• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things about anime these days that just absolutely frustrates you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
To be honest I don't think it's the presence of Moe/fan service or whatever that people hate it's the utter LACK of what they love. The Sci Fi and the Superpowers and the Mysteries and the Thrillers etc etc. Unfortunately from a sales perspective it's cheaper to draw 24 episodes of gravity defying breasts and pantsu shots and sell it to horny people than it is to make that stuff. This was always going to happen as soon as Anime became a big money industry. Same thing happening to gaming. If you figure out a solution to stop all these money grubbing !£!"%^£"!* from f!"£!%!"ing up everything i love do let me in on it cos i would like to know.

Take away the advanced tech that allows them to "draw" animes so easy. Just really think about it, when anime has gone fully digital, that's when it was starting to go down in quality and allowing them to produce "money making" shows faster at a cheaper cost. But there is a director out there that puts forth the effort to write a shining gem ever season and not a piece of crap show.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Not too many things annoy me about anime today--yes, there's a lot of vapid stuff but each season has a few standout shows, so it's not like everything each season is shit--as the fanbase tends to drive me insane more, but...

...I really hate how shows are incredibly reluctant to have an even gender ratio. It's either 100% girls, 20% guys/80% girls, or maybe vice versa if it's a fujoshi show. Can we get please get some balance, Japan?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Can we get please get some balance, Japan?

Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
I think most of the shows you're referring to are light novel adaptations.

If I recall these correctly, the first set were adapted from an eroge and light novels, respectively, while the more recent two were a manga and light novels. Humanity Has Declined was another light novel series, but that one I just threw it in there at the last minute for the sake of those who avoid fanservice shows like the plague. It's still a very, very tiny sample, but this is just a perceived pattern that's a minor nuisance to me, so it's only worth the least amount of effort I can possibly get away with.

Saffire wrote:
It also doesn't help that most "potboiler" series are animated exactly as they are written rather than adapted to the new medium.

The series of that type up to a few years ago were overwhelmingly adaptions as well, including ones from light novels, but I don't recall as high a proportion of them suffering from this problem as I believe have done so more recently. Perhaps titles that are already written in this style are currently being favored for adaptations?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Take away the advanced tech that allows them to "draw" animes so easy. Just really think about it, when anime has gone fully digital, that's when it was starting to go down in quality and allowing them to produce "money making" shows faster at a cheaper cost. But there is a director out there that puts forth the effort to write a shining gem ever season and not a piece of crap show.

I agree that digital anime allowed overall production to reach new heights, but it's something that's been happening while everyone was gushing themselves over what Toonami and Adult Swim were airing, 10-12 years ago. It's not something that suddenly jumped out and supplanted "good" anime in one fell swoop in 2006 when no one was looking, people's awareness of these shows in the West has increased, and thus the backlash. If we were still relying on only knowing shows that licensors hand-picked, our perceptions of the industry would be entirely different.

In response to the guy you were responding to, why do sci-fi and gravity defying breasts have to be mutually exclusive? I can recall tons of servicey anime that are futuristic in nature.

Chagen46 wrote:
...I really hate how shows are incredibly reluctant to have an even gender ratio. It's either 100% girls, 20% guys/80% girls, or maybe vice versa if it's a fujoshi show. Can we get please get some balance, Japan?

There is balance, but people just outright dismiss series like Jormungand for some reason or conveniently ignore Space Brothers, Bodacious Space Pirates, Yamato 2199, Humanity Has Declined, and so on. The school days/slice of life shows are easier to animate, they're less intensive on animators and storyboarders. Accel World has some of the most impressive visuals I've seen in a long time when it comes to fights, but it has school kids so it's the worst anime ever.

Remember, Robotics;Notes, Btooom!, and Psycho-Pass are not airing in the Fall, apparently.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
It's not about any specific series, just an overall perception of the various "Panty Fighter," Magical Girlfriend/Harem Action-Comedies, and assorted shows along similar lines.

Now I understand why I didn't comprehend your earlier comment. I don't watch any of the multitude of shows like that. I'm too old to find harems and panties worth my time. If I really have a desire to see animated sex, I'll watch a hentai.

