• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANNCast Holiday Special

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
db999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
^ I’m going to disagree a bit with your statement here a little bit. I understand why a lot of people didn’t connect to The Last Jedi. There are some elements of the plot that were handled poorly, and I agree that a large part of the fanbase didn’t want a subversion. However, I don’t think there’s any disdain for Star Wars anywhere in The Last Jedi. Sure it may subvert expectations, but by the end of the movie, it brings the whole film back in line with the themes and ideas of the old Star Wars movies. The ending rejects the idea it brings up earlier in the film about the past not being important and that we have to let it die.

Also, The Last Jedi is still 100% about the Skywalker family. Sure Rey is a nobody, but Luke is still in the film with his own character arc, and Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. And Kylo Ren’s character arc is just as huge of a plot point as Rey’s is. Not to mention the fact that Luke’s entire arc is about how his legacy caused him to make a mistake, that I know a lot of fans disliked, but how he can still learn from his failures and rectify his mistake. There’s also that The Last Jedi does have a somewhat similar plot structure and tackles some of the same themes that Empire Strikes Back explored. I also think in order for the franchise to progress they were going to have to deviate away from telling the same types of stories eventually, but realize it may have not been the best business decision to do so in the middle of the sequel trilogy.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
When it came out, the most ubiquitous complaints made by people making angry tweets and Youtube videos were "Why would Rey be so powerful, she's a woman", complaining about Finn and Rose Tico - who, as you remember, was harassed off of social media as a result. They complained heavily about Luke not being a badass anymore (he wasn't ever really a traditional action hero, and he closes the movie out with incredible heroism and an extremely well-shot fight sequence). Most of the complaints about The Last Jedi seem to come from people who just straight up do not ever want any emotional maturity or diversity of both cast and storytelling in Star Wars - they don't ever want to be challenged, it absolutely has to be "Chosen One Straight White Man Kicks Ass".

Which is boring. And not even really what the OT was about. It's all very politicized and milked for clicks by Youtube grifters whipping people up with specious, empty-headed nonsense. There are certainly people who have other issues with the film, but this is the driving force (so to speak) behind a lot of the over-the-top screaming internet hatred that movie got.
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
My biggest issue with the sequel trilogy is the lack of communication between directors. It felt as though there was no over-arching story planned, which quickly removed any hype I had.

Also, the plot of the sequel trilogy as a whole, even of the first movie, made little sense to me. The rise of the First Order as this suddenly super-powerful force in Force Awakens, reducing the alliance that the heroes of the first series worked for to a handful of rebels, seems to undermine everything the original trilogy accomplished. It feels a bit cheap, like they wanted to tell the same story and have the same characters from the original without actually justifying it via the plot. It would have been ameliorated if they had then stuck to that plot and followed the threads established in The Last Jedi, which was about letting go of the past (in the case of the world they had now set up, perhaps letting go of the past and trying something new to make the next victory actually last). But instead we get a giant fart of a finale.

As a result, I have this strange perception in that I kind of enjoyed each movie on its own, but taken together, the sequel trilogy feels unnecessary and doesn't hold up to any sort of further analysis other than how it failed. It could have been a unique spin on Star Wars, with a new cast of characters for a new generation. Instead it vacillates between new characters and idealizing the old ones in a way that doesn't really seem to satisfy anyone, and twists the plot around to appeal to nostalgia in a convoluted way that doesn't have any lasting impact.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess we got our explanation in RoS for why Rey knows and succeeds at everything. It doesn't matter, the only part of Disney Wars I've enjoyed was when Gareth Edwards was allowed to direct some war scenes, however tight his lease was. I would have loved to see his Space Vietnam, alas. As for Luke being some kind of white savior, maybe it would have better if he just remained a mentor and wasn't Kenobi'd or Jinn'd. The wizened mentor not dying is also subverting expectations.

Well, here's to the future of the Franchise, where what's Disney going to do? Nostalgia-bait with X-Wings and Falcon again? Continue reanimating Carrie Fisher's corpse? Can't wait.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
When it came out, the most ubiquitous complaints made by people making angry tweets and Youtube videos were "Why would Rey be so powerful, she's a woman", complaining about Finn and Rose Tico - who, as you remember, was harassed off of social media as a result. They complained heavily about Luke not being a badass anymore (he wasn't ever really a traditional action hero, and he closes the movie out with incredible heroism and an extremely well-shot fight sequence). Most of the complaints about The Last Jedi seem to come from people who just straight up do not ever want any emotional maturity or diversity of both cast and storytelling in Star Wars - they don't ever want to be challenged, it absolutely has to be "Chosen One Straight White Man Kicks Ass".

