fashion.

There actually is a moral argument against piracy, even if you've paid for the product you pirated. Piracy supporters tend to focus on the economics of the issue, assuming that the only thing lost when a work is pirated is the price for the initial viewing. It's actually a lot more than that, though.

Whenever you view a pirated work, you're basically supporting the idea that you don't need permission from the artist to enjoy their creation. You're supporting the idea that the artist shouldn't have the right to control who can see the works they create and under what circumstances, and that the consumer should have complete copying and distribution control over an artist's work under whatever notion they believe constitutes a fair exchange.

The thing is, artists care for more than just being paid for their work. They also want to have a sense of ownership, and to set the guidelines for how they profit off of works that may have taken them a lifetime of effort and sacrifice to create. Piracy unfairly takes those rights that they've worked for away and gives it to anyone and everyone. A pirate may feel justified because they've more than compensated for the cost of the initial free viewing, but that compensation comes at an additional as yet unpaid cost --- the ownership rights that were taken away from the artist. I think that's the main reason why piracy can't really be justified.

Then at the same time, do you think these same artists would reject the money foreigners give them that they wouldn't have otherwise seen if they didn't buy merchandise after watching fansubs? I doubt it. I'm sure they'll take any sales they get, in any way it comes.

Plus really, when it comes down to it, its no different watching a fansub than watching a DVR recording, which is what most anime fans in Japan do. Not everyone is staying up till 2 AM to watch anime, so thats the most effective way.. and you're skipping the commercials that way and you're not watching it at the time and with the ads like the creator wanted, so its pretty much like a fansub. But the creators are more than happy to take their money for merchandise, since the initial airing is only an advertisement (hence why they have to pay for the timeslot in the first place, its an advanced version of infomercials). All that matters in the end to them is the money they get out of it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The 48fps projection is a lot better than you'd worried about

This confuses me, I thought doubled-rates were supposed to save us (or at least provide some relief until the guy making Battle Angel Alita comes through with his even faster tech.)

Good synopsis on Skyfall, but you left out that dretch Wreck-it-Ralph from the list. My expectations going in were quite low and it couldn't even meet those (just two briefly funny parts, both at the end.) In looking back, I don't think I figured out the reveal because the mind was too far checked-out on whether it would get any worse.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As digital and on-demand as we will become, we still won't ever possess 70+ft diagonal 2.35:1 movie screens with $200k projectors and 20 speakers. Nothing will ever replicate a good movie theater for normal middle classers. I like that.

Wouldn't be surprised if you could get the same effect at home for under a 1/10 of that within 5-years. At this point, theatres are looking to be more of a social occasion than the best way to experience movies.

many posters wrote:
questions on how Brian says piracy cannot be "justified" but

I think the distinction comes down to jusitification (right/wrong) versus rationalization. You can have reasons for the wrong act, but it's still a wrong act, and the only way to make the decision just is if the other options are more-wrong. And closest this debate ever gets to that is fansubbers versus rippers (just answer: neither.)

Kakugo wrote:

Fair use of a derivative product for compatibility purposes. But you had the license first, which is not trying to white-wash or atone for a prior act.

TitanXL wrote:
Even just importing a few 450 yen manga volumes does more, because your sales will actually be counted in that weekly ranking chart, unlike if you bought American.

From today's feed... animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-28/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-december-16-22

It's a different ranking chart, but I suspect the Japanese publishers have no problem with being able to list NYT#1s on a spec sheet for their property.

penguintruth wrote:
- Has a chance to stop killer androids before they're activated, turns it down so he can fight them, because fighting is fun

Unless this is an English edit, you're thinking of Vegeta, because Goku was sick in bed with his delayed heart-virus.

Hypeathon wrote:
Most of anything from before the 2000s that isn't still running to this day hasn't influenced people to come up with memes and some shows from the 90s had quotes and scenes that you'd think would be a no-brainer for that sort of thing.

CN still runs some of their classics on Fridays under the Cartoon Planet slot and various times weekend mornings.

Melanchthon wrote:
[Back in the day] a friend sent me a link to a fansub site. [...] Of course, these days the PC thing to do is point people towards Crunchyroll,

*rimshot*
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Plus really, when it comes down to it, its no different watching a fansub than watching a DVR recording, which is what most anime fans in Japan do. Not everyone is staying up till 2 AM to watch anime, so thats the most effective way.. and you're skipping the commercials that way and you're not watching it at the time and with the ads like the creator wanted, so its pretty much like a fansub. But the creators are more than happy to take their money for merchandise, since the initial airing is only an advertisement (hence why they have to pay for the timeslot in the first place, its an advanced version of infomercials). All that matters in the end to them is the money they get out of it.

This is an issue most people tend to forget or neglect. Anime sales only represent the hardcore who want to actually own the series. There's far more people who just watch it on TV and then move on and never buy it. That's why it's usually the otaku BDs that sell the most rather than the mainstream stuff like Detective Conan or Naruto; more hardcore fans. You can just equate the people who watch fansubs and don't spend any money on the home video release or merchandise with the people who just watch shows on TV. This isn't like video games where you have to buy it to legally play it, or movies for that matter (unless you wait for the movie to air on TV). Television is an entirely separate thing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Unless this is an English edit, you're thinking of Vegeta, because Goku was sick in bed with his delayed heart-virus.

I mean back when Trunks warned him. Bulma suggested they go and stop Dr. Gero before the androids were activated. Vegeta violently objected and Bulma said it's too risky to let them be activated just to save his pride so she tries to get Goku on her side. Goku says that he's more interested in fighting them, too. Kuririn reasons that they need a common enemy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
From today's feed... animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-28/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-december-16-22

It's a different ranking chart, but I suspect the Japanese publishers have no problem with being able to list NYT#1s on a spec sheet for their property.

Spec sheet for who, exactly? The Japanese generally don't care for American comics so I can't see who would care about that cliffnote. Regardless, it's pretty deceptive to list that; the American market is notoriously small. You only have to sell in the thousands to hit #1 in a month that's not a very impressive feat. For comparison, in France, you'd have to sell in the hundreds of thousands to make their yearly charts... and France's population isn't anywhere near as big as America's. If they wanted a bullet point for whatever sales data, they'd sooner care what France or any other country with a stronger comic market has at their top spot than America's. America's comic market isn't known for being that big, unlike various European countries. The only American market they would care about is movies, since Hollywood is so dominate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6