• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Many people went Legit streaming to help the artists who actually make what we love and turns out they just go on to make their own shows and make even more content all while artist pay remains abysmal.

Support the industry when and where you can, but legit streaming turning a profit only resulted in more shows instead of the same number of shows with higher pay.

That's capitalism for you!
Many hope that part of their subscription will "trickle down" to the animators, directors, sound engineers and etc. One could argue that this happens in the form of more series meaning more contracts for the studios, which means more money for workers... but the saturation point was reached years ago, it only has turned into overworking and "somehow" these overworked people aren't getting paid any extra for it.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Things like Detective Conan not being available ANYWHERE in full, legally, is why people pirate, if you ask me. Or even the Interspecies Reviewers situation from a few months back.

I just want the anime industry here to do a better job of making a vast majority of these titles more available.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
MushroomMan674 wrote:
Things like Detective Conan not being available ANYWHERE in full, legally, is why people pirate, if you ask me. Or even the Interspecies Reviewers situation from a few months back.

I just want the anime industry here to do a better job of making a vast majority of these titles more available.

The problem with legal sources is that they go by demand and potential profit, and if there's not enough of both of those, you won't get it. (Or sometimes they just have a tantrum over sex-positive ecchi. Hopefully that was a one-off case.) I find the idea that I'm just not supposed to see something if you're not offering it to me completely ridiculous in 2020, where the entire world is at our fingertips.

I've seen how dedicated Detective Conan fans have been over the years trying to get their show picked up legally, but the sheer length of it and the associated cost is what's keeping Crunchyroll and Funimation from offering its full back catalog. (One Piece is the exception, not the rule.)

Of course, if Detective Conan would've had a more appropriate start in the US, it could've had more of a chance...but that's a topic for another thread I've probably got into here before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
^ Not to mention series like Keroro Gunso, a long running series in the 2000s whose comedy is rife with Japanese cultural references and was too much for US dub companies to handle.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I've seen how dedicated Detective Conan fans have been over the years trying to get their show picked up legally, but the sheer length of it and the associated cost is what's keeping Crunchyroll and Funimation from offering its full back catalog. (One Piece is the exception, not the rule.)

I only made my point because it's so frustrating to see how Conan is incomplete on two streaming platforms (Netflix and CR) while One Piece, a series with almost as many eps as Conan, is in full.

And don't get me wrong, I love OP, and I absolutely agree with the point you made, but still. It's why I feel we get piracy in the first place. Incompleteness.
Why even sit on just partially something?
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Well, personally, I don't like streaming in general so I never used KA. However, this is a sad day indeed. Even sadder that so many people are taking advantage of this incident to fear monger and guilt trip.

Regardless, growing up in the age of physical media, I can't fathom not owning something you pay money for. For me, the ultimate in anime services would be a system whereby you can pay money for direct downloads. 100% DLC-free, high-quality files that you can save to your desktop and do whatever you want with them. Cast them to your TV, transfer them to your portable media player, convert them, etc... However, I don't think that will ever be possible given how protective all the companies are regarding usage rights.

Physical is the only way to buy things for me as well. Too many streaming services have started deciding to become gatekeepers and censoring and dropping shows and movies. Netflix can censor their Back to the Future movies as much as they want, they can never take away my DVD copies.

MushroomMan674 wrote:
I only made my point because it's so frustrating to see how Conan is incomplete on two streaming platforms (Netflix and CR) while One Piece, a series with almost as many eps as Conan, is in full.

And don't get me wrong, I love OP, and I absolutely agree with the point you made, but still. It's why I feel we get piracy in the first place. Incompleteness.

To be fair One Piece is still missing quite a few movies/OVAs. It's not all available in America.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
To be fair One Piece is still missing quite a few movies/OVAs. It's not all available in America.

Most of those movies had releases in multi-film collections in the UK but they're sub-only & DVD-only (I believe in PAL too).

