• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - MMMHolic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ooga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
I probably have more than my fair share of school comedies in my anime collection, and I have to say: Girl's High is definitely one of my favorites. It just seems so different and fresh compared to most shows out there like Azumanga or DokiDoki. I found it very funny and enjoyed it immensely.

Also, I saw a couple of episodes of Soul Eater and have no idea what you're referring to when you say "Titty Witch".
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Quote:
I agree that Mariya made fun of Kanako's sexuality in a very distasteful way, and we were supposed to laugh at that, resulted in something that is degrading to gays and lesbians.

Again, this is supposed to be funny? A sadistic and abusive crossdresser who gets off on torturing and degrading a lesbian girl until she falls in love with him? What's funny about mocking or abusing someone and their sexuality until you browbeat them into "loving you?"

Until you renounce you homosexual ways -which are a joke, and only meant to entertain others- and just "find a good man."

You should have just stopped at the word "degrading." And added the word "Offensive."

You're getting completely hung up on Mariya's treatment of Kanako allegedly because of the latter's sexuality, but disregard that Kanako herself is hardly an accurate representation of an actual lesbian, but also an extreme parody of one. That, to me, is what makes the emotional abuse inflicted on her amusing. It's Kanako's unrealistic perverted personality that is frequently the driving cause of her suffering nearly as much as Mariya's little games.

Joketsu wrote:
Mariya is quite possibly one of the worst protagonists in history.

Mariya isn't the protagonist, he's the antagonist. Kanako is the protagonist.
CCZilla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of Maria+Holic, I honestly didn't care too much for the show. The only things that drew me in were the animation style and the priest character that shows up near the end of the series. However, I didn't not like it for being hate speech, although at times, it very much is anti-lesbian. I didn't like it because of Kanako, the "defenseless lesbian-girl" everyone's so willing to cry over. She's detestable. She's as shameless a pervert as most male harem leads who get what's coming to them when they get into pervy situations.

I don't care for the idea of Mariya getting with Kanako either, it's too obvious of an end result for the series. But Kanako's torture is not too different from most of what you'll see happen to, let's say, Keitaro from Love Hina, except instead of physical slapstick, it's all psychological. Mariya manipulates Kanako so easily because Kanako has such a one-track mind. She says she wants love, but she's fickle and I found the lengths of her perversion almost disturbing at times. In the end, I just simply couldn't bring myself to like either lead. They are both crude and disgusting in their own unique ways. Hmm, come to think of it, maybe the lengths of their crudeness means they are fit for each other after all...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ooga wrote:
Also, I saw a couple of episodes of Soul Eater and have no idea what you're referring to when you say "Titty Witch".

The witch from the first episode with the giant boobs who gives Soul a nosebleed all the time and who appears frequently in a bathtub with carefully placed bubbles that barely cover her nipples. That Titty Witch.
Joketsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with being perverted, and I know I'm a shameless pervert at times myself, and as long as nobody is getting bruised from it, it's all gravy.

Kanako more comes off as a stereotype of how homophobes see homosexuals and homosexuality, which is all we apparently think about is sex and physical acts with each other. Protip: It's not. We have feelings and want relationships like anyone else does. She's a character created in purest ignorance and the author's willingness to avoid actually learning just so they can get some cheap laughs.

There's nothing wrong with a perverted character or their deeds, but there is wrong in saying that's all there is to a person.

Honestly, I found none of the characters enjoyable at all, they were all gross exaggerations or incarnations of pure evil, and show the creator's lack of creativity and knowledge, but hating them just for being dirty isn't very cool. Pervs can have hearts too.

It's possible to use these things to an actually funny advantage, but again, the creator just took the lazy path and went as offensive as possible. I don't know if they honestly believe in any of what is portrayed, but it does show how bad they are as a writer.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The blurb on the main page promised that Erin would tell us what REAL high school girls do and what they REALLY talk about in the locker room.

Aside from the pubic hair anecdote, I found NO SUCH THING! WAY TO GET MY HOPES UP!

Wink
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I had a feeling that she'd rate it Soul Eater Shelf Worthy...

And it was the reason I thought it be too: the visuals...

Shonen anime are like flashbang grenades; the either focus too much on the flash(outward appeal) or on the bang(plot content/essence).
Those that have an equal balance are considered legendary (FMA, Yu Yu, Dragon Ball).

Soul Eater may be a good, fun(ny), if a (little) unique, ride. But Erin pretty much said it: it's more of the same...

Another fact I've noticed is that the first few shonen series watched will appear to be a fan's favorite, and everything else after will be dull and boring. Therefore, only those who haven't seen enough shonen, or those who are fans of the art, will wholly appreciate this title.
For me, it's Bleach. For a lot, it's DBZ. For many, it's Naruto. For now, it's this (I guess...)

Girl's High stream worthy? While she may be true about the behavior of the girls, it's (WAAAAY) too fan-servicey to be taken seriously... Only watched 6 and gave up.

Good article though! Keep up the good work!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Girl's High stream worthy? While she may be true about the behavior of the girls, it's (WAAAAY) too fan-servicey to be taken seriously... Only watched 6 and gave up.

Rolling Eyes I feel like I need to protect my fellow horndogs. Some of them, reading the above quote may rush out to watch Girl's High in the delighted expectation that it will be stuffed with fan service. Let me assure you, you'll be disappointed if that is the main reason for watching the show. Keep in mind the opinion expressed above may be from a person for whom a single panty flash may cause them to start squealing, "ZOMG THERE IS SO MUCH FAN SERVICE!!!" Rolling Eyes
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me assure you, you'll be disappointed if that is the main reason for watching the show. Keep in mind the opinion expressed above may be from a person for whom a single panty flash may cause them to start squealing, "ZOMG THERE IS SO MUCH FAN SERVICE!!!"

