• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist '03 vs. Brotherhood: Let's compare.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Hope this is ok. The Brotherhood thread was getting a little too cluttered with comparisons between the two series, so it might be best to continue discussion in a separate thread. So: The two FMA shows, which do you prefer?

Granted, FMA and FMA:B are two different shows attempting to cover different things, plus Brotherhood isn't even halfway over yet, so comparisons aren't exactly going to be perfect for awhile.

For the record I’m enjoying Brotherhood, just not yet at the level of the previous show or even the manga. This show has its fair share of positives: mostly good animation that’s fluid and colorful, some useful plot decisions (I much prefer how Brotherhood handles the Xingese, and Edward figuring out about spoiler[Hughes’s death] by himself is possibly the best version of that particular moment to date); it’s mostly the execution of scenes that turn me off. Like the editing of music, the pacing, the abrupt SD choices, etc. These were things which I thought the previous show handled much better.

Although, Brotherhood's been improving; so my impression of it may very well elevate in the future. Your thoughts?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I can see this turning out real well.

Look, as I've repeatedly said, I like the three popular forms of FMA: the original manga (of which I'm an avid reader and collector of), the first series (which I also collected, and is my fourth or fifth favorite anime of all time), and this new series (which I enjoy thoroughly).

The first anime has its strengths in the realization of its themes and and a more "realistic", drama-driven take on the world of FMA. It's far from perfect, having problems with some less than stellar filler material and adaptation missteps (and we're not talking about its divergence, but rather where it adapted things that later turned out to not really fit in this version). It's ending is one of those "your mileage may vary" endings. The movie is stunningly beautiful, but also sort of disappointing in some ways, and unnecessary.

The new series has a more consistent strength. Even though there are flaws with nearly every episode, it remains more thoroughly good episode to episode. You only get real bad apples now and then, usually due to events reshuffling, and only occasionally from some of the weaker material in the manga. It's hard to beat some of its "big moments", though. Episode 19 is probably the best episode of either series.

The manga itself is so thoroughly saturated in detail, it almost works against it at times, because it can be hard to sort through, or sometimes overexplains with dialogue what could be more easily implied through action. I've also felt that certain parts drag on a little too long, and sometimes the author chooses to place certain plot points in weird places. Still, the original vision by Arakawa is excellent, and probably the best shonen title on the market. I really can't speak for it as a whole product, because it isn't finished yet. I've been okay with the past couple of chapters, though.

I have a feeling if this thread goes anywhere, I'll have to defend the same f***ing things over and over again about the first series. I'm guessing we'll get mentions of Rose's unfortunate situation, Dante, Robo-Archer (which, by the way, I agree, he was a bad idea), the parallel world, and Mizushima being "sexist".

And I'll probably spout the same thing about my feelings towards parts of the manga I disliked, go into how I hate the Rush Valley stuff, probably get into an argument about Winry's role(s), go on about my intense irritation at the Xingese, and will be forced to concede that yes, they do add to an action scene.

It will go on, and on, and by the ninth page I'll have bitten a pen in half and worked myself into exhaustion talking about a cartoon. Then I shall hate myself, but continue to post in the thread.

Or a mod will nip it in the bud. Either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
How about we wait until both series are over?

I mean this is the reason why people hate Brotherhood they are trying to compare an unfinished series to a finish series. It could get better it could get worse.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Except that many of us who have been comparing the 2 series have never said we hate Brotherhood, and have even said that we are, in fact, enjoying it quite a lot at times. You are putting words in our mouths. But I can see where you are coming from - comparing Brotherhood to the 1st anime is kind of unfair at this point. Let's be honest, though - these comparisons are going to happen, and people don't want to seem to wait until it's finished. And why should they? It's fresh on their minds right now, and there could be a dozen other series they want to talk about by the time this one is over. Anyways, I seriously doubt comparing the 2 right now is really going to hurt Brotherhood in the long run - if it is a good series overall, then I think people are going to see it as a good series. They're not going to think back to some thread on an internet forum and think, "oooh, that ruined it for me!" And if they do, then I should think they're not really true fans.

But yeah, most of what I think has already been said. And I can also see this thread getting very repetitive. There is already a thread out there, I believe, for comparing the 1st anime to the manga, which makes more sense to me, but, eh, I guess this could be different enough to merit its own thread. I can already see them overlapping, though.

The only thing I really dislike about the manga's story at the moment is that Ed and Al's quest feels very secondary, and often gets shunted aside for other storylines, which may come back to bite Brotherhood, what with all of the re-affirming of their goals and whatnot they've been doing every other episode, lately. I think the 1st series was very good at weaving their quest in with the other plot lines, so I unless Brotherhood keeps a tighter lens on things, they'll likely fall behind as far as that goes, for me. But then I know there are some people who disliked how everything in the 1st anime practically revolved around Ed and Al, so, yeah, like it's been said a dozen times before, it pretty much comes down to your opinion. Tighter story telling, or a more open-ended universe, take your pick.

