• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:
Ahh, they broke even. Well, the only message I convey from crunchyroll is that piracy, donations and the help of fansubs though a perpetual fanbase can really pay off, if you use it correctly.

... that is, "using it correctly" as in, putting together venture capital finance to generate the money required to abandon user uploads in favor of content owner uploads and add over a year and a half of work.

Easy! One wonders why all the bootleg sites don't do the same.

I've always wondered since they went legit, just where the venture capital money came from and how much those involved knew about the site's previous incarnation. I'm just genuinely curious since knowledge of the previous actions would probably give people pause.
The global mofia has oceans of money they love to put throught the wash cycle anyway they can, allegedly. Wink
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I really don't think they have really changed their ways

So then what the heck do you call what they're doing now? Magic?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
My thoughts exactly. The site started out as a illegal fansub site and to be frank, I really don't think they have really changed their ways or even feel bad for what they once did.

Some people deserve redemption and some don't. I am not saying they don't deserve a second chance, but given their past, I am not saying they exacting deserve redemption either.

Frankly put, I still don't trust Crunchyroll and because of their past, that may be not be wise to trust them.

There isn't a single unauthorised video on crunchyroll these days, isn't that enough of a change? I believe a number of people who first created the anime industry in American started out either watching, sharing or creating VHS fansubs, what about them?
CR has the trust of a number of large companies in Japan which probably wasn't easily won, even with money greasing the palms. Unlike Crunchy, Youtube still hosts thousands of fansubbed and otherwise illegal videos as well as being "trusted" with any number of legal streams from huge corporations, yet there's no great clamour for them to "redeem" themselves. They take down videos when asked to but so did Crunchyroll back when they first made the headlines and people started taking notice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There isn't a single unauthorised video on crunchyroll these days, isn't that enough of a change? I believe a number of people who first created the anime industry in American started out either watching, sharing or creating VHS fansubs, what about them?

Yeah, it's a bit ironic looking back ADV, MB, AnimEigo. Even the entire film industry itself has a kind of similar story, why it moved from the east coast to the west CA coast (all the hollywood filmakers were labeled as thieves by Edison)

Quote:
CR has the trust of a number of large companies in Japan which probably wasn't easily won, even with money greasing the palms. Unlike Crunchy, Youtube still hosts thousands of fansubbed and otherwise illegal videos as well as being "trusted" with any number of legal streams from huge corporations, yet there's no great clamour for them to "redeem" themselves. They take down videos when asked to but so did Crunchyroll back when they first made the headlines and people started taking notice.

And Kadokawa makes money--a lot in fact--from "illegal", copyright infringing uploads on youtube due to their agreement actually, which is why they aren't removed now.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
So, in the opinions of the anti-CRers its better to support sites that still partake in illegal activities (because you know, at least they stick to their guns! CR you f***ing sellouts Rolling Eyes) or still turn to fansubs of CR available titles which in turn offers zero support to the original company that provided said title in hopes a sufficient number of those fansub viewers purchase the DVDs while at least with CR you get some type of return even from those viewers who never end up buying the DVDs? Hmm... interesting logic. No wait... what's the opposite of interesting? Ridiculous? Re***ed?

Yes, CR were the lucky ones who got the chance to go legit. But legit they did rather then the "Oh noes... a C&D. I guess that means i have to move my servers again.", like so many other sites do or "oh, you can't touch me, my servers are in Finland. So good luck with all the legal stuff you need to go through to get my stuff while I keep all the money." Anime in the US has always had questionable origins as the people who work in the industry so to hold CR to its origins while we let others forget it and look at their results instead? That just sour grapes or the whining of those who didn't get a chance 2 years ago like CR did.

Also punishment for CR? I think risking the lost of a fair number of its subscribers during the change over (which they did), entering into legal agreements with legal consequences, working at a lost of profits for two years (why they still might depending on what they mean by revenue), and the overall stress of complying with their contracts and risk of going under with no option to just take the money and leave or move servers like a fansite can? And the ever present risk of being a "fail" in interweb business? Upgrading from "Oh my sites down, fun while it lasted and I got money" to entrepreneur level with the risk of ending up with nothing; yeah, I think that's its own kind of punishment.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I think the problem stems from the feeling that there was a certain amount of dismissal for what they used to do. There was no punishment and now they get to work with Japanese companies and toot their horn. Normally, people don't get bragging rights when they fix a mistake.

Lots of people get up on a high horse because they "used to be sinners" and "now they've gone straight" - the whole noisy reformed sinner act like George W Bush did.

I've never seen Crunchyroll do that whole reformed sinner thing, and if they did, it'd probably annoy me.

Pragmatically, the whole point of copyright is to allow the creators of original work to get income from the activity. Standing in mid-2008, if we had asked rights owners, "would it be a good thing for you if Crunchyroll stopped being a pirate base and only allowed uploads from the anime producers themselves", they would have said yes.

If we had added, "which is more important to you, stopping the piracy or Crunchyroll loudly confessing that what they were doing was wrong" ... my guess is they would have said stopping the piracy was more important than a confession of guilt.

