• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Xillia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Well I beat the game last night. Took me 62 hours to do everything I could for Milla's Story... and I gotta say its a low tier Tales game, at least among 3D titles. I'm not sure I'd put it above any of them except for Legendia. The story is weak, the characters are weak, the game is really lacking in side quest content and other series staples (costumes, cooking, cameo battles, etc). There are also barely any skits (less than half of Vesperia and Graces, and like 1/5th of them are nothing but saying a couple lines about where to go for a sidequest). Most of the zones feel like soulless copy and pastes instead of unique areas. The battle system isn't as fun as the others, especially Graces F.

Overall, quite disappointed by the game. It certainly isn't another Vesperia or Graces F like I had hoped it would be.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
@RyanSaotome At least Xillia seems unique and is an action RPG, meaning it's not turn after turn after turn and is more like FFXII/Kingdom Hearts, meaning the gameplay is different and more refreshing.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
So because it's a action rpg it's automatically refreshing? And you're examples are FFXII, a game that's turn based and not action at all? and KH, a game series with terrible mashy action combat.

lol

At least cite Ys as good action jrpg games.

Especially since in Xillia's case it's not refreshing since it's basically been building on the same mechanics since say Symphonia. We're a couple of games in and it's kind of tired.

Valkyrie Profile, Resonance of Fate, Nocturne, FFXIII. Those are pretty refreshing and new battle systems and they are not quite action rpgs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
@Rahxephon As much as I love RPGS like Pokemon, the Mario RPGs, action RPGs like Crystal Chronicles just seem to be more fast paced and new. I know a lot of people didn't like the CC games as much as the PS1 games, but I actually loved those games.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91, you put apostrophes where they don't belong, and you use you're instead of your.

Aside from that, I'm with you on the same old fanboy response to reviews. I just wish they ever listened to reason- ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I suppose you did, but its hard to find any info about this guy beyond a few Sega interviews or any real info to back up this supposed expose.

I'm sure he'd say the same thing about you and your posts, mister anonymous internet resident Laughing Think I'll side with the guy with 20+ years experience in the industry, meself.

Quote:
Maybe because there hasn't been any Japanese games as good as those games? I can't even think of Japanese game this year that's as well done and medium pushing as The Last of us or Gone Home.

Can't comment on LOU since I don't like shooters but it looks fairly similar to the rest of 'em. Gone Home though does nothing new or medium pushing it just regresses the medium like Telltale's Jurassic Park and Walking Dead did by removing puzzles and gameplay which seems like the opposite of pushing the medium Laughing I dare ask what you consider medium pushing about those games?
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Can't comment on LOU since I don't like shooters but it looks fairly similar to the rest of 'em. Gone Home though does nothing new or medium pushing it just regresses the medium like Telltale's Jurassic Park and Walking Dead did by removing puzzles and gameplay which seems like the opposite of pushing the medium Laughing I dare ask what you consider medium pushing about those games?

LOU isn't a shooter. Guns=/=shooter. Is MGS also a shooter, by that stance? It uses guns. Guns are important. It's a survival horror, action adventure game. And even so, shooter=/=bad. Why are you fake gamers trying to undermine games from the West? If you were a true gamer, which you're not, you'd accept any games from anywhere, provided it's good. That's all the matters. Also, it's not like we haven't had horrific Japanese games. Stop being a hater and play good games. That is all.
Mugley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Arg, why is it whenever I see the term 'true gamer' an image of a person who chugs Mountain Dew and feasts on Doritos as he plays Halo comes to mind? I hate that term 'true X'.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:
Arg, why is it whenever I see the term 'true gamer' an image of a person who chugs Mountain Dew and feasts on Doritos as he plays Halo comes to mind?

Quote:
True gamer defined by me.

A true gamer is one, who plays games for the essentials, such as gameplay, controls, level design and challenge. They do not care where the game was developed, what genre it is or if the story, voice acting, graphics or music is bad, as long as the game itself is good. A true gamer considers games bad if the game is buggy, glitchy, has repetitive, stale gameplay, bad controls and bad level design, not where the game comes from. That is a true gamer and this definition is 100% the truth.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm sure he'd say the same thing about you and your posts, mister anonymous internet resident Laughing Think I'll side with the guy with 20+ years experience in the industry, meself.
Fair enough, but I mean I'm not actually passing on any information are presenting myself as an expert.

