• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Promised Neverland

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rrrrr!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Everything was perfect until the "keep out" tape. It was so distracting that I stopped paying attention to the scene... Anime hyper
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Was it my fancy, or did Isabella imply to become a Mama, you had to have a child? I might have misheard, but it would be a particularly cruel cherry on top of the whole situation. Triggering a maternal instinct in them to keep them in line, whilst taking away their child. It did seem to be be case with Krone, some of her behaviour looked she hadn't gotten over such an event.

The last scene was pure joy. It's not usually the audience gets to be on the same side of such an evil grin.

Well, its a farm after all. So why not have the Mamas, the smartest and strongest of all, have a child? To gain yet another High Quality Brain.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Jesus. Between "that" recent-ish Mob Psycho episode and this latest episode of The Promised Neverland, I don't think I have many anime emotions left -- sometimes you just feel so much the 9999 rolls over to 0. I suppose I should be thankful Made in Abyss isn't also airing this season..
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Welp, colour me glad that I haven't dropped the show after all! I'm not sure what the exact moment was when my mindset switched from "Oh, you're gonna self-immolate, Ray? Okay, sure, makes sense, go ahead then. Too bad for you, Emma lol" to "Holy crap, what are those kids doing!?", but the show certainly managed to win me back somehow.

Quote:
But this isn't quite the end of the season, so not everything can go completely right. spoiler[Someone is missing. Little smiling Phil is still with Isabella, and Isabella knows what we've all learned by now: Emma's not about to leave until she gets her brother back. Mama might be backed into a corner, but it isn't checkmate yet, and there's enough time left in the game for her to make one final gambit.]
I am on record as saying that the bait-and-switch nature of the cliffhangers in this show has ruined my ability to enjoy the twists and all, but still, isn't that a bit of a spoiler for those of us still in the dark about Phil's true nature? Yeah, the show's attempts to build mystique around him have been almost comically blatant, but they are a legitimate source of speculation, so spelling out so clearly what his appearance at the end of the episode is building up to is a bit of a damper, no?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I am on record as saying that the bait-and-switch nature of the cliffhangers in this show has ruined my ability to enjoy the twists and all, but still, isn't that a bit of a spoiler for those of us still in the dark about Phil's true nature?

I read that paragraph as more "speculation" than "spoiler".
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I read that paragraph as more "speculation" than "spoiler".
Even if it was meant to read that way, it's not really "speculation" when it's coming from someone who's actually read the manga.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The part saying that spoiler["Isabella knows what we've all learned by now: Emma's not about to leave until she gets her brother back"] did seem like a bit of a spoiler. I didn't know that Isabella knew that; she could have guessed or eavesdropped or got that info from Ray, but as far as I remember it was never brought up. Emma certainly didn't tell her directly.

In any case, since I have not read the manga, I'll go ahead and speculate wildly that Li'l Phil actually is a mole, as the memes predicted. Possibly also a robot.

I felt like it was pretty obvious that Ray wasn't actually going to burn himself to death--for all its flirting with horror, this just isn't that kind of story, the main heroes are not going to die ignoble violent deaths (and, incidentally, there's no way in hell Norman is really gone for good). The rest of the twist, though, where it turns out Emma was actually planning an entire escape plan this whole time, wasn't so predictable, and eliminated some of my gripes about this show (many of which boiled down to "why does Emma hardly ever do anything"). Finally, an episode that wasn't just laborious suspense-building for tragedies that clearly can't happen due to storytelling principles.

...I still don't get what they did about the babies, though. Didn't see anyone carrying them and, as we already established, Emma wouldn't have been willing to leave them behind.
bleakessence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
haven't read the manga and i don't plan to until the season ends, so pardon the ignorance of my question: did nobody else catch Isabella's horror at discovering the little kid clutching her skirt?

she was going full wacko with her monologue, going overboard with the theatrics, but she just freezes and looks at the kid not with glee but with absolute fear as if saying "wtf are you still doing here?"

her expression reminded me of that one scene where Norman asked her if she's happy. she's obviously not happy with her situation, but like what was stated in one previous review: she's given up and just accepted her role as a mom.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:57 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Jesus. Between "that" recent-ish Mob Psycho episode and this latest episode of The Promised Neverland, I don't think I have many anime emotions left

Guess you're not watching GeGeGe no Kitarou, or you'd be entirely drained.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Jesus. Between "that" recent-ish Mob Psycho episode and this latest episode of The Promised Neverland, I don't think I have many anime emotions left

Guess you're not watching GeGeGe no Kitarou, or you'd be entirely drained.

Shocked I was keeping up with it for a while, but haven't watched it in a couple of months. Was waiting for it to get out of its episodic rhythm and back into a major arc.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
I almost had a damn heart attack when I thought this was the finale, that TPN would end at 11 episodes and leave that cliffhanger until season 2.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The part saying that spoiler["Isabella knows what we've all learned by now: Emma's not about to leave until she gets her brother back"] did seem like a bit of a spoiler. I didn't know that Isabella knew that; she could have guessed or eavesdropped or got that info from Ray, but as far as I remember it was never brought up. Emma certainly didn't tell her directly.

It's the logical conclusion from all we know about Emma's character. And Isabella knows her pretty well...

That being said, it doesn't make sense that they just "forgot" about Phil. Either he's really in cohorts with Isabella or he stayed behind on purpose. And the more i think about it, the more i tend to lean towards the latter.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Guys ... its not just Phil. There are more young kids besides Phil and also the Babies. You dont have to take notes on each Episode, but they showed the whole group of Kids quite a lot to know, that there ARE a lot of children here.

They are the bait left behind for Isabella to not follow them. Emma knew Isabella would follow her (she even said so to Ray) if she wouldnt care about the fire. So leaving behind the youngest and babies is the best, but probably broke her heart.
But dont ask me where the babies are.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
^ That's the least believable theory I've heard from this show so far.

Emma, leaving behind people (BABIES even) purposefully so she can escape? I'd be less surprised if Norman was actually dead
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
I don't think she's leaving them behind in order to make it easier to escape, but remember when Ray told her that it would be best for the babies, too? I believe that made her reconsider. I'm very sure that she plans to come back for them before their time is up, though ... and Phil, being optimistic to a fault but also very clever, was probably tasked with educating and preparing them for the escape.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10