And I guess I'm one of the very few people who actually enjoyed the movie, heh. I can see why some people found it superfluous, but honestly, I don't think I would've been satisfied with the anime's ending. I know it's a show full of tragedies, and I wasn't ever expecting a nice, happy ending where everything works out perfectly, but to have Ed and Al go through that journey and develop this bond with eachother, and with the audience, only to have them be spoiler[permanently separated from eachother, and for Al to lose all of his memories of everything that has happened]... too much for me! Brotherhood, on the other hand, has the distinct possibility of ending on a much happier note, which I don't think was really an option for the 1st anime. It would certainly work much better for Brotherhood, and hey, who knows, I might even like it more. It's kind of one of those things that makes me wonder why they'd been pushing Brotherhood as a "dark fantasy," though, when the 1st series was much darker, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that even though they gave up on most good moments we had on the first, but that was covered by the fact they are revealing most stuff they kept secret on the first and even more by actually revealing the country's situation, which didn't actually happen on the first.
Overall both are excellent animes. I wouldn't compare them, after all the first Full Metal Alchemist's still out there. I'd rather treat both as non-related.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Except that many of us who have been comparing the 2 series have never said we hate Brotherhood, and have even said that we are, in fact, enjoying it quite a lot at times. You are putting words in our mouths.

The only thing I really dislike about the manga's story at the moment is that Ed and Al's quest feels very secondary, and often gets shunted aside for other storylines, which may come back to bite Brotherhood, what with all of the re-affirming of their goals and whatnot they've been doing every other episode, lately. I think the 1st series was very good at weaving their quest in with the other plot lines, so I unless Brotherhood keeps a tighter lens on things, they'll likely fall behind as far as that goes, for me. But then I know there are some people who disliked how everything in the 1st anime practically revolved around Ed and Al, so, yeah, like it's been said a dozen times before, it pretty much comes down to your opinion. Tighter story telling, or a more open-ended universe, take your pick.

And I guess I'm one of the very few people who actually enjoyed the movie, heh. I can see why some people found it superfluous, but honestly, I don't think I would've been satisfied with the anime's ending. I know it's a show full of tragedies, and I wasn't ever expecting a nice, happy ending where everything works out perfectly, but to have Ed and Al go through that journey and develop this bond with eachother, and with the audience, only to have them be spoiler[permanently separated from eachother, and for Al to lose all of his memories of everything that has happened]... too much for me! Brotherhood, on the other hand, has the distinct possibility of ending on a much happier note, which I don't think was really an option for the 1st anime. It would certainly work much better for Brotherhood, and hey, who knows, I might even like it more. It's kind of one of those things that makes me wonder why they'd been pushing Brotherhood as a "dark fantasy," though, when the 1st series was much darker, heh.

I never said anyone who post regulary at ANN, I am talking about some of the bloggers or the people who watched 2 episodes, and then proceeded to the dissect the series with 2 episodes out, immediatly declared it to be a stain on the greatness of the anime and then stopped watching.

As for the movie, I disagree with the fact that the anime couldn't have had a happier ending, the alternate dimension subplot could have easily been removed. Just don't explain where Alcehmy comes from, it's not important. You don't need to include a bunch of iinformation at the last second just to setup some movie, that doesn't need to exist.

I also have to correct you, everything in the first anime revolves around Ed, I wouldn't even classify Al as a main character anymore. In the first 19 episodes of Brotherhood, Al has gotten more character development than he ever did in the first anime. I mean even when someone close to Mustang dies they just show how it effects Ed.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you don't clarify that you're talking about some random bloggers, then I can only assume you're referring to the discussion going on here, so thanks for clearing that up.

And I simply have to disagree with you as well. I really think a happy, everything works out perfectly kind of ending would've really gone against the flow of the rest of the show and the themes it presents, which really deviate and expand apart from the manga's/Brotherhood's. You don't think Alchemy's explanation was important, I thought it was interesting, whatever, doesn't really matter. Just remember that the point of this thread isn't to rag on the 1st series(nor is it to gush about it, and I could spend plenty of time talking about what I liked about the movie, but I won't, because it's irrelevant), it's to compare it with Brotherhood.

Sorry, didn't realize opinions were open for correction now. Yes, I'll agree that Al does get more development in the manga(which has more material), but I think saying he is so drastically different, and gets no development in the 1st anime, is blowing it way out of proportion. In fact, he is one of my favorite characters from the 1st anime, and to say that he has already gotten more development in Brotherhood than he ever did the 1st time around is, to me, completely absurd. Conversely, I think it can be argued that the 1st anime does a much better job at showing their brotherly connection, while the manga has given them more independent roles, which I think kind of relates back to preferring either more concise or more expansive methods of storytelling, in a way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

Conversely, I think it can be argued that the 1st anime does a much better job at showing their brotherly connection, while the manga has given them more independent roles, which I think kind of relates back to preferring either more concise or more expansive methods of storytelling, in a way.

I completely disagree with this. I guess it's true that Ed & Al are not as dependent on each other as the first series. That they can do their own thing. But there is complete and utter trust in one another. It's because they trust and have faith in each other's abilities that they don't have to always depend on each other. Ed & Al believe in each other. That is an important part of their relationship to me.

And when they do get together, they don't keep secrets they share everything. Which can be evident in episode 20. They talked about what Ed discovered and worked things out together. In a sense they are on the same wave length.

Finally Ed & Al also have a deep understanding of each other. As an example we have Al getting frustrated at Ed because of Ed's guilt complex. In an earlier episode we have Ed know exactly what to say to Al on that rooftop when he is doubting himself. Or when Al told Ed he better not sacrifice himself because he has so much to life for.

