• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Time Travel: Who Got It Right?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Pardon my salt, but PMMM's entire time-travel "twist" was lifted pretty much in its entirety from Higurashi - When They Cry, with Madoka's extra "twist" being that it was all about convincing preteen girls that their lot in life was to suffer, and any attempt to change that was arrogance to be punished with even greater suffering. Higurashi, meanwhile, was about rejecting cynicism to prove that an optimal solution exists only for those who continue to believe in it.

Rika's one of my childhood heroes, alright? Embarassed

Exactly. When I saw Madoka's twist I just shruggedspoiler[ "so basically she's a poor man's Rika."] Just a horribly worse version. spoiler[Where one character said "screw it, I'll dedicate everything to saving one person and no one else" the other said "I'll keep fighting so me and those I care about can live."
]

Great suffering involved on both sides, but one had a much more positive viewpoint. That together and without giving up could people overcome a horrible fate.

One could argue Higurashi was more dimensional leaping, but there was still time travel in there. There was definitely movement into the past from where spoiler[Rika] started her trips. If Madoka counts, then Higurashi sure as heck does. Deserved some acknowledgement on the list.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Even though I like plenty of things with a time travel presence, time travel to prevent an event from happening never made much sense to me. If you could prevent something from having happened in the past, it would have already NOT happened, because you would have already prevented it. That it wasn't prevented proves that whatever you do, it will continue to have happened. That you can even observe it as an event that should be prevented from having happened proves that you cannot prevent it by its very nature.

This is why my preferred time travel trope is alternate universe timelines, like in Dragon Ball Z. Trunks can't stop his future from coming to pass, no matter what, even if he can prevent a similar future in a different timeline. But he can grind until his EXP is up for going back to his timeline to stop the threat there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hack5

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am not really a time travel fan, but I like some of the shows mentioned in the piece. If I had to mention a favorite time travel anime, it would have to be Steins;Gate; although the time travel aspect is not the main reason why I love that show.

Paul Jensen wrote:
or maybe one so bad that you'd like to go back and stop your past self from watching it?

Not really. When I start watching a show, and it begins to annoys me, I usually drop it.

I agree im not a big fan of time travel like re zero thats why i was so surprise of how much people act like its better than slice bread,just like you i like Steins Gate but the best time travel for me is spoiler[Erased i like how he goes back in time for a long period of time rather than over and over again and redoing the same things in a shorter time period ]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Exactly. When I saw Madoka's twist I just shruggedspoiler[ "so basically she's a poor man's Rika."] Just a horribly worse version.

The ironic thing about "plot devices in Madoka have been used before therefore it is teh suck" posts is that they themselves are overused and unoriginal. (Not to mention that these types of drive-by complaints obviously predate Madoka... what is it with anime fans and faux-intellectual condescension, anyway? Is it just because we're all nerds?) You've got some of the equally cliche "not understanding the difference between horror and tragedy" in there as well.

I mean, if you really want to stick with the "original is best" argument then you'll have to call out Higurashi, Madoka, and numerous other stories for ripping off Groundhog Day, and then call out that movie for ripping off whatever the concept originated from.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The ironic thing about "plot devices in Madoka have been used before therefore it is teh suck" posts is that they themselves are overused and unoriginal.

If you had actually read my post, I was not saying "original is automatically superior" so much as "an earlier work that operated with a very similar twist had merits to its execution and core message that the later work lacked." Whether or not Madoka as a whole sucks or not was never really the point.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I've deleted an off-topic post. What I would do if I could time travel isn't the topic of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Drifters should not be in this list. All kinds of historical figures are warped from their time stream and sent to a completely different world with 12th century technology. Obviously some of the drifters and ends are familiar with the others because they are from a comparatively later time than their counterparts, but all of them are equal (discounting the ends' superpowers) in the new world they've been sent to.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid the author's (ignorance?) is showing as Voices of a Distant Star isn't time travel. Electro-magnetic messages in the real universe travel at c=3e8 m/s so Mikako's messages sent from 4 light-years away arrive for Noboru 4 years after they were sent which doesn't mean that the message time-traveled 4 years into the future. Also, the idiot that renamed contracted n-manifolds "p-branes" was speaking for himself (pea-brain)! From a physics perspective no "time travel" story gets it right. If you accept a foundation of modern physics that energy can not be created or destroyed, then neither is information or matter created or destroyed but such stories do one or the other all the time. The moment someone physically travels in time, the mass of the universe decreases in one interval and increases in another. Even Steins:gate tried to get it right, but ultimately information was created so they get an D.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Even though I like plenty of things with a time travel presence, time travel to prevent an event from happening never made much sense to me. If you could prevent something from having happened in the past, it would have already NOT happened, because you would have already prevented it. That it wasn't prevented proves that whatever you do, it will continue to have happened. That you can even observe it as an event that should be prevented from having happened proves that you cannot prevent it by its very nature.

That's called the Grandfather Paradox and is one of the biggest problems that a lot of time travel stories have had. I mostly just ignore it at this point.

Last edited by Videogamep on Sat May 14, 2016 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tredaeci

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
For the last category, travelling forward while awake, my favorite example is
spoiler[Anno's first anime, Gunbuster.] It actually deals with spoiler[the science of time dilation,] which, to me, made the movie spoiler[Interstellar] a bit less impressive.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Come to think of it, has anyone managed to become their own ancestor in anime yet?

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle sort of went there, although the situation was a bit more complicated and involved spoiler[characters being reincarnated in the past, rather than actual time travel.]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he gets a chance to go back and try again

This is phrased badly. He doesn't get a "chance" to go back and try again...he's FORCED to.
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
For me I think Nobunaga Concerto nailed the time travel concept perfectly, specially since it played with it as if it's the same as our real life Japanese history
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@EmperorBrandon

You might want to use spoiler tags. Some of us are waiting for the legal stream of Kuromukuro.

So do you think Netflix has this licensed, too? After they streamed Ajin, this might be the most plausible reason, although it's just my optimistic opinion.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
LightYapper wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
@EmperorBrandon

You might want to use spoiler tags. Some of us are waiting for the legal stream of Kuromukuro.

So do you think Netflix has this licensed, too? After they streamed Ajin, this might be the most plausible reason, although it's just my optimistic opinion.
No need to speculate, it's already been announced. Also, I don't think what EmperorBrandon wrote is that much of a spoiler - by such criteria the plot summary on the Wikipedia page is also spoileriffic, with the talk of spoiler[adjusting to life in the modern era]. I mean, given the premise it would be much weirder not to expect that sort of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4