But yeah, it is pretty annoying FUNi never went back to getting those nor the first few TV specials, especially when there's a popular one in that bunch with the Baron Omatsuri film.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
I always stick to torrent sites, I haven't used an illegal streaming site in years outside of maybe as a means to check something out when no/few clips are available on YouTube. As for why I torrent, it's either because the title is not available to stream or buy on home release. And there are an exceedingly huge amount of pre-2010s Anime like that, and even stuff from the 10s is not always available.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Actar wrote:
Well, personally, I don't like streaming in general so I never used KA. However, this is a sad day indeed. Even sadder that so many people are taking advantage of this incident to fear monger and guilt trip.

Regardless, growing up in the age of physical media, I can't fathom not owning something you pay money for. For me, the ultimate in anime services would be a system whereby you can pay money for direct downloads. 100% DLC-free, high-quality files that you can save to your desktop and do whatever you want with them. Cast them to your TV, transfer them to your portable media player, convert them, etc... However, I don't think that will ever be possible given how protective all the companies are regarding usage rights.

Physical is the only way to buy things for me as well. Too many streaming services have started deciding to become gatekeepers and censoring and dropping shows and movies. Netflix can censor their Back to the Future movies as much as they want, they can never take away my DVD copies.

I grew up in that age too, and like Actar wrote I can't imagine paying money for something but not owning a permanent copy of it. I think streaming services are fine if you treat them like TV and use them for casual viewing, but if you like the show and you want to watch it again in the future then IMHO there is still nothing better than buying the physical media. That will never disappear unless you choose to be rid of it. No worries about censorship, rights expiring, or it suddenly disappearing from your account or the streaming service's catalog because of some legal spat between the agencies involved.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I just learned a few days ago that Viz has free streams of most of their most popular titles, in both Japanese and English, available directly through their site.

VIZ has been remarkably inconsistent about streaming over the years. As I recall they were using Hulu as their distributor for a while, so like you, I'm surprised they've started streaming their own shows again. Still it's a pretty limited bunch: https://www.viz.com/watch/streaming/watch

It appears that it's still impossible to stream Cross Game legally, at least in the US.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
If I read manga illegally it's only to check it out, if I like it I stop reading and put it on my list of tankoubon to buy. With anime I only watch illegally if it's not avaiable in Sweden, so mostly Funimation and Amazon exclusives. If it's a show in netflix jail I watch it illegally while it's airing and then when it's out I just turn it on again.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Actar wrote:

MushroomMan674 wrote:

Likewsie, I never understood why Kodansha won't give Funi the streaming, dubbing, and home video rights to Funi for the "Fairy Tail OVA". BTW, I don't follow OP but it is weird that such a popular franchise for Funi is missing those movies/OVAs for official releases.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I just learned a few days ago that Viz has free streams of most of their most popular titles, in both Japanese and English, available directly through their site.

VIZ has been remarkably inconsistent about streaming over the years. As I recall they were using Hulu as their distributor for a while, so like you, I'm surprised they've started streaming their own shows again. Still it's a pretty limited bunch: https://www.viz.com/watch/streaming/watch

This had a lot to do with Hulu since the main site turned into a pay site in 2016 but offered a free alternative through Yahoo View which had since shut down last year.

As for Viz streaming now, the video player is still the same as Hulu so that deal is still on, it is weird though that they don't promote the free streaming on their site (unless I missed it at one point).
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I do not blame anyone who pirates. There's this weird condescending tone among English speaking streaming services, translators, voice actors, and other industry people whenever they get called out for questionable business decisions, marketing, or translations choices. As if the complainers should be grateful they were given the privilege to be talked down to by them and to give them their money. It's so weird they go on to get upset when many people decide to simply pirate and circumvent them entirely. They want their cake and to eat it too.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Is it really condescending. At the end of the day, whether you agree or not with the finished product, it is better to have something, rather than nothing. You don't have to buy what you don't like, but at least those who still wanted something, they have the choice.

And if what you say is true, perhaps it is because the argument is that the pirated stuff is better, than the stuff they worked on and sweated for. I would think that is a forgivable transgression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9