It's these things that show how close and connected these two are. Of course I could give even more examples. But then I will be getting into manga spoilers.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I will grant you that the manga/Brotherhood handles the ending to the whole Al's memories storyline much better than the 1st anime, which has always been one of my least favorite changes. But I remember all of the other things you listed happening in the 1st anime. And I really think that the 1st anime pulled off a lot of those scenes better than Brotherhood. Ed giving himself up to Scar after making him promise he wouldn't go after Al, for example. Even the animation of that scene was better in the 1st series, I'd say. I can see why they decided not to animate it the exact same way, but still, it just wasn't as powerful. And then the comedy at the end was just too much, whereas I feel the 1st series hit it right on the head.

The thing in episode 20 is kind of a unique situation - of course Al is going to be happy that Ed has discovered spoiler[they didn't transmute their mom.] But it's not like Ed called Al beforehand to let him know what he was going to do, or anything. And it seems to me more like Ed's the one who did all of the work and figuring things out there, then just relayed it to Al, and it's only then that Al reveals that he's been keeping certain thoughts from Ed. They've both kept things from each other, in both versions. And it's not that I don't think it's a great scene. I do think Brotherhood jumbled it a little bit, though.

You could compare it to later in the 1st anime, I guess, when Ed desecrates their mother's grave without telling Al, and yeah, that's a much worse thing for Ed to do, but I liked their opposing stances on the whole Sloth subject. I think it was a realistic take on the issue, and it created a nice dynamic - they don't have to be clones of each other to have a strong connection. And in the end, Al does come together with Ed to help defeat her, although Wrath also plays a large role there, too Anime hyper And whether they totally agree on the issue or not, Sloth is just one big, looming reminder of the sin they committed together.

To be honest, I'm over the whole "we trust/believe/have faith in each other!" thing. Not because it's unimportant, but it happens in practically every shonen title, and I fail to see where they cease trusting each other in the 1st anime. Yes, of course they trust each other. But in the manga, they are just separated too often for some shonen trope to carry me through to Armstrong-level emotions over their brotherly bonds. I just feel it's closer to the surface in the 1st anime. And already, I feel this is straying too far into 1st anime vs. manga territory, as opposed to 1st anime vs. Brotherhood.
amarielah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I completely disagree with this. I guess it's true that Ed & Al are not as dependent on each other as the first series. That they can do their own thing. But there is complete and utter trust in one another. It's because they trust and have faith in each other's abilities that they don't have to always depend on each other. Ed & Al believe in each other. That is an important part of their relationship to me.

I'm going to have to agree with RhymesWithEmpty. It's a matter of consistency for me: I have trouble believing that the same person who would willingly give up his heart for a person would only a few years later be willingly separated from that person for an extended period of time, and that he wouldn't show any outward signs of worry or concern. Part of knowing somebody so intimately, and loving them for it, is also knowing what their biggest vices are. You may trust them implicitly, but you still worry about them like crazy.

And yeah, the shounen mantra of believing in others is all fine and dandy when you're trying to show the bonds of Nakama-ship - but familial love, the kind that comes from literally growing up together, is a different kettle of fish. I also think that the Elrics in Brotherhood are much more alike in terms of personality than the Elrics in the first anime, which is why they're on the same wavelength. Personally, I find that lack of substantial conflict to be strange. What made the story of the first anime!Elric brothers so heart wrenching for me was how they didn't always see eye to eye, how they sometimes kept secrets from one another, how they sometimes had huge arguments, but, through it all, they still loved each other and stuck together. It made them much more relatable to me.

Heck, even Al's tantrum struck home for me, which is probably why I'm more forgiving towards that episode than many.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
I will grant you that the manga/Brotherhood handles the ending to the whole Al's memories storyline much better than the 1st anime, which has always been one of my least favorite changes. But I remember all of the other things you listed happening in the 1st anime.

The only other thing that happened in the first anime was the thing with Scar. I barely ever remember Ed & Al sharing anything in the first series about what they did when they were on their own. And I certainly do not recall Al telling Ed to get over his guilt complex.

Quote:

And I really think that the 1st anime pulled off a lot of those scenes better than Brotherhood. Ed giving himself up to Scar after making him promise he wouldn't go after Al, for example. Even the animation of that scene was better in the 1st series, I'd say. I can see why they decided not to animate it the exact same way, but still, it just wasn't as powerful. And then the comedy at the end was just too much, whereas I feel the 1st series hit it right on the head.

I disagree I liked the comedy. It made the scene more charming and showed that in the end they were just young boys. Not to mention I love when Al tells Ed maybe one day you can save a young girl like Nina. Because it's not just about Al losing his brother. It's about Ed giving up on his life when there is so much more he can accomplish.

And later on the first anime ignores this theme by having Ed & Al sacrifice themselves for each other. I am sure some fans loved this but I didn't because it misses the entire point of that earlier scene.

Quote:
The thing in episode 20 is kind of a unique situation - of course Al is going to be happy that Ed has discovered spoiler[they didn't transmute their mom.] But it's not like Ed called Al beforehand to let him know what he was going to do, or anything. And it seems to me more like Ed's the one who did all of the work and figuring things out there, then just relayed it to Al, and it's only then that Al reveals that he's been keeping certain thoughts from Ed. They've both kept things from each other, in both versions. And it's not that I don't think it's a great scene. I do think Brotherhood jumbled it a little bit, though.

