• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Game (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wah, just realized Adachi's little breaks inbetween manga chapters really threw me off. The anime is almost over! The manga is over! So I figured I try to revive this thread for the last handful of episodes.

Episode 44: spoiler[Honestly this was one of the parts I really looked forward to in the series since it didn't focus so much on the main characters winning the game. One of tense baseball moments where in the end the secondary characters come through. I was a bit of a sucker for that "Swing hard on the first pitch" moment. I think was excited as the characters seeing the 2nd years pull through like that. Loved how they animated that moment out. Good stuff. And a great little moment with Aoba and Kou at the end since he let that perfect game go by. She was so happy with how well everyone played!... Except for Kou. lol]

Ep. 45: spoiler[Ah... Akane is in the hospital. And with Adachi's track record it can go either way. And such a sad rebuttal from Aoba about how none of them worried about Wakaba that fateful summer.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
At least with the manga over, it's now certain Cross Game will actually have a clear ending though I wonder if spoiler[the anime-only storyline of the girl's baseball team with Aoba] will effect things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if its worth me picking up the anime for the ending, because I was really unhappy with the manga's "conclusion". Guess I'll follow this thread and see if they do anything different/further with the ending. Really though, I liked the fact that the manga spoiler[didn't actually show how they went at the Koshien, but I would have liked to see a more conclusive result with the Kou/Aoba thing.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I'm wondering if its worth me picking up the anime for the ending, because I was really unhappy with the manga's "conclusion". Guess I'll follow this thread and see if they do anything different/further with the ending. Really though, I liked the fact that the manga spoiler[didn't actually show how they went at the Koshien, but I would have liked to see a more conclusive result with the Kou/Aoba thing.]

Unhappy with the conclusion? I thought that the ending was conclusive enough without spelling things out. Or at least I didn't find a lot of ways to interpret the various final moments between the various characters.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Skylark wrote:

Unhappy with the conclusion? I thought that the ending was conclusive enough without spelling things out. Or at least I didn't find a lot of ways to interpret the various final moments between the various characters.

Last thing I knew, spoiler[Aob was going to go out with the batter dude and Kou was trying to get with Akane. The hug-slap-cry scene was great but I think the ending was a bit of a copout is all.] That and It was oretty much my favurite manga read to date so I was sad to see it come to an end.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the ending felt rushed a bit to me. It was a nice ending and really you'd figure things would turn out that way or at least the series hinted at them but I can definitely see why some people would feel a bit dissappointed. Hopefully the anime will take advantage of the fact it doesn't have to wait for the manga anymore so they can expand on the ending a bit. I also really hope when they put together the graphic novel, Adachi adds some extra chapters. 1 normal-sized chapter to wrap everything up just didn't feel like it was enough. I almost prayed he have one more chapter or at least a double sized chapter for us. I liked the ending it has but wouldn't be upset if the anime changes it a bit. Hopefully not as much as Touch's anime ending though.

But back to the anime! I can't wait for episode 47 since it has a really important moment coming up and I just can't wait for it. I can't read Japanese so I always question a translation when it comes to certain words like "friends", "thank you", "sorry" etc etc until I actually hear the words used.
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I won't argue that the end of the manga could have been more satisfying.

However that's not taking away from my enjoyment of the anime series. The anticipation of the upcoming match is quite palpable.

Although I thought that Koh's response to Aoba's question should have ended an episode. No matter, still a great series.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Although I thought that Koh's response to Aoba's question should have ended an episode. No matter, still a great series.

Which episode are you referring to? At the time I write this, episode 47 does not yet seem to be available in translated fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
nechronius wrote:

Which episode are you referring to? At the time I write this, episode 47 does not yet seem to be available in translated fansubs.

There are fansubs of the series up seeing as I seen one this morning.

spoiler[The rematch between Seishu is finally about to start up with Akane's operation occurring on the same day. Aoba and Koh visiting Wakaba's grave also makes Aoba come to grips over the thought of having any feelings for Koh whose thoughts on the matter are intentionally left hanging right now.]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, my regular source wasn't posting it up as quick as usual but I was able to track it down elsewhere.

Even though it may not seem like a lot happened, I thought episode 47 was yet another example of this series' extraordinary sense of timing and pacing, as it sets everything up for the grand climax. It was also one of the best episodes of the series for use of its soundtrack.

The last line of the preview for episode 48 - spoiler["Akaishi. Don't let me have everything."] also seems suitably auspicious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Given it doesn't appear that you've read the manga, I'll just hold my tongue about that last statement in the preview.

To be sure, another outstanding episode and I'm really looking forward to the final four episodes. I mean you have to ask yourself what Aoba and Akane discussed for that question to be brought up.

I did think that the episode was edited a bit oddly, possibly to have several scenes as small flashbacks. I don't recall the manga being done that way but it's a minor nitpick.

On a complete tangent, any plans on expanding your site with information about the new Claymores since the 7 year Time skip? A one word answer is sufficient.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
On a complete tangent, any plans on expanding your site with information about the new Claymores since the 7 year Time skip? A one word answer is sufficient.

Eventually. (Keep forgetting about it when I have free time.)
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Hell, it's been over a month since I last visited these forums, let alone posted. Guess what, Cross Game has worked it's magic on me yet again and inspired me to come post about it.

Episode 47 was an absolute nail biting, emotional roller coaster! Every week I am amazed at Cross Game's ability to draw forth such an emotional reaction from me (in a good way!). I'm very curious as to what Kou spoiler[said to Aoba while they were pitching]-perhaps we will slowly see which way this oddly formed triangle will take.

Cross Game fails to disappoint at any given time and (by a long shot of course) if it is ever released in the US you can count me as one of the fans purchasing this series on DVD. It's simply a classic.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 49, having not read the manga parts of it had me holding my breath every time a crucial play came up.

So it looks like the anime will end the same way as the manga spoiler[without witnessing the final game] which is fine but can anyone tell me if the final episode preview looks to match up closly with what happens in the manga? spoiler[Mainly concerning Kou and Aoba hugging and what is said in those moments]
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow... final episode next week. ep.49 was great although it did feel a tiny bit rushed towards the end. Of course its hard to argue that you wouldn't want it to end on that moment. spoiler[Hopefully they'll redo Kou's hit in the last episode. I think that would make for a nice opening segment.]

As for the question on the last preview? spoiler[Are you sure you wanna know?] spoiler[No turning back now you really sure?] spoiler[Yes, judging by the previews it matches that part and line in the manga fairly well.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11