• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funi Like How?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It'd be neat to sit Williams Street/Toonami down and ask them how they decide what to air.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I never caught it back then, but didn't AKIRA also play on the Sci-Fi Saturday morning anime line-up?

For the Fujiko Mine series, I think that incarnation in particular is just too obtuse to really gain a wide audience, whereas most other Lupins are just too old or too old-styled for anyone else to care. Perhaps if you had a series that was an expanded high budget version canon to Calgiostro's vision of the characters, even if "BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE LUPIN!!!", it's probably the most accessible version I can think of for people wanting to get a taste of the series.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Does the new sub-only release strategy mean there might be a chance of new magical girl licenses? (Choose carefully, Sasami and Lollipop were both stinkers.)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If they don't dub the dub-less Bandai rescues, I won't be supporting those releases, primarily Trilogy and Abyss.

My thoughts exactly. If they're not going to do it right, why do it at all? I am no fan of sub-only but when it comes to sub-only releases, NISA (physical extras), Sentai (possibility of a dub) and, dare I say it, RightStuf (cheaper, I guess,maybe...) are better at it. Leave it to them.
Quote:
"f**k you buddy, we do what we want."
Is this an actual quote from the podcast? I haven't yet acquired the zen-like calm that I predict will be needed on this podcast. Adam and Lance aren't exactly great orators of our time (which is why I'm glad that Funimation trots out "real PR people" to do the heavy lifting at cons now) and Zac has cornered the market on agony-inducing, flow-breaking vocalized pauses (as SpacemanHardy pointed out, and Zac tries to explain away, here).

The greatest reason that I need to be tranquil before going into this as these are 3 of the snarkiest guys in anime (though Zac's snarkiness is suppressed in these podcasts, I've found). So much so that I wouldn't be surprised that they actually said that quote, and since I'm still feeling appalled by that quote I know that I'm not yet calm enough to give this a full listen-through.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
Bandai's strategy for handling their shows was very different. It eventually came down to the point where they would only dub their major titles, or titles they were pushing. Under both Sentai and FUNi, Hayate the Combat Butler would have probably been dubbed (not that I'm interested in it). The FUNi rescues are really no different, especially Tales of the Abyss.

They should have brought up their DBZ Blu-rays, and why they're making the crazy cropping mistake again (and pushing it in their marketing MORE than last time....).

Also when are we finally gonna see Deadman Wonderland on Blu-ray?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
If they don't dub the dub-less Bandai rescues, I won't be supporting those releases, primarily Trilogy and Abyss.

My thoughts exactly. If they're not going to do it right, why do it at all? I am no fan of sub-only but when it comes to sub-only releases, NISA (physical extras), Sentai (possibility of a dub) and, dare I say it, RightStuf (cheaper, I guess,maybe...) are better at it. Leave it to them.

They're doing some sub-only releases for shows that could otherwise not support a dub. NISA hardly gets any titles and they definitely would not have picked up OniAi. Rightstuf also would not have picked up OniAi either, and they still refuse to do blu-ray releases. Sentai might have picked up OniAi, but since it definitely would be sub-only from them too, that means being DVD-only at least until recently. Even with Sentai's change in DVD-only policy, there's no guarantee that sub-only titles like OniAi would get BD releases from them currently (though this may change later). Furthermore, Funimation takes care to include the extras/bonus OVAs as they will with OniAi, something which Sentai may not do, and frustrating shortcoming with Sentai for several titles already (and something I think they don't really care about). Finally, Funi's price is cheaper than the others.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Also when are we finally gonna see Deadman Wonderland on Blu-ray?

When the Japanese licensor allows it, or Funi is willing to pay a huge fee for it. But I too am waiting for this.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Well, I don't think FUNimation has licensed a title that I was interested in since Minami-ke Tadaima in the start of the year, and I'm fairly certain that FUNi won't be putting that out on BD/DVD.

If anyone at Funi's taking notes, Minami-ke would also be my most-wanted potential physical media license, and I mean all four seasons plus the OVAs, though, if it was all that was available for licensing, I'd buy Minami-ke Tadaima in a heartbeat. (If the original season of Minami-ke was a perfect 10, Minami-ke Tadaima would be at least a 9 and possibly even a 9.5.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

If anyone at Funi's taking notes, Minami-ke would also be my most-wanted potential physical media license, and I mean all four seasons plus the OVAs, though, if it was all that was available for licensing, I'd buy Minami-ke Tadaima in a heartbeat. (If the original season of Minami-ke was a perfect 10, Minami-ke Tadaima would be at least a 9 and possibly even a 9.5.)

At least some of the series were recently re-released in Japan on blu-ray. It would be great to have these available with English dub and subtitles, with really good voice actors.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
It'd be neat to sit Williams Street/Toonami down and ask them how they decide what to air.

I don't know if Zac himself would consider it, but I do know that Jason DeMarco, co-creator of the block had been interviewed on the Toonami Faithful Podcast a few times. His most recent interview was actually uploaded this past Monday (if you want to cut straight to it, the interview starts at the 42:35 mark of the episode). To help give a short version of the answer to your question, other than the show having doses of action in it, whether Jason and everyone else sampling the shows find them interesting and it being likely in high definition, it's kind of a case-by-case basis with whatever show they decide to broadcast and when to air it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Does the new sub-only release strategy mean there might be a chance of new magical girl licenses? (Choose carefully, Sasami and Lollipop were both stinkers.)

I believe those were both parts of bundles. If they do get landed with duds in future they may be more willing to dump them out sub-only as cheaply as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

At least some of the series were recently re-released in Japan on blu-ray. It would be great to have these available with English dub and subtitles, with really good voice actors.

I'd import Minami-ke from Japan if I had the money, and I've certainly thought about it for at least the first season, but I don't have that kind of money, even if it had subtitles, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
As for horrible Funimation tag-lines, it must be said:

"Betrayal is a bitch".

Yes, really.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It would have been great if Toonami/AS aired The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, though I can imagine even at that late at night there would be self-imposed restrictions. The show loves Fujiko's breasts.

That was a great show. If only more Lupin material was like that and less like the safe, generic crap you see in the TV specials.

Also, The Simpsons have Seasons 1-20 on DVD. And (being generous) only half of that is worth watching.

(Nice reference later in with "Everything's coming up Milhouse!")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:
"f**k you buddy, we do what we want."
Is this an actual quote from the podcast?
They didn't say anything remotely like that. I think Adam and Lance were overall very pleasant and good-humored. I think some people like to pick apart what they say because they think they are one of the "big evil" corporations.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It would have been great if Toonami/AS aired The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, though I can imagine even at that late at night there would be self-imposed restrictions. The show loves Fujiko's breasts.

They would just censor the nipples?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4