• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes the word "rape" is a shocking word when used in such context, but here in the UK it's also the name of a seed crop farmed for it's oil.

He wasn't talking about [expletive] canola oil! How the hell is that at all relevant!? Holy shit.
Did I mention that faggot balls are a popular delicacy in Wales as well? I've had them. They're quite tasty. Taste like pork. Faggots and mash cooked til they're piping hot. Mmmmmmm I could sink my teeth into a pair and mash right now.

You are eternally my favorite person.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes the word "rape" is a shocking word when used in such context, but here in the UK it's also the name of a seed crop farmed for it's oil.

He wasn't talking about [expletive] canola oil! How the hell is that at all relevant!? Holy shit.
Did I mention that faggot balls are a popular delicacy in Wales as well? I've had them. They're quite tasty. Taste like pork. Faggots and mash cooked til they're piping hot. Mmmmmmm I could sink my teeth into a pair and mash right now.

Mohawk52 you just made my day and a child too.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Christ, thats disgustingly offensive that you think this is at all relevant.

But you have to admit it's pretty damn funny.

Hmm I guess no one is going to review or touch hayate I thought the set up using a new story line/plot with the established characters was a good direction. The episode did have some pacing issues until the half-way mark but over all it wasn't bad and I like to see where it's heading with spoiler[nagi's sister] Overall I would give it 3.5/5 because of pacing issues and some background information that needs to be known on said characters.

Hmm how could I have missed the narrator as well.. damn it really has been along time since I watched season one and two.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
zensunni wrote:

I agree! I am actually really hoping that the comment you made in spoilers was just a really bad translation issue and not how it was actually written, because it doesn't really fit the character the way he was written for the rest of the show.

It is not a mistranslation

Also, here is a useful article examining why Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is problmeatic

I didn't like the threat of rape (it ruined the mood and seemed out of character + you know...rape) but later in the manga...
spoiler[In the manga Haru does start to learn to respect Shizuka's boundaries, asking her if he's allowed to kiss her, hold hands etc. This is part of his character development, him becoming more considerate of her needs rather than being annoyingly clingy and selfish about his feelings. And when he starts treating her with more respect Shizuka likes him a whole lot more for it. He's rewarded for treating her properly (she wants to spend more time with him, stops viewing him as a pain in the arse) and he doesn't force himself on her when she doesn't want to do things with him Smile ]

Last edited by Yorozuya on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I simply see that line as a stupid choice of dialogue. It comes out of nowhere and disrupts the scene (at least in our minds).

Agreed. Overall I don't think My Little Monster is going to turn into the next great shojo series for me. It seems a bit too childish and cliched for that. But it's also far from the kind of shojos I really consider "problematic" (the love interests in those are only "jerk-Haru" without the "naive-friendly-Haru" side and the females are nowhere as "strong-willed" as Shizuku) ...

Last edited by maaya on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I simply see that line as a stupid choice of dialogue. It comes out of nowhere and disrupts the scene (at least in our minds). Otherwise this is a storm in a teacup.

Yes! Exactly! It just didn't fit the character at all!
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

No, I don't consider saying words that are known to be used by bigots funny. Regardless of the technicality someone uses to counter why they aren't offensive when they say them. This, after all, wasn't a discussion about crops in the broccoli family or Welsh food; it was about a rape threat in an anime. There was no reason to bring them up beyond being offensive.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

No, I don't consider saying words that are known to be used by bigots funny. Regardless of the technicality someone uses to counter why they aren't offensive when they say them. This, after all, wasn't a discussion about crops in the broccoli family or Welsh food; it was about a rape threat in an anime. There was no reason to bring them up beyond being offensive.

Words are only offensive when you use them in the context of being offensive. I somehow doubt Mohawk was intending to discriminate in his posts. So you can climb back down from your high horse now.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hayate No Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You:
Rebecca wrote:
The first major difference longtime Hayate fans will notice is a distinct lack of Norio Wakamoto – Hayate takes over the job of narration, and while he does a fine job...he's just no match for the masterfully evil sound of Wakamoto's narrator.

Edited~

The removal of Norio-sama makes me cry a fountain of salty tears. Anime cry
40% of why I liked Hayate No Gotoku was just to hear his sarcastic, witty remarks in the devilishly smooth voice. And now he's gone! Along with the Detective Conan statues.

Anyway, the first episode was okay. Glad all of the original VAs are back and the art/animation is not that bad. The humor and Shout-Outs are used less in this version while this Ruri girl will play an important role. I'll just see how this will pan out.

And yes, I totally spotted those fairy tale references. Including that Journey to the West painting; they seem to have been heading East. ;D

Guess I'm the only person who doesn't care about the 'rape' comment from My Little Monsters. *sigh* >__>
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Hayate No Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You:
Rebecca wrote:
The first major difference longtime Hayate fans will notice is a distinct lack of Norio Wakamoto – Hayate takes over the job of narration, and while he does a fine job...he's just no match for the masterfully evil sound of Wakamoto's narrator.

