• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
HolyR wrote:
I love how Vanilla Ice's stand is just Cream. To hell with tarot cards or egyptian gods or whatever, we ran out of those.

Cream (as in the group behind the song "Sunshine of Your Love") is the beginning of where the music references will be going to for the most part after Stardust Crusaders ends. It's also a slightly showcase for how silly Araki can be with naming, because of the whole "Vanilla Ice Cream" play on words.

As for the episode, the stuff with Ice was easily some of the most chilling JoJo has ever been in a long time. Even knowing exactly what happens in the story, as I've already seen the 93 OVA series & read the manga up through this part, the episode executed everything so perfectly that I still felt the sheer terror behind it. There's good reason why Vanilla/Cool Ice has remained one of the most memorable stand users in JoJo history, not to mention one of the most dangerous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cream is so delicious that he fights by eating himself (and his stand user!) His belly is a dark void, a dimension of nothingness, and anything it touches is erased from existence forever.

If the latter is true, then Ice isn't coming back, and neither is Cream. Since we've heard from them both since Cream ate them, apparently it's not true.

Which leads me to ask, how do you know Avdol isn't coming back, unless you've read ahead and just spoiled that for us? I'm ok with them killing him off again, and sudden death is always good for a jolt. But the setup hasn't told me it's permanent this time either, and they conveniently sent his arms to the other dimension too, which suggests we haven't heard the last of him (though that could be a different kind of red herring).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Cream is so delicious that he fights by eating himself (and his stand user!) His belly is a dark void, a dimension of nothingness, and anything it touches is erased from existence forever.

If the latter is true, then Ice isn't coming back, and neither is Cream. Since we've heard from them both since Cream ate them, apparently it's not true.

Which leads me to ask, how do you know Avdol isn't coming back, unless you've read ahead and just spoiled that for us? I'm ok with them killing him off again, and sudden death is always good for a jolt. But the setup hasn't told me it's permanent this time either, and they conveniently sent his arms to the other dimension too, which suggests we haven't heard the last of him (though that could be a different kind of red herring).

Cream himself is the exception to the whole dimension thing. It works kind of like Gluttony in FMA, I guess. Vanilla Ice is inside Cream, not inside Cream's dimension.

As for the Avdol thing, I considered writing it from the perspective of not knowing whether he'll be coming back or not, but since I do know, and the episode intends for you to know as well, (just doesn't convey it very well,) I figured it'd be better to write it from that angle. It's not a "well maybe" fakeout, it's just a not-very-gently-handled horrible death. Might as well go ahead and break your heart early on that one, there's no point in trying to pretend that it's nebulous when that's not the episode's intent. Then I would just have to contradict myself next week for no reason. The "he's dead" affirmation you get from Vanilla Ice in this episode really is the end of the Avdol discussion in Stardust Crusaders.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
Though the real fear of Vanilla Ice comes from his refusal to wear pants.

I think Dio might have just taken his pants

Also Vanilla Ice is the most powerful antagonist we've seen since Cars Wham and ACDC (who can erase things with a single touch and is immortal like them). One thing that this arc has been missing has been the immediately overwhelming and intimidating foes of the 1st series so it's nice to see Araki bring that feeling back.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so Avdol is really dead... well that is kind of underwhelming Confused , bringing him back so he just dies suddenly and without him having that much of a role since he came back (his personality switch was forgotten very soon, and aside of Mariah's fight [while hilarious] he didn't majorly participate in anything else to shine a little. Maybe Araki wasn't very fond of him? The same is going to happen with Kakyoin since he was so absent and in his return he fucked it up? D: ), and it's weird he came back because of popularity, I found him the least appealing of the main characters in personality and power and I don't think the audience would be that attached to him so quickly, and it's not like other characters didn't die in previous parts of Jojo (part 1: spoiler[Zeppeli], part 2: spoiler[Caesar]).

Bottom line, I'm not going to miss him too much. But I hope the rest survives though D:
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
I always liked Abdul, but I don`t mind him being used to show exactly how strong Vanilla Ice is. The Stardust group doesn`t really suffer as much loss as most of the other JoJo generations. And nearly all of it is with Vanilla Ice.