But Ed still told Al immediately when he got back. He wasn't trying to keep a secret from Al at all. Al just wasn't there and it's something he thought he needed to do now that he had the chance. It also makes sense why he wouldn't want to tell something like this to Al over the phone. Quite honestly if this was the first anime, I am pretty sure Al would have gotten angry and stormed off. And I don't really think Al was keeping anything from Ed either. He just told Ed what he has decided on when he was gone.

I will admit Brotherhood chopped down some of that scene which was disappointing to me (especially when Ed says I just want to see your smiling face again) but the point of the scene was still there.

Quote:
You could compare it to later in the 1st anime, I guess, when Ed desecrates their mother's grave without telling Al, and yeah, that's a much worse thing for Ed to do, but I liked their opposing stances on the whole Sloth subject. I think it was a realistic take on the issue, and it created a nice dynamic - they don't have to be clones of each other to have a strong connection. And in the end, Al does come together with Ed to help defeat her, although Wrath also plays a large role there, too Anime hyper And whether they totally agree on the issue or not, Sloth is just one big, looming reminder of the sin they committed together.

That one time would be fine if Al didn't go against Ed so many other times: run off with Scar, Tucker, and heck even Hohenheim when he saw how upset Ed was. It was a little too much for me. That really besides the anime telling me they were close and playing the song "Brothers" I could never feel it.

And I don't think Ed & Al are clones at all in this . Their personalities are different. For one thing Ed is much more rash and hot headed. While Al is a bit more mature and level headed. They are not the same people. But you can have different personalities and not go against each other every other second.

They don't always agree on everything but they work things out together and depend and rely on each other.

Quote:

To be honest, I'm over the whole "we trust/believe/have faith in each other!" thing. Not because it's unimportant, but it happens in practically every shonen title, and I fail to see where they cease trusting each other in the 1st anime.

Personally one of my largest issues with Ed & Al in the first anime was that they went against each other too much. Well Al especially.

Quote:
Yes, of course they trust each other. But in the manga, they are just separated too often for some shounen trope to carry me through to Armstrong-level emotions over their brotherly bonds. I just feel it's closer to the surface in the 1st anime.

I purposely only mentioned scenes from Brotherhood. If I mentioned scenes in the manga I could show how their bond was even stronger. You don't have to be together every five seconds to be close. And I think people exaggerate the amount of times they are separated. They were not always together in the first series either. In fact I remember Al being with Scar just as much as Ed in the first series.

amarielah wrote:
I'm going to have to agree with RhymesWithEmpty. It's a matter of consistency for me: I have trouble believing that the same person who would willingly give up his heart for a person would only a few years later be willingly separated from that person for an extended period of time, and that he wouldn't show any outward signs of worry or concern. Part of knowing somebody so intimately, and loving them for it, is also knowing what their biggest vices are. You may trust them implicitly, but you still worry about them like crazy.

Whoever said that they don't worry about each other when they are separated. In the last episode Al is Ed's first thought when he digs up that grave. But at the same time they have to have faith in one another.

Quote:

And yeah, the shounen mantra of believing in others is all fine and dandy when you're trying to show the bonds of Nakama-ship - but familial love, the kind that comes from literally growing up together, is a different kettle of fish.

I am sorry I don't know any real life siblings that act like Ed & Al in the first anime. You can love someone but not be totally dependent on them, And yes I realize they would be dependent after what they've been through but at times I felt it was ridiculous in the first anime. They are brothers, not lovers.

Quote:

I also think that the Elrics in Brotherhood are much more alike in terms of personality than the Elrics in the first anime, which is why they're on the same wavelength. Personally, I find that lack of substantial conflict to be strange. What made the story of the first anime!Elric brothers so heart wrenching for me was how they didn't always see eye to eye, how they sometimes kept secrets from one another, how they sometimes had huge arguments, but, through it all, they still loved each other and stuck together. It made them much more relatable to me.

It's not that I doubt that Ed & Al loved each other very much in the first series but the director did a lot of telling me and not showing me. I guess I don't always need things in my face to know that the characters care about each other. And I can see that characters who argue, keep secrets from another, disagree all the time love each other. But those things don't make me think they are close. Quite the opposite in fact.

Look I will agree that the first anime focuses more specifically on the relationship of Ed & Al. But that doesn't make Ed & Al closer in the first series. It was Ed & Al's relationship in the manga (yes I said manga not Brotherhood, but I am only watching Brotherhood for the manga) that got me into the series in the first place. So the idea that they are not as close in this version is absolutely ridiculous to me.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

The only other thing that happened in the first anime was the thing with Scar. I barely ever remember Ed & Al sharing anything in the first series about what they did when they were on their own. And I certainly do not recall Al telling Ed to get over his guilt complex.

Well, maybe you don't remember it, but it was most certainly there. There was one scene in particular I always liked where Al is telling Ed to quit taking the blame for everything that happened that night, because he was the one who'd had a bad feeling about it, but he didn't act on it and prevent them from doing anything, making it just as much his burden as Ed's. Al complains that Ed is taking on too much of the burden a few times, as I recall. And maybe you just didn't like it because it was such a dark episode, and not in the manga, but the end of the Barry the Chopper ep. where they're sitting on the steps is a very emotional scene, one of my favorites, and they share quite a lot, right before affirming that they've got to look out for each other, because they're all they've got, and how they'll keep striving together.

Quote:
I disagree I liked the comedy. It made the scene more charming and showed that in the end they were just young boys. Not to mention I love when Al tells Ed maybe one day you can save a young girl like Nina. Because it's not just about Al losing his brother. It's about Ed giving up on his life when there is so much more he can accomplish.