Which is boring. And not even really what the OT was about. It's all very politicized and milked for clicks by Youtube grifters whipping people up with specious, empty-headed nonsense. There are certainly people who have other issues with the film, but this is the driving force (so to speak) behind a lot of the over-the-top screaming internet hatred that movie got.

I find it hilarious you say this when the movie starts off with Poe Dameron doing a "Yo momma" joke and continues with Luke Skywalker drinking green milk, from a massive space manatee nipple, Hux being the victim of rampant slapstick violence, Finn's bad injury at the end of TFA being turned into an awkward joke, and Rose kissing Finn as thousands of their allied soldiers die horribly in the background because of her preventing Finn from sacrificing himself. "Emotional maturity" yeah, sure. I think Anakin comparing Padme to sand was more resonant emotionally than anything in TLJ.

There are many, many legitimate issues with TLJ and honestly you seem to be from another world with your rationale for why there was so much criticism. While there are some grifters who may be motivated the way you say, the vast, vast majority of the criticism comes from ordinary fans and viewers who did not like what they saw for legitimate reasons.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Btw, it was not Darth Sidious (aka Emperor Palpatine) who manipulated the Midi-chlorians that eventually gave immaculate birth to Anakin.

It was Sidious' master, Darth Plagueis:
Quote:
During the late period of the Galactic Republic, the Sith Lords Darth Plagueis and his apprentice, Darth Sidious, conducted the Grand Experiment on the moon Sojourn in 42 BBY. Utilizing Sith alchemy and the dark side of the Force, Plagueis intended to create the living embodiment of the Force. In order to do so, he tried to influence the midi-chlorians in his attempt to create life. But when his efforts bore no success, and instead wiped out his other experiments, Plagueis deemed the project a failure.

Years later, during the Crisis on Naboo in 32 BBY, Plagueis was surprised to discover the existence of Anakin Skywalker, a young Human boy born without a father. Plagueis concluded that not only had the midi-chlorians resisted his will, but they had also retaliated by engineering the conception of the Jedi Order's long-awaited Chosen One, a Jedi destined to restore balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.[1]
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
To be fair, the vast majority of the EU was within 50 years post-ROTJ. And Lucas himself had some basic ideas for 7-9 and what Rogue One turned out to be.

I don't know why Crispy thinks wiping most of the EU matters. I guarantee the VAST majority of moviegoers have no idea who Kyle Katarn is for example. And besides, they took Thrawn and just put him in a different era so they can easily do the same with certain other EU characters if they felt like it.

I didn't say anything about the EU, though? If Thrawn is canon then that means the Chiss are canon, which is nice and opens up the Empire storytelling a lot more. Maybe one day they'll acknowledge Sith purebloods and their origins as well.

macattack wrote:
There are many, many legitimate issues with TLJ and honestly you seem to be from another world with your rationale for why there was so much criticism. While there are some grifters who may be motivated the way you say, the vast, vast majority of the criticism comes from ordinary fans and viewers who did not like what they saw for legitimate reasons.

I don't really see this as anything new, it's just this is the first Star Wars trilogy we've gotten in the era of social media so people have to adjust. If Twitter and YouTube existed in 1999, I'm sure we'd see a lot of videos and tweets about how Jar Jar Binks is a bad character just like we did with Rose Tico. But billion dollar companies don't change their movies due to a few angry people online, it has to be a fairly big consensus among the consumers that a character is just not well received to get studios to write a character out of the next movie like they did those two.

I might just be an optimist, but I'm hoping the discourse surrounding the sequels will bring people together in the end. The Last Jedi fans are currently going through their own anger issues after seeing how Rise of Skywalker did to them as The Last Jedi did to fans of The Force Awakens. Hopefully going through it themselves will make them realize there doesn't have to be some evil, ulterior motive for someone to dislike a movie. It could be something as simple as it being a huge bummer to see something you like get thrown to the wayside to appeal to a different audience.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
They probably wrote Rose Tico out of the movies because retailers had to liquidate her toys for a buck each, I've seen videos where a guy bought them for 3 cents. The toy health of Star Wars, during its most energetic and constantly hyped up period, is laughable. Walmart and Target have shrunk their shelf spaces for it, stuff is always on clearance even before the movie comes out. Death of merchandising can't account for nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2