In general I first seek out shows with adult characters like Space Brothers, Mine Fujiko or House of Five Leaves. If I do watch a show with school-aged characters, I look for ones with strong writing or compelling visuals like Sakamichi no Apollon, Chihayafuru, Tsuritama, or Madoka, I will admit to enjoying AKB0048 which turned out to be much more interesting than it might have appeared at first glance.

I have no compunction about going for entire seasons like this one without watching anything new. I probably average about 6-12 new series a year. Over the past twelve months I've rewatched Ergo Proxy, Bartender, Mononoke, Hikaru no Go, and Dennou Coil to name a few. i'm intending to add Moribito, Noein, and Kemono no Sou-ja Erin to that list in the months ahead. At some point I'll be ready to watch Monster again, too.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If we were still relying on only knowing shows that licensors hand-picked, our perceptions of the industry would be entirely different.

That...would be me. I can only watch the anime of titles that have been handpicked by the US companies.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There is balance, but people just outright dismiss series like Jormungand for some reason or conveniently ignore Space Brothers, Bodacious Space Pirates, Yamato 2199, Humanity Has Declined, and so on. The school days/slice of life shows are easier to animate, they're less intensive on animators and storyboarders. Accel World has some of the most impressive visuals I've seen in a long time when it comes to fights, but it has school kids so it's the worst anime ever.

Remember, Robotics;Notes, Btooom!, and Psycho-Pass are not airing in the Fall, apparently.

I suspect most people who complain either dismiss a lot of shows or just plain are oblivious to the 30+ shows that come out a season. How any legitimate anime fan could dismiss Accel World is.... ugh.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL--
I suspect that what sets these über-fans apart from their peers is just how obnoxiously vocal they are.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...How any legitimate anime fan could dismiss Accel World is.... ugh.

I think you're trolling but, again, I challenge you, TitanXL. Go to the What are you watching right now? Why? thread and make a post about why you think Accel World is so good. You are quick to criticise other people but you won't put your own tastes or your own judgements up for scrutiny. Go on. I dare you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
I must admit I kind of fail to see how saying I like a show is a 'challenge'. Though as a guy who's fully admitted to loving shows from Seikon no Qwaser to Pocket Monsters, and others all the time, I wonder why you think my likes aren't open to be judged. I've gotten slammed quite a lot of times for them, in actuality. Quite harshly.

But my post wasn't about 'good' or 'bad', just disappointed people would actually dismiss anime based on premise or setting or something. Especially when someone then goes on to make statements about the industry/show as a whole in a huge generalization statement that is pretty easy to prove false.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
legitimate anime fan.

I think that this is a bad phrase and frame of mind. It's emptiily elitiest and purely exclusionary. It diverts us insensibly from content to identity. Rather than trying to persuade of something, it's dismissing them, implicitly wanting them to be kicked out of the clubhouse.

TitanXL wrote:
I must admit I kind of fail to see how saying I like a show is a 'challenge'. Though as a guy who's fully admitted to loving shows from Seikon no Qwaser to Pocket Monsters, and others all the time, I wonder why you think my likes aren't open to be judged. I've gotten slammed quite a lot of times for them, in actuality. Quite harshly.

I believe that you are misreading the terms and spirit of what he said. The challenge is to provide depth and details to your thoughts and impressions about the things that you like, not to just flip a binary like/not like switch. Actually explaning and elaborating upon an opinion and providing nuance to that opinion is more challenging, interestings and perhaps riskier than simply saying, "I liked it."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Absolutely.

TitanXL, I would much rather read your commentary on the anime you like than your commentary on other anime fans. I really mean that. The summer season is just now finishing (the winter season here in Australia). What was your favourite? Why? How was it better than other anime of its genre? What other anime does it remind you of? Do you like that director? Why? The voice actors? Why? What were your favourite moments? Did it start well? Did it end satisfactorily? Did it look good? Did you like the music? And so on and so forth. Not that it should matter to you, but, you never know, I might be convinced to watch it (if I haven't already).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="walw6pK4Alo"]
Vata Raven wrote:

In response to the guy you were responding to, why do sci-fi and gravity defying breasts have to be mutually exclusive? I can recall tons of servicey anime that are futuristic in nature.