The comedy was too much for me. I'd say it was perfectly charming in the 1st time around. "Oh, this is perfect, now my arm's fallen off, too! Today is a terrible day!" Just a line with great delivery and humor fitting the mood of the scene. It didn't need to be some over exaggerated piece of slapstick comedy to charm me, but, eh, different strokes for different folks. And honestly, the lines themselves are very similar in both versions, so I really don't see how you're getting some grand, overarching message about life and surviving and accomplishments to be made from Brotherhood and only "I don't want to lose you!" from the 1st series - from what you've been saying of the 1st series, it seems like you kind of have a case of rather selective hearing in regards to it.

Quote:
And later on the first anime ignores this theme by having Ed & Al sacrifice themselves for each other. I am sure some fans loved this but I didn't because it misses the entire point of that earlier scene.

So, what, they should've just walked away, or something? Ed is spoiler[basically dead,] and if Al doesn't do something, he's just going to be used by Dante. And would it really have been a satisfying ending if Ed just accepted Al's sacrifice within the last 15 minutes of the episode and decided to move on with his life? The 1st series is all about sacrifice, I don't think they should've taken some black and white stance on it. "Well, we established this way back in episode 15, I'd better not stray from that, despite the extreme differences in the situation." That would've just seemed unrealistic to me, as well. I think it had a lot of depth and emotion to it the way it was done, but, eh, again, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Haha, you know what's funny? In my life drawing class today, our model was playing some classical background music, and an operatic version of the song used at the end of the last episode of the 1st series, where Ed is at the gate, "Song of Parting," I believe it's called on the soundtrack, came on Anime hyper That song just kills me. I love it. Figures I'd talk about that bit of the anime today, heh.

Quote:
But Ed still told Al immediately when he got back. He wasn't trying to keep a secret from Al at all. Al just wasn't there and it's something he thought he needed to do now that he had the chance. It also makes sense why he wouldn't want to tell something like this to Al over the phone. Quite honestly if this was the first anime, I am pretty sure Al would have gotten angry and stormed off. And I don't really think Al was keeping anything from Ed either. He just told Ed what he has decided on when he was gone.

Well, of course he did, it was good news - morbid, but good. With the same results, I believe Al would've acted the same way. And I'm pretty sure what Al finally shares with Ed are meant to be the unnecessary thoughts that he has while up all night that he talks about earlier. Which do rather parallel Ed's nightmares, which I like, but we don't really have anything to suggest they've been sharing these thoughts beforehand, do we?

Quote:
That one time would be fine if Al didn't go against Ed so many other times: run off with Scar, Tucker, and heck even Hohenheim when he saw how upset Ed was. It was a little too much for me. That really besides the anime telling me they were close and playing the song "Brothers" I could never feel it.

And I don't think Ed & Al are clones at all in this . Their personalities are different. For one thing Ed is much more rash and hot headed. While Al is a bit more mature and level headed. They are not the same people. But you can have different personalities and not go against each other every other second.

They don't always agree on everything but they work things out together and depend and rely on each other.

Yes, maybe Al does go against Ed more often in the 1st series, but they still always work things out, and do everything for each other in the end, which is part of the dynamic that makes them more interesting, and easier to relate to, for a lot of people. And can you really fault Al for wanting to spend time with his father? That is one of the fundamental differences in both series - Ed loaths Hoenheim, where as Al is much more passive on the subject, and I don't think it fits right in line with his personality to say he'd be curious about him and want to get to know him. What would be completely out of character for him, to me, would for him to think, "Well, brother doesn't like him, so I'm just gonna put it completely out of mind and follow suit!" The thing with Tucker was Ed being overprotective, and Al wanting to learn more about the stone so that they could actually utilize it and fulfill their dreams. Sure, he was being incredibly gullible, but hey, he's a 14 year old boy.

And that last bit is exactly what I'm saying about the 1st anime, I guess we just have different tolerance levels as for how often they go against each other. Maybe the 1st anime overdoes it a bit, but I think the payoff is worth it.

Quote:
I purposely only mentioned scenes from Brotherhood. If I mentioned scenes in the manga I could show how their bond was even stronger. You don't have to be together every five seconds to be close. And I think people exaggerate the amount of times they are separated. They were not always together in the first series either. In fact I remember Al being with Scar just as much as Ed in the first series.

If there's any exaggeration here, it's the idea that Al spends just as much time with Scar as he does Ed. No, they weren't always together in the 1st anime, either, but the separation is typically on a much smaller scale. It's nice that in Brotherhood, they have been and will be getting involved in completely different conflicts/situations, it just occurs more than one might expect. In the 1st series, they get separated, but their situations are more closely related and intertwined. And even when Al is with Scar(which, yes, does happen every so often, but not that frequently), the interesting connection that they share is that they're both the younger brothers. They relate through the feelings they have for their older brothers, which serves to drive the point home even further, for me.

Quote:
I am sorry I don't know any real life siblings that act like Ed & Al in the first anime. You can love someone but not be totally dependent on them, And yes I realize they would be dependent after what they've been through but at times I felt it was ridiculous in the first anime. They are brothers, not lovers.

Well, for one, I think it's important to remember that Ed and Al have been through something together so extreme that it's impossible any pair of siblings could've really suffered anything similar - not to say it's the worst thing that could ever happen, but it's a very unique situation. So I think it makes perfect sense that aspects of their relationship and their bonds are portrayed to the extreme. And their opposing each other also falls in perfect line with typical sibling behavior. They're a pair of brothers who have been put through ridiculously extreme situations. I think evidence of that plays out very nicely in their relationship in the 1st series.