Edited~

The removal of Norio-sama makes me cry a fountain of salty tears. Anime cry
40% of why I liked Hayate No Gotoku was just to hear his sarcastic, witty remarks in the devilishly smooth voice. And now he's gone! Along with the Detective Conan statues.

Anyway, the first episode was okay. Glad all of the original VAs are back and the art/animation is not that bad. The humor and Shout-Outs are used less in this version while this Ruri girl will play an important role. I'll just see how this will pan out.

And yes, I totally spotted those fairy tale references. Including that Journey to the West painting; they seem to have been heading East. ;D

Guess I'm the only person who doesn't care about the 'rape' comment from My Little Monsters. *sigh* >__>

my statues!!

I don't like the new character designs and the narrator was one of my favorite charcters, even if he's not that important. did noiro die?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

It depends on your sense of humor, yes it is offensive I'll admit to that there is no denying that fact. However I've got a sick twisted sense of humor so it's not going to make cringe and go on binge of morality of right/wrong in forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought the whole "rape" line discussion was going to be surprisingly short since there weren't any replies on it for like half a day. >_> Guess I was wrong.

Going to quote my response to it from page 6:
GokuMew2 wrote:
I asked my [Japanese] co-worker about it and she immediately knew I was talking about Tonari no Kaibutsu kun. Her explanation is that Haru really did mean "rape" literally, but that's because he doesn't know how to interact with people and a lot of knowledge that he has is mistaken, as I think we've already seen from just the first episode. So while Haru meant it literally, I don't think it means that he was really doing to rape Shizuku. ...Does that make sense??

And this comment does a better job at explaining what I meant:
Mohawk52 wrote:
there's too much being made out of an off the cuff remark in the heat of the moment by a character who's suppost to be a loose canon, a bit of a yob. However what he does immediately after doing and saying that just shows he really doesn't understand what he's saying, or doing, and doesn't really mean it. Yes the word "rape" is a shocking word when used in such context, but here in the UK it's also the name of a seed crop farmed for it's oil.

Exactly. Haru probably doesn't know the meaning of the word. He is socially awkward and doesn't know how to interact with people well, let alone girls.

While it may be surprising to hear the line for foreigners, for Japanese people they understand the context of it so it doesn't cause as much brow raising.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

While it may be surprising to hear the line for foreigners, for Japanese people they understand the context of it so it doesn't cause as much brow raising.

You realize what you are saying here, right?

Its not a defense, in fact it makes the entire thing even worse
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The "eighth-grader syndrome" was kinda enlightening as to why i find myself more and more bored with animes ... and funny how Yuta's Dark Flame Master is so Kirito.

KyoAni keeps creating the same series over and over, but they always manage to have a certain charm.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a mixed impression of From the New World, which is more or less what I expected. Despite a sort of coolly brooding feel, but what the feel surrounds isn't quite alluring; nothing about 'school for psychics' quite lights my fire. It sounds a little enticing, but without anything to really guarantee that the enticement will pay off. If I had less trouble 'dropping' things, I'd probably dive right in. I'll probably watch it anyway, but not without some ritual equivocation first.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Christ, thats disgustingly offensive that you think this is at all relevant.

I certainly do not, because it wasn't. I have a pretty dark, black-hearted sense of humor too, but that doesn't exempt me from having some sense of conscience about what I find so damned amusing. Mohawk52's approach ended up as distressingly juvenile and crass. It's not necessary to accept the specific criticism to treat the subject with some decency and as though they come from a sincere, worthwhile place about a serious subject.

Jokes about rape are treacherous ground; some people are absolutists, but others think that they can be accepted if handled with care. I didn't laugh at Mohawk52's replies because they resorted to trying to dismiss the criticisms and trivialize the subject and when confronted, he doubled down with a witless sideswipe at homosexuals playing on some dialectal differences that I stopped finding amusing some time around the age of fourteen. I've laughed at some rape jokes (Examples courtesy of Louis CK and by George Carlin) and I'm a touch ambivalent, but when comedy is dark rather than joyful, it has to pick its targets and how is strikes them carefully, otherwise it ends up somewhere closer to baffling at best or hateful at worst.

It frustrates me that on a forum where boobs can inspire eleven billion pages of moral outrage, something that seems a lot more clearly wrong on the same general grounds is getting strangely marginal traction and was hardly mentioned in the previews. I'm not asking for an army of activists out in high dudgeon, but some show of conviction and better counter-arguments than so many words saying, "pffffft," would be nice.

It's not as though it's impossible to respond to the criticisms with a modicum of decency; one of the people whom Fencedude cited endorsed the tone and civility of this reply.

GokuMew2 wrote:

To me, it suggests something potentially very worrisome about Japanese culture.

Edit: What I found, "potentially worrisome," was not the scene and dialogue itself, but the reaction from GokuMew2's coworker, because I thought that it might suggest some strange normalization or acceptance of sexual violence. I deliberately hedged with, "potentially," however because of the limited, somewhat ambiguous information available.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 55