• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminal Dogma: Essays on Neon Genesis Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
It's a bit sad that this gets a entire book devoted to its analysis before many more deserving series, but I can't say I didn't expect it. On the possitive end of things, I'm sure gatsu's take on things will be amusing.

On the contrary, if other series' were so "deserving" it would have happened.

Throw a fanbase a bone, and they will bite. The semiotics of Evangelion are begging to be thoroughly analyzed by a group or person.

Unless the pop culture reference in Eureka 7 are somehow subject to more thorough analysis?

Nooo, if the anime fanbase recognised more intelligent series rather than overblown, fanboy-oriented shows with shallow symbolism then we might see more attention given to things like Haibane Renmei or Mind Game. But since Eva is in a familar format (angsty teens pilot mechs), has pretty standard plotting until the last couple of episodes and TELLS you how important it is, it gets all the attention. For the record I don't hate Eva like many; it's entertaining, with interesting direction and a "trainwreak" kind of appeal to it. I even found Anno's gross misuse of directorial control interesting. But the deepest, most thought-provoking series ever created? Give me a break.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
It's a bit sad that this gets a entire book devoted to its analysis before many more deserving series, but I can't say I didn't expect it. On the possitive end of things, I'm sure gatsu's take on things will be amusing.

Throw a fanbase a bone, and they will bite. The semiotics of Evangelion are begging to be thoroughly analyzed by a group or person.

Unless the pop culture reference in Eureka 7 are somehow subject to more thorough analysis?

Nooo, if the anime fanbase recognised more intelligent series rather than overblown, fanboy-oriented shows with shallow symbolism then we might see more attention given to things like Haibane Renmei or Mind Game. But since Eva is in a familar format (angsty teens pilot mechs), has pretty standard plotting until the last couple of episodes and TELLS you how important it is, it gets all the attention. For the record I don't hate Eva like many; it's entertaining, with interesting direction and a "trainwreak" kind of appeal to it. I even found Anno's gross misuse of directorial control interesting. But the deepest, most thought-provoking series ever created? Give me a break.

Well, i'd have to disagree.

The chaos, confusion, and "WTF?!" aspects of the series are part of its charm. Besides, what other series do you know has three (soon to be four) endings all in the same universe?

Maybe i'm just taken but I enjoy the angstier aspects of Drama, I think they more or less reflect real life more realistically then anything else, because often we do have alot of angst in our lives. I mean, yes, they are incredibly troubled as human beings but you also have to analyze their positions. I think Shinji and Asuka are already broken human beings to begin with, you throw them into Eva, and voila, they are near destroyed.

Unfortunately, I think Eva is one of those series that has "It's uberly popular with alot of merit so I am going to dislike it" syndrome.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there's only two endings at the moment.(Death & Rebirth is only the series compressed into one hour plus the first half hour of End of Evangelion)

Anyway, I'd probably buy this book, if good ol' Wikipedia didn't already have the same information. Wink
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
An Evanlgelion book asking for fan essays as well as its own academic essays...

HEAD EXPLODES

Amazing.

There's one particular essay I've had in mind, linking Eva with at least one psychological issue. Though certainly there are a number of psychological issues Eva touches on, intentional or not. Also, I think it reflects the personal crisis and problems Anno may have gone through from which Eva sprung from.

Evangellion has been a quite personal show to me and one that I love. Even having a shot at submiting an essay for a book would be amazing. Of course, that means I have to get off my rump and start writing. Though I indended to do that in general more anyway.

As for fancomics... a friend and I ran a Evangelion parody webcomic for a couple of years. Sadly it's now quite dead, but I keep meaning to archive the strips we still have.

I admit I passed on this guy's Oshii book because I just hadn't seen enough of them. In particular I hadn't watched my DVD of Avalon and I hadn't yet bought that box set of live films (which I recently did). Though I should pick it up as I do enjoy Oshii.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

Well, maybe Haibane Renmei is more inteligent than Eva. Though does it have the fans who are willing to write essays? In America at that. Not really.

Though personally, I'd love to see a book looking at Lain. I also want to see it again, but that was as psychologically jarring as Eva, if not moreso.

Mind you, many people have written books on Star Trek, Star Wars, and Buffy. I'm not talking just eposode guides. Books with essays looking at everything from characters to physics.