Quote:
It's not that I doubt that Ed & Al loved each other very much in the first series but the director did a lot of telling me and not showing me. I guess I don't always need things in my face to know that the characters care about each other. And I can see that characters who argue, keep secrets from another, disagree all the time love each other. But those things don't make me think they are close. Quite the opposite in fact.

Another matter of personal taste, I guess. You want less, we want more. I don't think it came off as the director flat out telling us, "hey, they have strong bonds, they love each other!," but whatever. And what makes me think they are close is that they do go through all of that, and still end up overcoming it together. And I just think those traits, good and bad, are realistic and make them more endearing and relatable.

Quote:
Look I will agree that the first anime focuses more specifically on the relationship of Ed & Al. But that doesn't make Ed & Al closer in the first series. It was Ed & Al's relationship in the manga (yes I said manga not Brotherhood, but I am only watching Brotherhood for the manga) that got me into the series in the first place. So the idea that they are not as close in this version is absolutely ridiculous to me.

Well, to be honest, that sounds rather biased. Which I can't fault you for - maybe I am a bit biased myself, seeing as I saw the anime 1st, but I do genuinely love both versions of the story, to the point where if I had to choose between the two, my brain would explode Razz But yeah, certainly, nobody is completely, 100% objective.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:

Well, maybe you don't remember it, but it was most certainly there. There was one scene in particular I always liked where Al is telling Ed to quit taking the blame for everything that happened that night, because he was the one who'd had a bad feeling about it, but he didn't act on it and prevent them from doing anything, making it just as much his burden as Ed's. Al complains that Ed is taking on too much of the burden a few times, as I recall. And maybe you just didn't like it because it was such a dark episode, and not in the manga, but the end of the Barry the Chopper ep. where they're sitting on the steps is a very emotional scene, one of my favorites, and they share quite a lot, right before affirming that they've got to look out for each other, because they're all they've got, and how they'll keep striving together.

Well I have seen the first series several times but I admit that was some years ago so yes there are things I have forgotten. I guess this is one of them.

Quote:

So, what, they should've just walked away, or something? Ed is spoiler[basically dead,] and if Al doesn't do something, he's just going to be used by Dante. And would it really have been a satisfying ending if Ed just accepted Al's sacrifice within the last 15 minutes of the episode and decided to move on with his life? The 1st series is all about sacrifice, I don't think they should've taken some black and white stance on it. "Well, we established this way back in episode 15, I'd better not stray from that, despite the extreme differences in the situation." That would've just seemed unrealistic to me, as well. I think it had a lot of depth and emotion to it the way it was done, but, eh, again, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

No I do not think either Ed & Al should have just walked away. But the director set up this final scene of self sacrifice that contradicts with this earlier scene. I am not blaming the characters themselves but I found the scene itself over bearing. Although I do like the music that was playing. In fact I love the first series OST.

Sacrifice is used way too often in stories that it has become a cliche I strongly dislike. And that is why I love that earlier scene because it says sacrifice is not going to make the other person happy. You are giving up on your life and all you can accomplish. And I think going back to them sacrificing themselves ruins the point of that scene.

Quote:

Well, of course he did, it was good news - morbid, but good. With the same results, I believe Al would've acted the same way. And I'm pretty sure what Al finally shares with Ed are meant to be the unnecessary thoughts that he has while up all night that he talks about earlier. Which do rather parallel Ed's nightmares, which I like, but we don't really have anything to suggest they've been sharing these thoughts beforehand, do we?

Actually there were scenes that suggested they talked about their feelings earlier. They certainly talked about Al's feelings on the rooftop in the hospital. It doesn't mean they talk about them every second. But I never got the feeling this was the first time they talked about such things in the series.

Quote:

Yes, maybe Al does go against Ed more often in the 1st series, but they still always work things out, and do everything for each other in the end, which is part of the dynamic that makes them more interesting, and easier to relate to, for a lot of people.

It doesn't make them easier to relate to for me at all. But as you say different strokes for different folks

Quote:

And can you really fault Al for wanting to spend time with his father? That is one of the fundamental differences in both series - Ed loaths Hoenheim, where as Al is much more passive on the subject, and I don't think it fits right in line with his personality to say he'd be curious about him and want to get to know him. What would be completely out of character for him, to me, would for him to think, "Well, brother doesn't like him, so I'm just gonna put it completely out of mind and follow suit!"

No I do not fault Al for wanting to talk to Hohenheim. I do fault Al for running off with Hohenheim when he knew how Ed felt about it. He could have at least talked to Ed do something beforehand. Not just run off like that.

Quote:

The thing with Tucker was Ed being overprotective, and Al wanting to learn more about the stone so that they could actually utilize it and fulfill their dreams. Sure, he was being incredibly gullible, but hey, he's a 14 year old boy.

Exactly he is a year younger than Ed. I don't see why he should be that gullible or why Ed needs to be that over protective. I mean yes manga!Al was pretty gullible to believe Barry but this thing with Tucker was towards the end of the series. It seemed Al learned nothing. Especially after he knew what Tucker did to Nina.

