• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caoboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Simply the Main character from School Days (forgot his name =.=), it is the one anime that i have watched that made me put it down for being so pissed off at that character and even the ending, as much as he got mutilated.. i still believe he deserved worse. Seriously that guy utter won over my most hated character of all time award....
Toppes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I think there's many other things that makes a fansub good besides the translation. In my opinion, besides a good translation a good fansub has a good layout for the subs (colors, fonts, sign translations etc.), good karaoke effects (including the correct lyrics), good video and audio quality and possible background information about stuff (in form of notes on the top or at the end of the episode). Of course, there isn't a group with all these qualifications and they don't have all of them. For example, if a fansub has good translations but the karaoke effects aren't so good, I find it a good fansub.

And how can I say a translation is good? Well I have studied Japanese for almost 3 years now first as a self study through various internet courses, voice lessons and anime and then on a Japanese course. I'm not saying that I'm so good in it that I could understand everything what people say in anime series. I'm saying that I can understand enough to judge the quality of the translations at some level. I can say that I know the basics of the Japanese language.
I think it's important that the translations are basically correct. They can have a few mistakes here and there and it's totally fine with me but the core of it should be translated correctly into gramatically correct and understandable english sentences. If the basics aren't good it can't be a good sub either.
Answerman was correct though that you can't judge the translations if you don't really understand Japanese.

I once watched a fansubbed chinese drama serie and I can say it was a bad sub. Sometimes I couldn't understand a single word from a sentence but I still understood enough to follow the plot. And once I watched the retail Love Hina dvds subbed in my language and they were so bad that it was actually better to take the subs off and just listen to the Japanese.

I don't think it's bad if a sub has mistakes here and there it's totally fine. What is important is that they are basically well done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8