• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Goth Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Def agree that Ergo Proxy and Witch Hunter Robin deserve mentions. I think Tweeny Witches and Another could also qualify as gothic.

Gosick does certainly have the ascetic, but I think it's missing the darker tone found in a lot of gothic stories. (That, of course, doesn't mean it isn't still gothic.) Similiarly, I feel there are quite a few shows that are heavily influenced by the gothic genre, even if they aren't in and of themselves gothic...Boogiepop Phantom and Madoka Magica, for example.
awkweird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy is a definite missed opportunity >__< I'm also surprised xxxholic didn't get mentioned either. The artwork & story just screams goth lol
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The lack of Shiki is extremely disturbing. Or maybe my view of goth and the list maker's is drastically different, or maybe they just chose the most popular choices instead of what they thought fit the best. Like Death Note? Not goth. There being a shinigami character does not make it goth, lol.

Agreed on all counts. Who did write this list? There's no byline.

I also think Trinity Blood should've been on the list, what with all its overtly goth trappings in the setting, architecture and costuming, and Abel Nightroad's angst underlying everything.

The Mystic Archives of Dantalian would also not be out of place here.
tojikomori

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
Death Note not goth? That’s far too precious. Misa was undeniably going for the goth look and the list is quite clear about her and Ryuk’s kinky getup being the reason for Death Note’s inclusion. (Personally I see a lot of Robert Smith in L’s appearance and posture too, but that’s a smaller thing and probably coincidental…)
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:23 am Reply with quote
You know what's goth AF? Red Garden, Le Portrait de petite Cossete & Tsukihime.
Cossete in special was so heavy in gothic symbolism, imagery and theme that I find the fact that it's missing here to be weird. Black Butler may have the looks but Cossete has the spirit.

Oh, and Tsukihime? It's basically a japanese reading of classic gothic themes, from vampires, to the decaying body, the moral corruption, death, madness and the fall and sins of an old bloodline. I can understand the anime not being listed since it wasn't exactly very good, tho.

While I do agree that a lot of the picks for the list are good, some of them seem kinda... superficial? Kinda of "Hot Topic" picks, you know?
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:30 am Reply with quote
I’m disappointed D.Gray-Man isn’t on here.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
Agree with many listed in this thread.

My 5 would be

Ergo Proxy
Gosick
xxxHolic,
Witch Hunter Robin
Shiki

with Petite Cossette, Red Garden, Tsukihime. Boogiepop Phantom, Blood-C, Rozen Maiden as honorable mentions.

Here's the thing. I don't feel any of the five (six) titles in the article are gothic, unless it's the definition of gothic from the same dictionary that Alanis Morrisette got the definition of ironic from.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, the feature's list is not bad. It's the type that gets us talking and is made of different types of goth. Good job drawing the ire.
And it does have what I consider the clear #1 in Vampire Hunter D. Hard to argue vehemently against Hellsing either... maybe a bit on the modern horror edge, but if you cosplay Alucard, you're going goth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
or maybe they just chose the most popular choices instead of what they thought fit the best.

Nah, like every list I've written in last almost decade for this column, I picked what I thought fit best.

Also I don't like Shiki :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the feature's list is not bad. It's the type that gets us talking and is made of different types of goth. Good job drawing the ire.
And it does have what I consider the clear #1 in Vampire Hunter D.

Geez, yes. Anime doesn't come much more Gothic than VHD, especially Bloodlust. It even has true Gothic architecture!

So in addition to the ones Lynzee listed, other strong contenders would include:

Ergo Proxy
Witch Hunter Robin
Vampire Hunter D
Le Portrait de Petite Cosette
xxxholic
Shiki
Gosick
Maybe Tsukihime and Trinity Blood? (I consider the latter kinda borderline)

Mystic Archives and Red Garden strike me as stretches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Nah, like every list I've written in last almost decade for this column, I picked what I thought fit best.

Also I don't like Shiki :3

And I don't like Ergo Proxy, so it ain't on here, but the point is for y'all to list your own top 5s. We also didn't want to only pick things from the 90s or the early 2000s. It's all subjective.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I defend Red Garden because it has a lot of themes from classic gothic narratives, from the degeneration of the human body (the gothic body theme) to the ancient conspiracies, tragic love and death. I agree that it's not very gothic from a more modern point of view, specially if we think of post-80s gothic imagery, but it has a lot of thematic DNA and makes many visual choices that are arguably gothic. In that sense, I think it's similar to Ancient Magus Bride which does not have much of the aesthetic but follows the themes. Albeit I'd say its closer to the british fantasy literary fantasy tradition of the XIX and XX century than to the gothic per se.But this is a more theoretical point so I won't really dispute that choice.

Death Note, on the other hand, has a lot of the aesthetics of the gothic style, specially in the Shinigami design and, of course, Misa Amane, but from a more narrative standpoint its structured like a detective story. The same goes for Black Butler which while clearly goth AF in aesthetic doesn't really have much to do with "gothic" as a style of narration, though I guess having a lot of the style points sort of make it gothic?

In the end, I think this is a matter of what you consider gothic to begin with, the visual aesthetics or the thematic structure. Both are fair choices, I guess, but they do have some implications.

As for Tsukihime, the anime has one of the gothiest openings EVER and while the anime itself loses a lot of the things, the VN (specially in the far side) delves deep in the whole "bloodline sins" and legacy of crime that pervade the style. I'd argue the story is intentionally gothic, in fact, given just how much Nasu's later work references XIX century gothic narratives. BUT since this is about anime and not VNs, I completely agree that it has no place among any top 5.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
When I was in high school (2009-2013), the goth/Hot Topic crowd seemed to enjoy Death Note and Soul Eater the most, along with Darker than Black and Vampire Knight. My friend circle had plenty of goths and emos, but I never considered myself one, and this was just my observation.
Penfold1999

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The Wallflower should on this list. It is older but absolutely hilarious.
azhanei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Respect has bern paid to Witch Hunter Robin and Ergo Proxy, but it can't be mentioned enough. I also pay gothy hommage to Trinity Blood. Priests, vamps. Priests who are vamps. Tortured pasts. Lush animation. Buck Tick OP.

If we argue Ancient Magus Bride, then X/1999 may also be a contender. It certainly battles their others for darkest Clamp title, and pulls on the mytical and apocalyptic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3