• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Goddamn, once again I freaking love this show!
The ep review nailed it all along with the high score, damn I'm really gonna miss this every week (actually twice a week since I'm also watching the spectacular dub), but I also love these characters so like James said, in a way I'm also ready to see them earn their well-deserved happy ending. Smile

spoiler[I really hope Sophie stays with them.]

You're both right since Luke's great and tries so much and given their relation I too would enjoy it and feel real good if he could somehow still manage to get in something meaningful against Knight in the finale. I expect the rematch of him against Sword is going to be fantastic though as well. The animation and music was so on point, and that black and white style part was super cool, along with Gina's great fight and Sophie's stuff.

The dub for this show is absolute gold too, one of my new favorites. Totally worth watching (and/or re-watching) with it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm more disappointed than I thought I'd be about Luke not getting to dispatch his no-good father. I see why they did it that way, and I can't think of another way to have put the characters where they needed to be to effect the aftermath, but that doesn't make it sit any more favorably with me.

And having just come off of the ReLIFE OVAs, the spoiler[erased memory] bit probably bothered me even more than it normally would have. So I was pleased that they at least worked that out.

Heh, they showed Luke with his Silver Knight sword invoking his armor, but it still seems like he should be waving a rifle in the air for that. Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Could the fight between Sword and Knight have been even more underwhelming? I would feel less salty if Luke had to step back for some spectacular battle, but for that?! Mad
Seeing Luke become a Makai Knight did make up for it a bit and Meifang's crush on him is the cutest thing, i definitely ship them!

I'm a bit torn when it comes to Sophie because she would have been happy enough in her old life if the memory erasing had worked properly? I could have pictured her take sister's place and run that orphanage sooner or later. But then again, seeing her reunited with the gang was also pretty satisfying...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
That was great. Found the last ep/ending extremely satisfying. I hope, like the other two series, we get a movie sequel for this maybe taking place after Sophie's completed some training.

Seems pretty likely with Luke's advancement, Sophie wanting to join them and become a Makai Alchemist like Gina, and especially Bishop still being out there.

The cast of characters made this show an absolute blast to watch every week and I hope we do get to see them in one more adventure down the road.

Merida wrote:
Could the fight between Sword and Knight have been even more underwhelming? I would feel less salty if Luke had to step back for some spectacular battle, but for that?! Mad
Seeing Luke become a Makai Knight did make up for it a bit and Meifang's crush on him is the cutest thing, i definitely ship them!

I'm a bit torn when it comes to Sophie because she would have been happy enough in her old life if the memory erasing had worked properly? I could have pictured her take sister's place and run that orphanage sooner or later. But then again, seeing her reunited with the gang was also pretty satisfying...

It's true it would have been better had Sword had gotten some personal beef with the guy at some point, but it was still a cool fight that I mostly enjoyed, but as such I agree it wasn't as involving as the action in ep 22-23. Also, yeah seeing Luke become a Makai Knight was great.

I'm so damned happy the memory erase didn't work since it was something I was worried about as we got closer to the finale. I actually really liked that kind of her will and her will to remember everything overpowered the spell. Like you said, seeing her reuniting with the gang felt so good and it felt particularly satisfying that that is what she truly wanted rather than to forget and live a "happy life". Like she said, she wants to do for others what Sword, Gina, and Luke did for her when she needed them which to me felt really good and extremely in character for Sophie.

In fact at first I was a little bothered by them using the memory rain on her in the first place, since I also don't really care for when that happens at the end of a story like James, even if there were plenty of painful memories in there too along with the rest for it to make sense, but after the episode was over and once it gradually became clear that it was pulling the double duty of everyone giving her one last chance for that life that she ultimately decides she doesn't want, and also serves toward dramatic effect in order to have that great scene where her memories start coming back, and she runs for the diner and sees Gina, did make it worth it.

I know I wouldn't have been as satisfied in the end if she'd forgotten since I love her with the group, but having seen the episode I also love that they had that moment where Gina asks if she's sure and Sophie makes it clear that it's her choice that she wants to remember everything. And then the best is when she asks Gina to teach her how to become a Makai Alchemist too, which is something I'd been hoping for since way earlier in the series which made it extra satisfying as something to end on. Very Happy

Also yeah, Meifang's crush on Luke is too damned cute lol, it was great they included it again at the end, definitely a great ship. Laughing

As was Sword coming out of the bathroom and the freeze-frame switching between him and Sophie to end it. Like the review said, that shot of Sword and his dorky smile seeing her fit his character perfectly.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting to see if they stuck the landing for this series, and they did. At this point, I have to rank Vanishing Line as my favorite of the animated Garo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8