• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Anime Strike is also a joke. They are constantly delaying the shows. At least companies site CR have the decency to put a note saying there will be a delay. However, Amazon having much bigger pockets should mean we get the episode at least 12 hours after the Japanese airdate.

I keep seeing people talking about this, but I haven't noticed any delay in Love and Lies or Made in Abyss this season - maybe I'm just not fully aware of when the episodes "should" be up? I just know Made in Abyss is Fridays, and it's always up by the middle of the day on Friday.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Netflix's decision is unfortunate for those used to the weekly viewing model of simulcasts and 00s digital fansubs. But in the end, no one's forcing anyone to participate in communities where everyone's expected to watch everything within a half hour of the JP broadcast (or first translated release) or face massive spoilers. Do what you gotta do, I suppose.

Though I wonder if the fansub translator community, decimated as it is by aging, attrition, and transitioning to legal work for CR and such, can even keep up with more than a handful of shows per season. Even many currently-active groups can't even translate OP/ED songs (AKA the main thing that needs fan translations for airing anime, since simulcasts don't/can't TL them) until the official lyrics are released. Which tells me that the skill levels aren't what they used to be.

tasteycookie wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the hardcore fans (who are the ones who really care to watch shows week to week, and generally watch 25-30 shows a season) are the ones who pay the bills. Almost every niche industry that way (look at ANY f2p mmo or mobile app.) The tiny hardcore minority pays for the vast majority of profits. Your casual fan who watches 3-5 anime a year, will maybe buy 1-2 BD's if you're lucky. The hardcore fan will spend tens of thousands of dollars every year buying BD's, figures, merchandise and that's what keeps the industry going. As a paying fan, we can voice our displeasure in the way Netflix does business to our niche, that is our right.
Something doesn't add up here. I find it hard to believe that the hardcore, "I only watch dozens of new anime every season, no time for backlogs" are buying Blu-Rays just to collect dust on shelves. If they don't have time to go back to older titles, they don't have time to rewatch series they buy, either. And given that bootleg streaming sites enjoy much higher levels of traffic, page rankings, and search result primacy (and how much people complain about subscribing to multiple sites), it's likely that most of those "dedicated" weekly-only viewers are watching on bootleg streaming sites to begin with.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm starting to really feel nostalgic for the time when companies would decide whether to license a show or not based upon its entire run. Of course, the previous bust was based on part when companies were licensing it anyway just because it was the cool new anime thing.
When was that, exactly? Even back in the early 2000s, North American companies were licensing series midway through the run, after just a few eps had aired, or before the JP broadcasts even began. Given the behind-the-scenes lead time of those negotiations, even licenses that were announced shortly after the shows finished airing in Japan ended were likely set up before the broadcasts.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Though I wonder if the fansub translator community, decimated as it is by aging, attrition, and transitioning to legal work for CR and such, can even keep up with more than a handful of shows per season.

Can't speak to the skills, quality or means, but practically everything coming out each season will have fansubs for it within a week or usually earlier.

Zalis116 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the hardcore, "I only watch dozens of new anime every season, no time for backlogs" are buying Blu-Rays just to collect dust on shelves. If they don't have time to go back to older titles, they don't have time to rewatch series they buy, either. And given that bootleg streaming sites enjoy much higher levels of traffic, page rankings, and search result primacy (and how much people complain about subscribing to multiple sites), it's likely that most of those "dedicated" weekly-only viewers are watching on bootleg streaming sites to begin with.

I am not buying Blu-Rays to intentionally collect dust on my shelves, but that is how it works out it seems. Been picking up those Ranma 1/2 Blu-Rays, but only have watched a couple episodes from Volume 1. There is no way I could literally watch dozens of new season anime during the current season. So I quickly pick what I think is going to be good, which is usually 2 to 3 anime series, and watch them regularly.

Kinda of curious what is more popular for non-mainstream fansubbed anime, streaming or downloads.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Why would I do that when I don't have to? Who in their right mind willingly chooses the worst outcome for themselves? Thta's pretty much against human nature at this point.

Why? Because for starters it is what is legal. I know that concept means little to many people now a days but that doesn't change the truth of it. One method, waiting, is legal, while another, pirating it, is not. You ca debate the morality all day and night but those are facts. That's like saying why wait and save up for the Audi when I can just go boost it right now. I really find it a bit ridiculous though that you consider waiting the "worst possible outcome" in this scenario. Yea, having to wait a few months sure is the worst possible outcome a person could have. You've made your opinions on pirating known many times in other discussions so I'm not going to beat my head against a wall and continue this discussion. With you or anyone else for that matter. I've made my points so I'm walking away from any further pointless discussion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This post is as a moderator. Both of you himesaminako and Atoman need to cool it and stop the bickering. You're both being rude. Atoman you did partake in strawman arguments as you responded to a user with a completely different topic and argument then what they were commenting on. You then continuously refused to understand himesaminako's points and just kept responding with an increasingly rude and condescending attitude towards him. Saying you're not at his "level" is also meant as a direct insult and not allowed here.

As for you himesaminako, inferring a user is dense, or saying they lack reading comprehension is not allowed either. If a user simply refuses to accept your points or what you are saying then just stop and walk away. If they are acting rude themselves just report them and don't continue the argument and make matters worse.

You 2 need to just stop and agree to disagree at this point and walk away.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Besides waiting a few more months for the possibility of a dub happening, what reason would there be to have set-up as binge-watching?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8