With 2 and a half Terence episodes I want them to have extended Petshop. Petshop is one of the best stands and like Oingo boingo was sorely missing from the OVAs. Yeah I was one of many who were super excited that Oingo Boingo finally got an anime appearance. Loved those special credits scenes.

And yes, the stand idea works much better without tying it to something. After this season is over stands stop having any semblance of rules (since outside of naming conventions the stands in Stardust don`t really hold to their namesake anyway).
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I always liked Abdul, but I don`t mind him being used to show exactly how strong Vanilla Ice is. The Stardust group doesn`t really suffer as much loss as most of the other JoJo generations. And nearly all of it is with Vanilla Ice.

With 2 and a half Terence episodes I want them to have extended Petshop. Petshop is one of the best stands and like Oingo boingo was sorely missing from the OVAs. Yeah I was one of many who were super excited that Oingo Boingo finally got an anime appearance. Loved those special credits scenes.

And yes, the stand idea works much better without tying it to something. After this season is over stands stop having any semblance of rules (since outside of naming conventions the stands in Stardust don`t really hold to their namesake anyway).

I thought Petshop got more than enough screentime, and was very well done in this anime. When almost all the enemies got 2 episodes this season, why would Petshop get even more when he doesn't even have any lines?

As for the first encounter with Vanilla Ice and Cream, it was probably one of the most intense episodes yet. The music was great, voice-acting was great and the animation superb, especially on Cream when he used his ability.

Last edited by Ulinox on Sun May 17, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
The next week preview almost avoided spoiling things. Just a dropped line. Don`t listen for it if you don`t know the story already. Poor Iggy... they really spent a lot of time on beating him up.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Dear God that was brutal, Vanilla Ice is both a bad singer and cruel to animals.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Can I put a legion of traumatized Yotsuba faces for this episode? That was intense geez.

And despite all that, the reason I'm going to hell is that when Vanilla Ice was abusing so much of poor Iggy the only thing I could think of is that he was Araki's avatar: "Take that, you damn dog! Worthless piece of shit, how dare you believe you have something as pride. Learn your lesson! Suffer! Die! DIEEEEE!!".

Quote:
Dear God that was brutal, Vanilla Ice is both a bad singer and cruel to animals.

In moments like these I wonder what if someone is googling the real-life person and read these messages out of context Laughing
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
This episode was definetely among the best this season and it hypes me so much the upcoming ones will be even better (perhaps the next one not that good but whatevs). Even though I really do not like Polnareff spoiler[(so you can guess how much pisses me off the resolution of this part)], in this he is fairly decent, entertaining at least and it really makes me laugh the "Handsome Polnareff" options.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Who-hoo A plus!! For an episode mainly featuring Polnareff and Iggy. I'm glad the animation quality is still top-notch. It was so great to see Polnareff with Iggy on his shoulder "watching his back". IMO the last one should definitely have gotten the same grade.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
For such a "eh" review you still gave it a B+, weird. But I kind of agree with the review, for such a tense episode last time this was kind of weak and bland, even the end of the fight against Vanilla Ice, Iggy's death (I knew beforehand Polnareff would survive, but I was expecting more dramatic shock like the previous eps) and mourning fell flat. Suzy Q's part was also pretty weak (maybe if they cut the humorous scenes to 1/4 or so...) and while Jotaro's line against the comic villain was great, it feels anticlimatic after all this, I think Egypt arc has had enough intentionally humorous silliness already. Same with Polnareff and Dio's encounter, it didn't feel like it has such a presence and impact.

I know this is a bridge episode, but they don't have to be bland, especially in Jojo's case. Welp, I hope now that the final battle's going to begin things pick up again.

Edit: The episode's image from the cover is cool, but it's kind of spoiler-ish, isn't it? However, seeing how this is Jojo and we don't mind that much the spoiler in this episode because of the weak impact it had I don't even know whether to take it away or not to be honest.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ep20:

well, they did not split the part ebcause they wanted to, otherwise the review is spot on, it might be worth mentioning that the meeting happens after the credits, before someone asks about that thing of polnareff meeting dio. also weird thing on subs ignoring nukesaku.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The end to that episode gave me chills.

GET HYPE, we're here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11