A professor at my college even has a book about the politics of Star Trek coming out. It's acutally pretty interesting as the show had a bunch of interesting politics and hypothetical situations. It was almost as much political theory fiction as it was science theory fiction.

It's pretty impressive that a show like Eva even aproaches something like Star Trek in that it could get a book published.

Then again, this author already stuck out his neck and made a book about a relatively obscure Japanese director in his Oshii book.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:

Well, i'd have to disagree.

The chaos, confusion, and "WTF?!" aspects of the series are part of its charm. Besides, what other series do you know has three (soon to be four) endings all in the same universe?

Maybe i'm just taken but I enjoy the angstier aspects of Drama, I think they more or less reflect real life more realistically then anything else, because often we do have alot of angst in our lives. I mean, yes, they are incredibly troubled as human beings but you also have to analyze their positions. I think Shinji and Asuka are already broken human beings to begin with, you throw them into Eva, and voila, they are near destroyed.

Unfortunately, I think Eva is one of those series that has "It's uberly popular with alot of merit so I am going to dislike it" syndrome.

You see, I don't mean to say that it's pointless to analyse Eva, because there is discusion to be had; I'd even be willing to participate in it, reguardless of whether or not I feel the show is overated and some of the themes are poorly explored. That doesn't make it a great show, nor does it mean that critical discusion of it should take priority to superior shows that are not only better, but manage to say much more without sledgehammer-style symbolism and "end-of-the-world" metaphors. It's like the Matrix trilogy: if you look, there's alot of stuff that can be analyzed and pondered over. Does that mean it deserves more attention that another Christian-themed film such as Andrei Rubalev, which is not only a better movie than the Matrix, but also is a better exploration of Christianity ("Whoa, Neo is totally Jesus!") Of course the former gets attention because it's an entertaining action flick, while the later is in Russian (which means "slow" for many film fans) and is three hours. It's the same situation with Eva and Haibane Renmei: the later has FAR more substance and is a better show in ever sense, yet it doesn't have giant robots kicking the shit out of eachother and delivers the themes rather subtly, meaning that it isn't going to appeal to as wide an audience.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
God forbid fans like to analyze their favourtie show! I mean, how dare they like Eva and read into all of its insanity! Please, let's all put them down.

Personally, I think Eva is pretty cool. Not so much insanely deep, but it would be interesting to read these.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
manmanportty wrote:
Paranoia Agent or Utena is more deseving.

Why? It is eva, No matter what it is a Huge thing. hate it or worship it, it does not matter. If any thing I am suprised that this has not been done before.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
As much of a fan as I am of Evangelion, I can only take this bit of news as a possible text variation of the misleading and overall bad commentary that was gone for the movies by Manga Entertainment and the series by ADV, save for the first episode or two. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but if Sean McCoy puts his "intelligent" views in on this, then it loses any credibility it might have had.

GATSU wrote:
Do fans have to be unlike Anno, and do research and stuff? Rolling Eyes

Come now, from what little I've seen, you can do better than that, Gatsu!

silver_omicron wrote:

It's simply the matter of certain anime being neglected. Don't think of like "Well, seemingly no one else is attempting to do this with other series, so they aren't as deserving!" or something along those lines.

Kagemusha wrote:
Nooo, if the anime fanbase recognised more intelligent series rather than overblown, fanboy-oriented shows with shallow symbolism then we might see more attention given to things like Haibane Renmei or Mind Game.

To throw another anime in there, I would kill to see Texhnolyze put under the microscope. That one right there has so many ideas and subjects to begin with, not to mention numerous symbolic imagery and concepts that I don't think any one single person could catch on their own.

Of course, that's just a bit of wishful thinking since Texhnolyze is my favorite anime but ignored by the general audience or else shoved off as being too "pretentious" or "boring."

Quote:
But the deepest, most thought-provoking series ever created? Give me a break.

I think that belief comes from fans who are introduced to either mature or unconventional methods or themes when it comes to certain anime and manga such as Berserk, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc. (mind you I highly regard Berserk, Bebop, and Evangelion) without having seen the wide selection that manga and anime has to offer. They form the thought that whatever they watched is the most deep and emotional piece of fiction/entertainment that they've ever come across, which is a narrow-minded viewpoint to begin with.