I don't get what you're implying...

But, if you think that a faceful of crotch being recieved at opposite ends of two females, that's NEAR the beginning of the series (I forgot which ep, either 1 or 2), combined with pointless flashing throughout (again, I've only watched up to ep 6, so i don't know anything beyond that...), a "single panty-flash", then you must've had your eyes closed, went to the bathroom a lot, or bought a heavily edited ver. because this is mostly a skin-fest.

If anyone wants an accurate take on high school girls, that ISN'T skimpy, watch Azumanga Daioh.

No offense Blood- but I can't see how you'd call this anything other than "food for horndogs".
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Fan service seems like the wrong descriptor when talking about Girl's High. It's more like "fan squirm". As a guy watching this show, some of the frank discussions between women in the show, no matter their state of dress or undress, caused many a uncomfortable shift in my chair. And yes, many times I found myself laughing out loud too, it is a very enjoyable show in that sense.

And I can respect the 'in your face' aspect of it too, showing women how they are, instead of always idealized, can be refreshing.

Erin might have done Media Blasters a small favor and recommended it as shelf worthy, since recent news items on ANN makes it sound like they could use all the help they can get. (layoffs, release delays, etc.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't implying that GH contained only a single panty flash. I was implying that only a viewer who has a very low tolerance for fan service would think GH has WAAAAAAAAAY too much of it and be blinded to all the other types of humour (and drama) that goes on as well. From my memory, it seems most of the fan service happens in the earlier episodes and then peters out (pun intended) as the series goes on.

To view GH - even just the first 6 episodes - as "mostly a skinfest" is, in my view, a distorted opinion. As always, I encourage people to check it for themselves and decide.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

Rolling Eyes I feel like I need to protect my fellow horndogs. Some of them, reading the above quote may rush out to watch Girl's High in the delighted expectation that it will be stuffed with fan service. Let me assure you, you'll be disappointed if that is the main reason for watching the show. Keep in mind the opinion expressed above may be from a person for whom a single panty flash may cause them to start squealing, "ZOMG THERE IS SO MUCH FAN SERVICE!!!" Rolling Eyes

Blood-, you already know this, but for some others who haven't read the manga, the manga has a bit more in the fanservice area than the show did. The show is more or less toned down from the manga, which I enjoyed, and I enjoyed the show as well, but the manga was better IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
But if there is any character in Maria Holic who is offensive for conforming too much to stereotypical depictions of people, it's Kanako herself. She can't make up her mind who to love, her attraction to girls seems frivolous and seems incapable of ever really loving someone for who they are inside suggests (wrongfully) that lesbians are people who don't deserve a loving bond like straight people. I think by making her the center of abuse, and Mariya is the only character in the show possessing the sensibility to do so, we are relieved of the temptation to reach through the screen and punch her ourselves. Although the violence and psychological torture are a bit extreme, anything less would make it feel too watered down and placid. So I agree with Dorcas_Aurelia on this.

So sorry for challenging your sexual confidence CareyGrant, but I hate when it seems people are judging and berating a show merely for having non-gender conforming characters and exploring GLBT issues. I myself am rather disproportionately drawn towards anime like that. They're pertinent to my interests.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Joketsu wrote:
Kanako more comes off as a stereotype of how homophobes see homosexuals and homosexuality, which is all we apparently think about is sex and physical acts with each other.

There are plenty of straight anime characters who are portrayed the exact same way. Immediately the character nicknamed "Vouyer" from Baka Test comes to mind. He's completely straight and acts exactly like Kanako, except he's less subtle about it. Her sexual orientation has little to do with her perverted characterization.

Quote:
Honestly, I found none of the characters enjoyable at all, they were all gross exaggerations ...

That's kind of the point.

Quote:
and show the creator's lack of creativity and knowledge...

The accuracy with which the actual Catholic rituals were depicted shows that there was actual research done. I recall the May Day episode began with Kanako's fantasy about pretty girls, and is quickly quashed by Mariya explaining how it actually works. Kanako isn't meant to represent a typical lesbian, but is rather a stand-in for the creepy fans of yuri shows who get hung-up on the fictional pretense and ceremony (like the big sister-little sister relationships so common in those shows) that have little to no basis in reality.

Otaking09 wrote:

So don't take it seriously then. Just because it's more realistic in its depiction of an all-girls school (so people say, I have no experience with such) doesn't mean it's serious.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Joketsu wrote:
It's not cute, it's not funny, it's not satire in the least, and defending it by just saying "lol it's a joke" is the weakest excuse in the book.

It's appalling. If you've experienced hate directly or indirectly you'd never find this funny. And when I say "hate" I mean something far worse than being looked down on or thought uncool for watching anime or being an "otaku."

Have you ever been threatened with violence or death because you like watching anime?

Too many people -including you're "avg." white male anime fan- have no experience being on the receiving end of such discrimination or senseless animosity. No clue at all.

Quote:
I agree with the person who said all this series is is about beating on a poor, confused lesbian until she's forced to love a man. Even if Mariya WAS a woman, I would not enjoy this series at all, as physical and verbal abuse have no place in a relationship whatsoever.

Exactly! Abuse of any kind is intolerable and not a part of any real/true relationship regardless of gender. I'd despise Maria just as much if He were a She.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8