Hey I never said it couldn't Nor am I a proponent of a "Sex has no place in seriouz business" attitude. I just don't like it when it's so plastered eoer everything that it get's in the way. And anime for me is developing a distressing tendency to cross that line. I am not going to complain about silly boobies upskirts etc in a show that is basically a raunchy one dimensional comedy. Nothing wrong with that at all. I just don't like it when I have to sit through like 5 episodes of some mental tsundere being caught in various states of undress/indecency by the "hero" only to have the hero being beaten so black and blue that the enemy must come as somewhat of a relief. It's not the presence of sexuality in Anime that I hate it's the stupifyingly absurd way it's implemented.

If you use chicks sell cars as a comparison it's like they think their Car is SO BAD that they have to hire enough chicks so that you just can't see the car anymore and advertise that.

That got a bit rambly at times hope it made sense.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Insecure male lead: why is it that almost every goddamn show has a teenage male lead that is single and shy and stupid and basically chewing material for their tsundere girlfriend, or completely naïve to the point that even when a girl isn't a tsundere archetype, wants his dick, and doesn't put forth much effort to hide it, he is completely insecure and runs away as fast as he can instead of taking her up on that offer to 'feel' when he has the opportunity.

I realise that these are basically Japenese cartoons and that realism is generally optional, and I am not advocating for raunchy sex whenever the opportunity presents itself, but I have never met teenagers that reluctant in real life that weren't socially retarded. Maybe I'm not getting it: maybe all teenage male leads in anime are socially retarded, I dunno.

Stunted growth: what is it with these companies and opting for thirteen- or twenty-six-episode series, especially when it's adapted from a manga that has a shit-ton more material than that? It's absurd. If you're not into Claymore for the long haul, then let it be a manga and nothing else.

I would be okay with this if they were going to do the smart thing and follow the American live-action drama series model, where they air a season, air a finale for it, and take a break and let the associated merch and whatnot sell itself. That would actually be the best way to let the manga gain some comparative ground. Which leads me to my next complaint...

Long-running shōnen series and motherfucking filler: this is a complaint that almost everybody has, at least if they're fans of Naruto, Bleach, and, to a lesser extent, One Piece. I'm not going to complain about the fillers themselves. We all know that most of them are complete shit. What I'm pissed at is the fact that they choose to have that filler in the first place instead of doing the above: air a season, air a finale, and leave it at that. Build the anticipation for the next season. Put out more merch. Databooks. Things like that that allow someone to actually immerse themselves into the world and story you're trying to build and tell. Don't throw shit into our faces while your damned manga gets ahead. It turns off the viewer, is a waste of production funds, discourages at least part of your fanbase from buying your filler-saturated DVD/blu-ray media, and is just a marketing shithole in general. I know from experience: I stopped watching Naruto: Shippūden a long time ago because of this and I refuse to buy it until Studio Pierrot goes back to clean up their mess and give it the Kai treatment.

If you really, really, absolutely, positively, inescapably, need to pad out that time with some kind of video production, do it with a film. Which... leads to my next point...

Films produced based on, and alongside, long-running shōnen series: mediocre quality. I swear to god, it's a bit more apparent with each new Naruto film that comes out and the one Bleach film I saw a while ago didn't impress me either. They're basically giant [expletive] filler episodes with the most whimsical plotlines I've ever seen, completely lacking in depth, churned out once every year, and just as forgettable. Can they not make a film that is actually important or profound to the story, themes, concepts, and what else being espoused by the main TV series? If you're going to spend the millions of yen to do something like this, why not make it mean something other than, "Oh hey, here's what would happen if Naruto met his dad IRL?" Or, "Oh, look, we're making cameos of more of the regular cast in this film than the last one?"

I do like condensed re-imaginings though, that I will say.

I could swear I had something else in mind, but I'll leave it at that for now because I can't remember it anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9