Ryvius213 wrote:
Actually, there's only two endings at the moment.(Death & Rebirth is only the series compressed into one hour plus the first half hour of End of Evangelion)

Anyway, I'd probably buy this book, if good ol' Wikipedia didn't already have the same information. Wink

The information on Wikipedia about Evangelion is not really to be trusted, which isn't the case with most of the information on that site.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Great, another "Is Evangelion deep or psuedo-philosophical/psychological drivel?" debate. Haven't ran into one of those lately. Let's bring up Eureka 7, while we're at it. Rolling Eyes

Evangelion may not be half as good as the rabid fans say, but it's five times better than the rabid haters say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd be much more interested in a psychoanalysis of Anno really. That might explain better a few things about EVA.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'd be much more interested in a psychoanalysis of Anno really. That might explain better a few things about EVA.

Knowing his personal views about anime as a medium, his opinion on certain fans, and what happened to him before and during production of Evangelion is enough to go on; there isn't too much beyond that.

[Gartuitous Hint]If anyone wants to understand the series and movie more than they do now, just invest some time by searching on forums like AnimeNations, Eva Monkey, or a certain commentary site.[/Gratuitous Hint]

As for the whole "Is Evangelion a masterpiece or overrated crap?" deal, really, Evangelion isn't "deep" in the sense that it answers the major questions of life, tackles a theme that was never done before (though that's seemingly impossible nowadays), etc. but to write it off as being shallow with no solid story and awful characters couldn't be farther from the truth. In my own personal experience I've seen certain aspects of the basic parts of storytelling done much better, but on the other end I've come across few titles that have such genuinely honest characters mixed in with such unconventional direction that deals with a simple but still incredibly powerful theme (it's usually one or the other, but not both).

All of my inconsequential thoughts aside, what does it come down to? If you don't enjoy it, shut up unless you have someone hailing it as the greatest anime ever. If you do enjoy it, shut up unless you have some hater degrading it. It's entertainment, folks.
brainstrain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

You see, I don't mean to say that it's pointless to analyse Eva, because there is discusion to be had; I'd even be willing to participate in it, reguardless of whether or not I feel the show is overated and some of the themes are poorly explored. That doesn't make it a great show, nor does it mean that critical discusion of it should take priority to superior shows that are not only better, but manage to say much more without sledgehammer-style symbolism and "end-of-the-world" metaphors. It's like the Matrix trilogy: if you look, there's alot of stuff that can be analyzed and pondered over. Does that mean it deserves more attention that another Christian-themed film such as Andrei Rubalev, which is not only a better movie than the Matrix, but also is a better exploration of Christianity ("Whoa, Neo is totally Jesus!") Of course the former gets attention because it's an entertaining action flick, while the later is in Russian (which means "slow" for many film fans) and is three hours. It's the same situation with Eva and Haibane Renmei: the later has FAR more substance and is a better show in ever sense, yet it doesn't have giant robots kicking the shit out of eachother and delivers the themes rather subtly, meaning that it isn't going to appeal to as wide an audience.

The critical elements of a seires aren't the only factors in play here. True, the symbolism present in Eva isn't anything thats gonna put Shakespeare to shame. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Anno himself admitted the whole religion thing was basically a gimmick (Can anyone confirm this?). The simple fact, however, is that substance alone isn't the criteria for deciding to write these books.

Simple example: Think of all the philosophy book sthat have been listed in this thread. People didn't write about Buffy and Star Trek because they were "rich in analytical substance." The books were written because they're cultural phenomenon that a great many people have invested interest in. Now, please don't think this a personal attack, but I have never heard of half the anime people have listed here as "more deserving". But, love it or hate it, almost every anime fan has some kind of opinion on evangelion.

As for the matter of whether or not eva should get a book, I think its a good idea. The religious symbolism may not have been perfect, but psychologically it has some really interesting elements. Besides, it'd be nice to see how some experts weigh in on something fanboys have been debating for years. I'll be sure to pick it up once it comes out.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

They did, it was called the Notenki Memoirs. You should give that book a read sometime, it is really good and well worth the time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Curtis: Does the book suggest he's on prozac? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4