Indeed, from the evidence, it was more important for TV Tokyo, Chiba TV and TBS, who all faced head to head competition from Crunchy when it was a pirate support base, and who all have shows that they broadcast which are simulcasting at Crunchy.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Personally it be support Crunchyroll but part of it is that they don't have a lot of programming that interests me (and the ones they do I'm confident will come out here, so I can wait for that release instead.)

For me there is some forgiveness (they are supporting the industry) and in a situation the anime fandom should be supportive of their experiment (imagine what would happen if it were to fail) But for me the types of shows they license do not appeal to me, so I don't watch them. Now it would be better for me if I could get confirmation on whether they paid taxes on the income that they made during their bootleg years (as if they didn't that could be tax evasion) or if any other "pre-payments" from that period were paid out. But yeah they are doing the right thing, can't fault them for it, but there will be those that won't forget what they were, more time will be needed, but they shouldn't go out of their way to make them fail either.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'd be very excited for game console integration. It works fine on my laptop that's connected to my TV but all of my video content looks better when I run it through my PS3.

Yes, they don't get HD on the PS3 relying on the browser, so hopefully the Adobe Mobile Framework stuff will give them a platform to fix that.

Quote:
Digital manga initiative sounds interesting although it'd take some heavy-hitter titles to make me subscribe to it. Also, I hope that whatever is system where you pay a fee to access the entire library rather than paying per item, whether that be volume, series or chapter.

Yes, I'd prefer they stick to the same model, with ad-supported viewing and a manga membership with more/quicker access and premium features. I'd especially like to have context-sensitive 2d panel paging, so I can read on my netbook and don't have to crank up my aging Linux laptop for the manga.

Quote:
Coming to android is a good thing, although I wonder how legible subtitles are on anything smaller than an iPad. I'm getting older and I don't want to have to read microtext.

They use the built in subtitle system on the iPhone / iPod Touch app - I don't have one, so don't know how easy to read the subtitles are.

Quote:
Sounds like good stuff is on the way. Hopefully they pick up more anime titles. In the first few seasons of legit CR they were grabbing what felt like double digit numbers of series. I want it to go back to that.

Only three of the current simulcasts are ending this season, so anything more than three new simulcasts will at least increase the number that they had.

I think some rights holders were disappointed by the royalty revenue ... after all, if you get 100,000 views, that'll translate to $1,000's of dollars. Crunchy has to focus up-front license fees on titles it expects to drive traffic and subscriptions. And for the rest, even if Crunchy pays an advance that covers the subtitling costs, its likely some titles will take a while before they earn back the advance.

There also seems to be a concern by some rights owners that going into Crunchy's back catalog after the simulcast undermines prospects for licensing DVD rights. But the 7day premium + 30day ad-stream model that some rights holders have been insisting on doesn't seem like enough time for word of mouth to build an audience for a show ... a 1wk + 13wk model would be better, since all the episodes would be available at the same time for two weeks for premium members and one week on ad stream before the first episodes hit their streaming deadline.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What they did wasn't any better than what is happening now, but it never got anywhere near bringing down the industry like now either. Lets be honest here. If it wasn't for those "big investors" Crunchyroll would still be running right along side those others that you mentioned today regardless. I have no faith in purchased redemptions. In my view Crunchyroll are no different than pirates from Somalia. One ransomed anime and crew, the other ransomed ships and crew. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lets be honest here. If it wasn't for those "big investors" Crunchyroll would still be running right along side those others that you mentioned today regardless.

Its not clear - unlike the current crop of big leech streaming sites, Crunchyroll hosted the streams themselves, which put them into a more exposed position. They were in a position more like the big three manga viewing sites, without even the partial cover of operating as a Chinese company from Chinese servers.

Indeed, when they first announced that it was site policy to stop hosting licensed series, the reason given was the difficulty in covering the cost of streaming those shows.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I wish they had said more about the console thing. The main reason I don't watch anything on Crunchyroll is because I hate watching stuff on the computer...partly because it's just uncomfortable to watch stuff at my desk, and also because the internet is there. If I'm watching something and my mind drifts for a second, I'll probably open a tab to check Facebook or something. It's a distraction. But yea, if they put CR on PS3 or 360, I'll definitely become a regular Crunchyroll viewer.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been supporting CR since i found out they went legit (when they got naruto shippuden and gintama) and i have been a payed subscriber ever since i love alot of the anime they got and am glad to hear things are going well. can't wait to see what they get for the summer.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Actually, come to think about it, the big teaser news out of the CR panel is the last bit ... if they are talking publicly about users that are authorized to upload subtitles for their region, they must have talked some of the rights owners into allowing that.

If this means German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Romanian, Hungarian, etc. etc.) subtitles in Europe, Thai, Malay, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesia, Cantonese for Southeast Asia, Arabic and Farsi in the Middle East ... that could open the way for getting the interest from advertisers to allow Crunchy to break through the region restriction blocks in Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
The big question, which is still unanswered by CR, is "what's next?" They have announced no new series for this summer and seem to only be continuing the series that did not end.

I know at least 1 of the summer shows has already started, so a "simulcast" (in quotes due to CR having fudged the definition of that themselves) is going to be difficult....

I'm a paying member there and I have to ask myself, what am I getting for my dollars?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
CR often can't announce their licenses early due to licensors holding out till the last minute for a better deal from someone like FUNimation (i.e. streaming and home video rights).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5