• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, this is so cool! Totally unexpected, but great news. Very Happy
inuhime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I had been thinking vaguely about trying to pick up the Canadian France-language release. This should be better, especially if they can snag the French spoiler[dub]. as an option.

I thought about that, too, even though I don't know French. But now, I'll be able to see it in English.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It sounds weird to watch a Japanese cartoon with a French dub while reading English subtitles. I mean, I'd probably watch it that way since I've never listened to a French dub before, but it still sounds odd to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
It sounds weird to watch a Japanese cartoon with a French dub while reading English subtitles. I mean, I'd probably watch it that way since I've never listened to a French dub before, but it still sounds odd to do.

I think it would be a nifty extra to have on the disc that's for sure. It is a series based in France with famous French historical figures.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I really enjoyed Castle in the Sky in French w/English subtitles, and I'd think the same would be true for Rose of Versailles, considering the setting. So long as the acting is well-done and the language fits with the spirit/nature of the work, I think it can actually help to improve the enjoyability quite a bit.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
OMG, I never thought this would ever happen. Shocked

Thank you Right Stuf!!! I actually thought Discotek could probably pick this up, but Right Stuf would work for me. My question is will this anime have a English dub, if it doesn't no problem for me. But my goodness, this is quite a shock. Also my friend from Italy who watch this show (Rose of Versailles is known as Lady Oscar in Italy and other part of Europe) and she's going to be happy to hear anime fans is now going to watch a cool old school anime, now I wonder if Right Stuf (or Discotek) could maybe get these old school anime:

-Candy Candy
-GeGeGe no Kitaro
-Tiger Mask
-Hana no Ko Lunlun
-Attack No.1

I like more old school anime to come to US for our fans to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I would love a French dub on this if it's at all possible! No, I can't understand French at all but:
Quebec is in Canada where they speak French (yeah, I know this is for US primarily, but we all know Canadians order from TRSI and watch anime too)
The show takes place in France and unlike Emma (which just sounded bizarre to me in Japanese seeing how it was taking place in proper Victorian England, it was odd), this show actually has an existing dub in French, so that would be a sweet bonus
And I've seen other shows in French, like Wakfu (which anyone low on anime to watch should go watch Wakfu instead like right this second), so I am used to French dialogue with English subs, so it wouldn't be weird for me.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way, but I would think it would be a bad idea to have a dub for this series. Not because it's from the 1970's, or anything like that. But I feel it would be ruined if they dubbed it. I find Rose of Versailles to be one of those shows that needs no dub. It's perfect as is. If they do dub it, I fear we will get the anime regulars such as Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthal, Tiffany Grant, Michelle Ruff, etc. No offense to Ms Bailey, but I certainly wouldn't want to hear her voice coming out of Lady Oscar's mouth.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I just feel that Rose of Versailles, like roses themselves, is a delicate work of art, that is fine just the way it is.

I still don't understand what convinced Riyoko to release it internationally. I read somewhere a long time ago she was adamant and determined not to get it released stateside for unconfirmed reasons.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
this is another series to add to my I should really watch this, since I try to be a well educated fan category. I will have to congratulate rightstuf on pulling another show from licensing hell.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
An english dub is probably unrealistic and quite frankly, unnecessarily costly given its length.

But throwing in a french language track really would make this a perfect release (in addition to no unforeseen changes or screw ups to the program itself)

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I've never heard of this series, but it definitely looks interesting.

It's very clear Revolutionary Girl Utena borrowed a LOT from this title! Anime hyper

Almost every shoujo anime and manga owes some kind of debt to Rose of Versailles. Utena obviously was playing off Rose of Versailles cosmetically (and the Be Papas have openly admitted as such since its inception), but the two shows are quite different overall.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way, but I would think it would be a bad idea to have a dub for this series.

Only problem is, RightStuf has stopped dubbing their anime, sadly. Not sure if their dubs weren't making back the money they spent (which, they were non-union dubs) or they didn't think the tiles they picked up would bring any more people just because a dub was added. Like Junjo, I doubt more people would've picked that up if it got dubbed...not many guys buy BL titles and females that buy anime aren't nearly as large as a group, and the BL fan base isn't that large in the US.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
(Sees the trailer) Ah, so this is where dtm42's avatar comes from. Never expected that imagery from the Rose of Versailles anime.... then again, its shoujo and roses are probably among its motifs so...

Can't see myself blind-buing on such an older show, as much as it has inspired Utena. I hope to find the time to catch its stream, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen it, but I will definitely purchase it. It's a title I've read about for years on the message boards and have always wondered about.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

invalidname wrote:
Between this and Anohana, everything I've ever torrented under the "it'll never come out here" excuse is now coming out here.

Please go and torrent Heartcatch Precure. Wink

Yes please. Absolute best Pretty Cure. I also second the mentions of hope for the old Pierrot magical girl shows and Hana no ko Lunlun. Rose of Versailles is such an exciting license. I really hope we get more classic shoujo.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
(Sees the trailer) Ah, so this is where dtm42's avatar comes from.

You're too late, I'd already changed my Avatar when you made your post. Mwahahahaha.

Animerican14 wrote:
Never expected that imagery from the Rose of Versailles anime.... then again, its shoujo and roses are probably among its motifs so...

You never expected rose imagery from a show called Rose of Versailles? Its not just the imagery either, even the lyrics are all about roses.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11