Quote:

If there's any exaggeration here, it's the idea that Al spends just as much time with Scar as he does Ed. No, they weren't always together in the 1st anime, either, but the separation is typically on a much smaller scale. It's nice that in Brotherhood, they have been and will be getting involved in completely different conflicts/situations, it just occurs more than one might expect. In the 1st series, they get separated, but their situations are more closely related and intertwined. And even when Al is with Scar(which, yes, does happen every so often, but not that frequently), the interesting connection that they share is that they're both the younger brothers. They relate through the feelings they have for their older brothers, which serves to drive the point home even further, for me.

Perhaps it was a slight exaggeration but the point is Ed & Al were not always together in the 1st series either. And while Scar did turn out to be a good person I do find it a bit odd that Al would so easily accept Scar who was the same person who earlier tried to kill his brother.

And I am not saying I disliked the relationship of Al & Scar in the 1st anime. Personally I liked it more than Al's relationship with Ed.

But yes Al has more of his own adventures in the manga and thus Brotherhood. However that doesn't mean that Ed & Al are not close. It just fleshes out Ed & Al more as independent characters. However you can be independent and still be very close.

Quote:
Well, for one, I think it's important to remember that Ed and Al have been through something together so extreme that it's impossible any pair of siblings could've really suffered anything similar - not to say it's the worst thing that could ever happen, but it's a very unique situation. So I think it makes perfect sense that aspects of their relationship and their bonds are portrayed to the extreme. And their opposing each other also falls in perfect line with typical sibling behavior. They're a pair of brothers who have been put through ridiculously extreme situations. I think evidence of that plays out very nicely in their relationship in the 1st series.

I did say I understand that they have been through a lot but I still felt their dependency on each other was overblown in the first series. And no I personally do not think their disagreements were typical sibling behavior at all.

Quote:
Another matter of personal taste, I guess. You want less, we want more. I don't think it came off as the director flat out telling us, "hey, they have strong bonds, they love each other!," but whatever. And what makes me think they are close is that they do go through all of that, and still end up overcoming it together. And I just think those traits, good and bad, are realistic and make them more endearing and relatable.

Sure the story ended with them wanting to be together and leaving everyone else behind and barely saying goodbye, even to Winry (which certainly didn't endear me to either Ed or Al) but again that is just the story telling me how close they are. A lot of their specific actions in the story showed me something very different.

Quote:
Well, to be honest, that sounds rather biased. Which I can't fault you for - maybe I am a bit biased myself, seeing as I saw the anime 1st, but I do genuinely love both versions of the story, to the point where if I had to choose between the two, my brain would explode Razz But yeah, certainly, nobody is completely, 100% objective.

Everyone is biased, it's an opinion. But it doesn't lessen my point. Your point is they are not as close in Brotherhood. But the only thing you are really mentioning is that there is less of a specific focus on their relationship. This I will not argue with. But the story itself doesn't always have to focus on Ed & Al to show that they have a close and loving relationship. It's the way they specifically act around each other when they are together or even when they are apart and thinking of each other that shows me how close they are.

I am sorry it is just a pet peeve of mine when people say Ed & Al are not as close in the manga storyline because of how much I love their relationship in the story. I think people confuse how much with what is shown. It's not how much Ed & Al interact that matters to me, but specifically how they actually interact when they are together.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
No I do not think either Ed & Al should have just walked away. But the director set up this final scene of self sacrifice that contradicts with this earlier scene. I am not blaming the characters themselves but I found the scene itself over bearing. Although I do like the music that was playing. In fact I love the first series OST.

Sacrifice is used way too often in stories that it has become a cliche I strongly dislike. And that is why I love that earlier scene because it says sacrifice is not going to make the other person happy. You are giving up on your life and all you can accomplish. And I think going back to them sacrificing themselves ruins the point of that scene.

Yes, they learn that lesson earlier, but they're human, people don't just learn something and infallibly commit to it. And given their situation, their actions don't surprise me at all. And I don't really think the series could've ended in any other way, personally. I suppose one could come up with variations on the ending, maybe even something that would've negated my desire for the movie afterwards, but to end it with something like "and they defeated Dante and used the stone to restore both their bodies" would've just gone against the grain of the show. It's too perfect, and like both Mustang and Hoenheim say in the last episode - the world's not perfect. Even the Earth is spinning on a tilted axis, just trying the best it can. But that's what makes it so damn beautiful. To combine/paraphrase them, heh. So I'd much rather maintain that than the idea that self sacrifice is overrated.

And I don't really think the ending contradicts the idea of not giving up on life, because I don't think they had, not the way Ed had before. They were merely acting completely selflessly, making active attempts to save the person they loved most, rather than slumping over, waiting for death to come once they've guaranteed the other will be spared. I can see the parallels, but it's just a totally different situation in my mind.

Quote:
Actually there were scenes that suggested they talked about their feelings earlier. They certainly talked about Al's feelings on the rooftop in the hospital. It doesn't mean they talk about them every second. But I never got the feeling this was the first time they talked about such things in the series.

I know that they've talked about their feelings, but these are rather specific thoughts. And actually, not to bring the manga into this too much, but rereading it, Al actually says that he'd always been too afraid to say he was afraid that he'd killed their mom twice. And he also says something like "how could you do that without telling me?" even after Ed tells him it wasn't their mother they transmuted. I don't think that second thing really gets carried over into the episode, but I felt that Al's having kept those thoughts secret until then was implied enough. Just the way it was written, it didn't sound like a conversation they'd had before.