I'm asking for experts/proof on the matter, not articles that sound like they are from a bitter intern.

So I don't think he would say the same of me, he would give me some more info because thats what I'm asking for.

Quote:
Can't comment on LOU since I don't like shooters but it looks fairly similar to the rest of 'em.
I mean you're welcome to that opinion, but it just seems so disingenuous. Because I'm not sure how it looks like other shooters. I mean watching gameplay would show that it's not at all run and gun and one enemy is in itself a big deal. And watching it you may see how it executes it's narrative extremely well as an actual game and not just through it's excellent cutscenes.

Quote:
Gone Home though does nothing new or medium pushing it just regresses the medium like Telltale's Jurassic Park and Walking Dead did by removing puzzles and gameplay which seems like the opposite of pushing the medium
Yep so many games deal with small family issues and lesbianism in a mature way. Isn't this the industry where you and others claim is all just shooters and what not and how US games need actual variety and different subject matter. So now a game does that and apparently thats bad why?

Quote:
Laughing I dare ask what you consider medium pushing about those games?
I consider Gone Home medium pushing because it's a rather subtle game about small family issues. In an industry of male power fantasies, it's a good game that shows games can do other things and get things across all while still being gamey.

I consider The Last Of Us meduem pushing because it's basically one of the best writer, directed(not just cutscenes either), and acted this gen. Featuring probably one of the most mature and nuanced protagonist as well. In an industry so juvenile with it's violence, The Last of Us is anything but.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
How 'bout the definition of a true gamer should be left undefined and you just play your video games, instead of judging and labeling everyone, when most here would dislike being labeled and judged?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
A true gamer is one, who plays games for the essentials, such as gameplay, controls, level design and challenge. They do not care where the game was developed, what genre it is or if the story, voice acting, graphics or music is bad, as long as the game itself is good. A true gamer considers games bad if the game is buggy, glitchy, has repetitive, stale gameplay, bad controls and bad level design, not where the game comes from. That is a true gamer and this definition is 100% the truth.

Do you know what preferences and tastes are? If someone hates shooters, they hate shooters. They don't have to like a genre if they don't want to. Me I'd never play an RPG if the story was bad so ignoring the story in an RPG makes no sense.. guess I'm not a true gamer then.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Mugley wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

Do you know what preferences and tastes are? If someone hates shooters, they hate shooters. They don't have to like a genre if they don't want to. Me I'd never play an RPG if the story was bad so ignoring the story in an RPG makes no sense.. guess I'm not a true gamer then.

No you're not, but admitting it is better than lying and trying to act otherwise, so you get my respect.
Jave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
LOU isn't a shooter. Guns=/=shooter. Is MGS also a shooter, by that stance? It uses guns. Guns are important. It's a survival horror, action adventure game. And even so, shooter=/=bad. Why are you fake gamers trying to undermine games from the West? If you were a true gamer, which you're not, you'd accept any games from anywhere, provided it's good. That's all the matters. Also, it's not like we haven't had horrific Japanese games. Stop being a hater and play good games. That is all.

MGS is a stealth genre game you're actually punished for killing people in some games Laughing At least the earlier ones. LOU is very cover-based shooting like Uncharted which I think the same devs did those games as well.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yep so many games deal with small family issues and lesbianism in a mature way. Isn't this the industry where you and others claim is all just shooters and what not and how US games need actual variety and different subject matter. So now a game does that and apparently thats bad why?

I really hope it's praise wasn't just because it had a lesbian in it because that seems really superficial. That seems like it'd set the medium back if people value how many "progressive" statements a game has rather than how good it is. Have you ever played Maniac Mansion? It's a much better game about going around a mansion, with lots of fun characters and puzzles and writing. Smile And it came out 26 years ago to boot.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
MGS is a stealth genre game you're actually punished for killing people in some games Laughing At least the earlier ones. LOU is very cover-based shooting like Uncharted which I think the same devs did those games as well.

Uncharted is a third person shooter, as well as an action adventure. LOU is an Action-adventure, survival horror, that just happens to have guns. Also, the focus isn't on shooting, therefore it's not a shooter. Also, MGS also has a shit ton of guns, as well as first/third person perspectives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9