• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can there be more anime about any Characters not picking/choosing a love partner?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebornnora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
if you ask me, i dont believe in any anime characters picking anyone. they either get a harem or go commit sudoku. Just wondering if anime makers can do this. i wish its a thing. just an MC saying no to all men and women while they are thirty the ones who are thirsty for the MC.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
You have a rather minority position there. Most people prefer to see a happy resolution to a romance. Regardless, the Japanese anime industry makes shows for their own purposes. We do not get to decide how a story line will progress. All we can do is to decide if we want to watch or not.

Sudoku is a word game similar to a crossword puzzle. Is that what you wanted to refer to?
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
You have a rather minority position there. Most people prefer to see a happy resolution to a romance. Regardless, the Japanese anime industry makes shows for their own purposes. We do not get to decide how a story line will progress. All we can do is to decide if we want to watch or not.

Sudoku is a word game similar to a crossword puzzle. Is that what you wanted to refer to?

You beat me to it! I was gonna tell the OP that I'd rather commit chess or Shoots and Ladders.

But Seppuku. Man... that stuff is brutal. Glad no one is doing that in this discussion.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
rebornnora:

So I see you've traveled from MAL to here.

I will give you my unchanging answer, same as before:

That's bloody stupid; nobody wants to spend six hours watching a series where there is no romantic resolve at the end. It's a big fat waste of time. Also harem-keeping men are pigs.

Rolling Eyes
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I guess it would be nice to see an anime where the main character is rejected by a girl he likes and thinks would like him back, but I think Re:Zero already did that with Emilia. And honestly, they did it pretty damned well. I've seen people who hate Re:Zero agree that it's done rather well. Anyway, because this is a huge part of my post, I won't bother using spoiler tags, so... MAJOR RE:ZERO SPOILERS INCOMING!

spoiler[After defending Emilia and helping her several times, Subaru starts making Emilia a little uncomfortable due to his willingness to devote himself to her. What started as a charming friendship in her mind quickly becomes unsettling, as he starts challenging knights to duels over Emilia's honor, basically embarrassing the girl who opts to ignore the slander in order to avoid conflict. She finally decides that it would be best for both of them if they took a break from one another, and Subaru snaps. The stress from defending Emilia in all the other timelines and not actually getting her as the reward finally gets to him as he selfishly rants about his feelings. Emilia, only aware of the parts of the story that remained true to this timeline, sees Subaru's words as delusions.

This is a great part of the anime because it completely subverts audience expectations and deconstructs a lot of the tropes seen in self-insert fantasy stories, especially Isekai ones. Subaru did heroic things, defended Emilia, treated her as though she were special, but it didn't mean that she fell for him. In fact, his white knighting was rather off putting to the young elf. I think the show kinda shoots itself in the foot by making Rem fall for him for the same reasons that Subaru wanted Emilia to fall for him, but this message works for the most part. Just because you helped someone, and just because you were the first person to treat someone well, doesn't mean that you're entitled to them. It certainly doesn't mean that they have to date you or love you.

Now, if you want a harem anime where none of the girls actually like the main guy... that would be an interesting thing to see, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't actually be appealing on its own. It'd be kinda cool if Kirito and Klein hit the same story beats, but you swap their roles in terms of how attractive they are to all the females. I think it'd be hilarious. Kirito saves Asuna and spends all this time with her, but can't get past the friendzone.

Be more specific though. What are you looking for? Just a show where the main guy doesn't get the female characters to like him?]

{Edit}: Use spoiler tags, do not just simply say spoilers ahead. ~ Psycho 101
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Be more specific though. What are you looking for? Just a show where the main guy doesn't get the female characters to like him?

No, he wants more series that end with a harem like Tenchi Muyo or To-Love-ru. He thinks "harem endings=best endings".

It's because he has bad taste; he is always whining about this on other forums. =.=
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
But Tenchi doesn't have a harem, he has a gang or if you prefer a crew. It was obvious by the end of the second OVA series that he would end up with Sasami. Granted she is a couple hundred years older than he is, but when you live that long the age differential doesn't matter.

Of course the King of Jurai has two wives that we know of. Of course we don't know how many husbands they each have.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
For starters just report bait or pointless posts, don't insult people directly or make matters worse. Secondly, simply saying "spoilers" is not good enough. Use the tags, they are there for a reason. Last but not least since this thread seems to have n real purpose beyond being a personal rant I am locking it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1