Quote:
No I do not fault Al for wanting to talk to Hohenheim. I do fault Al for running off with Hohenheim when he knew how Ed felt about it. He could have at least talked to Ed do something beforehand. Not just run off like that.

He could've, but I don't really think it would've changed things that drastically. It was more a spur of the moment thing, it would've been weird for them to sit down and have a conversation about it.

Quote:
Exactly he is a year younger than Ed. I don't see why he should be that gullible or why Ed needs to be that over protective. I mean yes manga!Al was pretty gullible to believe Barry but this thing with Tucker was towards the end of the series. It seemed Al learned nothing. Especially after he knew what Tucker did to Nina.

Al has the philosopher's stone inside of him, and there are a bunch of homunculi with super-human powers after him, why would Ed not be overprotective? And yeah, Al should've been a bit more suspicious, but he also knew that Tucker had been privy to information about the stone, and was probably getting pretty desperate. I'll admit, it was not Al's brightest moment. To say it was an act of defiance towards Ed is misleading, though.

Quote:
Perhaps it was a slight exaggeration but the point is Ed & Al were not always together in the 1st series either. And while Scar did turn out to be a good person I do find it a bit odd that Al would so easily accept Scar who was the same person who earlier tried to kill his brother.

I think that's part of Al's inherent ability to see the good in everybody. Perhaps that was also a factor with Tucker. It's one of his biggest strengths, and also one of his biggest weaknesses, I think. He is the type to try and understand, rather than to hold grudges. And I don't think it's an immediate thing, really - he starts out questioning him and trying to get him to stop going after Ed in lab 5, and that's where their understanding begins. That's just how Al goes about doing things.

Quote:
I did say I understand that they have been through a lot but I still felt their dependency on each other was overblown in the first series. And no I personally do not think their disagreements were typical sibling behavior at all.

Well, in my experience, I'd say it's pretty typical. I love my sibs, but I can understand Ed and Al's occasional frustration quite well, too.

Quote:
Sure the story ended with them wanting to be together and leaving everyone else behind and barely saying goodbye, even to Winry (which certainly didn't endear me to either Ed or Al) but again that is just the story telling me how close they are. A lot of their specific actions in the story showed me something very different.

It was a little disappointing how little Ed interacted with Winry while he was there, yes, but at the same time, I think their leaving had to be abrupt. I'm still not saying it was perfect, but I don't think some big goodbye scene would've been perfect, either. I understand wanting more resolution there, though.

Quote:
Everyone is biased, it's an opinion. But it doesn't lessen my point. Your point is they are not as close in Brotherhood. But the only thing you are really mentioning is that there is less of a specific focus on their relationship. This I will not argue with. But the story itself doesn't always have to focus on Ed & Al to show that they have a close and loving relationship. It's the way they specifically act around each other when they are together or even when they are apart and thinking of each other that shows me how close they are.

Yes, everyone is biased, as I said. But I think we can all still try to appreciate the different versions for what they are, and the way you're phrasing things kind of makes you sound spiteful towards the 1st anime for deviating so much. Which kind of leads me to think this conversation is pointless. I'm not saying they aren't as close in Brotherhood, I'm just saying it is made more evident in the 1st series, so, of course, it's going to get a bigger, more positive reaction from me. Brotherhood has its own ways of showing their relationship, and they work, and I do not doubt how close they are, it just simply isn't as engrossing for me.
amarielah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I have yet to meet a single set of siblings with any sort of close relationship where it wasn't typical behavior. Familiarity breeds love, but it also breeds contempt. I know that's how it is with my elder sister. She's my best friend, but we can sometimes have some pretty nasty fights. What counts is that we make up and don't hold grudges.

In my experience, the only types of siblings who don't butt heads every so often are the ones who don't live in close proximity to one another, and don't really have that close of a relationship.

As for their dependency on each other in the first anime: The Elrics displayed some pretty hectic abandonment issues by even trying to bring their mother back, which is why the lack of dependency in Brotherhood strikes me as odd. When the only person you can really trust in the world is a sibling, I do believe that an unhealthy dependency like that can develop. And yes, I acknowledge that it's unhealthy, but that's what makes it so interesting for me to watch.

I guess I just think that their relationship was portrayed more realistically in the first anime (at least based on my own experiences with my and other people's siblings), which is not going to be everybody's bag of chips. And I like my characters emotionally vulnerable and dysfunctional, because I'm an armchair psychologist at heart.

Quote:
I think that's part of Al's inherent ability to see the good in everybody. Perhaps that was also a factor with Tucker. It's one of his biggest strengths, and also one of his biggest weaknesses, I think. He is the type to try and understand, rather than to hold grudges. And I don't think it's an immediate thing, really - he starts out questioning him and trying to get him to stop going after Ed in lab 5, and that's where their understanding begins. That's just how Al goes about doing things.

Agreed. I think a lot of people who criticize this part of the series are really just saying that they disliked the way the first anime handled Al's characterization. Which is a legitimate opinion, but which isn't always expressed straightforwardly. The fact that Alphonse teamed up with two people who had previously hurt somebody he cared about goes to show that he really is willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, provided that their motivations are noble (or something that he can sympathize with). And the fact that his entire motivation for going to Lior with Edward was to stop Martel and Scar from finally taking their revenge was the clincher. Al doesn't usually hold grudges, and that's established early on by how differently he and Edward feel about their father, even though it was partly their father's fault that Trisha's health failed in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2