• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q4-2014 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
What, no bed?

what?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
What, no bed?

what?

The previous 3 pictures had beds in them. I didn't notice it either until Yttrbio posted that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Is it spoiler[Kyouko from the X-Men anime]?

Correct.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Next character:

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Byrnndi World from One Piece.]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
spoiler[Byrnndi World from One Piece.]

He's specifically from spoiler[One Piece "3D2Y" Ace no Shi wo Koete! Luffy Nakama to no Chikai], but that is correct.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
In the case of franchises like that one I don't think it's necessary to be that specific. It'd be like saying "that's from Show X, Episode 327: Attack of the Banana People!"

getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
is it spoiler[Kazusa from Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse]?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Yes. Haven't used that show in awhile. Glad I'll be able to pick it up on bluray.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
In the case of franchises like that one I don't think it's necessary to be that specific. It'd be like saying "that's from Show X, Episode 327: Attack of the Banana People!"

While I totally agree for a character who appears in multiple parts of a franchise, I disagree for a character like that who is specific to one part of a franchise. If I chose any of the characters who ever appear in the TV series, I wouldn't want people to have to specify that the specific image I chose is from a specific special or movie, since this is a character guessing game and not an "identify which specific scene I chose" game. However, for a character who is from only one specific special or movie, anyone who knows who the character is should know what part of the franchise they are from. I don't think that is the same as a character who appears in only one episode of a long show, as it is easy to forget what episode number someone is from and the rules don't require you to give an episode number. However, for specials and movies, which have their own self-contained plot, it isn't hard to remember that someone is from a specific special or movie.

I've been very generous with accepting guesses where someone named just the franchise (I think I even once accepted just "Gundam" for a character from a non-UC Gundam show, where the guesser didn't specify which of the multiple continuities the character was from). However, in the past I said that I would take any part of the franchise where the character appears as being correct. I think I'm going to go with that in the future (unless more people think just the franchise should be acceptable). I don't think it is hard if you know who the character is to also know what part of the franchise he is from.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Gundam is a different case where the different AUs are all considered stand alone series so you'd definitely have to say the full name. The only one I might give leeway to would be Zeta and Double Zeta. "Gundam" only refers to the first series.

But with One Piece it's all one singular entity. While specials like that might be marketed separately it's still essentially no different from any other episode of the show.

You're right that in my search I did find the full title, but I didn't feel it necessary to write out the whole thing. Plus, you never know, it could have cost me precious seconds that might have given some one else the chance to answer first.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Well, for my pictures in the future, please try to name a part of the franchise that the character appears in (it doesn't have to be the part the image is actually from, just any with that character). I might accept the guess anyway if someone doesn't (or might ask for clarification), but I would appreciate it if people try to do so.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I've been very generous with accepting guesses where someone named just the franchise...

Indeed you have. I can personally attest to that, and I was grateful for your leniency.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Regarding accepting answers of franchise names or not: It's foolish to follow a general rule rather than look at the franchise in question.

Here is an example:

In Doraemon, many of the movies originally appeared as as a short story. The short story may or may not feature the same character, and the design difference may or may not be noticeable. Two examples of this are the dinosaur movie and the cat and dog era movie.

For someone who does not follow the manga/anime, finding out whether a movie character originated in a short story or not is an intensive research exercise that I do not expect the guesser to go through. Therefore, I do not expect a guesser to indicate a movie--which, by the way, can very well be incorrect because I took the TV version of the character.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 65