• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Cancels One Piece Production

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SetoChaos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
For the people saying its a bad thing because this means no games and no more One Piece to the masses.

This is a Dragonball Z situation. When that was butured FUNimation fixed it and look how well its done now. Its still being released, HD edition next year.

For the people saying that its too beeg to chance. It worked with Dragonball Z.

Lets look at the situation. 4Kids stops One Piece. Viz has Naruto. FUNimation needs something to have alongside it, how about One Piece? 4Kids may sell their rights to them. Or maybe because Viz has the Manga they would get One Piece. How well is the Manga doing? I'm sure people who read the Manga would want uncut versions. Also theres the fact that ever since 4Kids stopped releasing uncut DVDs (Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King) FUNimation has pestered them to make more. Didn't happen. This could mean new voice actors. Personally I couldn't care less in One Piece's case due to the VAs being bad. They may keep them should there be an agreement.

So to help the possibility I say we do this:

Email both FUNimation and Viz. It would certainly help, I know there are people here that probably don't like dubs in general (Or maybe don't like the VAs at FUNimation or Viz) and would rather keep watching the fansubbed version. But think of it this way, firstly there would be subbed versions included with all Uncut DVDs. Fansubbers will still fansub. More people have access to One Piece uncut. One Piece becomes more popular. More people see the uncut dub or sub. Or even come here. Games are released, new VAs (or old maybe). Theres also the chance there would be a chance to maybe change the games language to have the Japanese VAs.

FUNImations email:
[email protected]

VIZs contact form:
http://www.viz.com/about/contact/contact.php

Things remember in the email:

Be polite.
Remember we need the soundtrack for it to be perfect so put that in there.
Japanese version uncut with English subtitles.
English dubbed uncut version.

There you have it, One Piece has a chance to live.

If they continue from where 4Kids left off I wouldn't worry too much as long as uncuts are released. Look at Dragonball Z. Its finised and there releasing thr first redubbed sagas uncut now. You may notice that it looks like I'm contredicting myself by using it as an example. Whilst Dragonball Z doesn't have the soundtrack it does have a bit in common with whats happening to One Piece.

I'm gonna email them. For the love of One Piece it must be done. We cannot simply sit back and not try.
markzor1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
lets hope funi or viz by any chance are reading this thread:)

Last edited by markzor1 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
markzor1 wrote:
lets hope funi or viz by any chance reading this thread:)

Theirs a FUNi rep lurking once in a while here. VIZ doesn't have diddly squat.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the Canadian broadcast, it looks as if YTV may be replacing One Piece with The Fantastic Four starting in January, according to this press release.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it wouldn't be the first time Toei had pulled a license off someone holding one before it was due to expire. Sailor Moon anyone? Wink
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DBZ wasn't nearly as badly slaughtered as One Peice was, this comming from a guy who did see both versions. At least, for the most part anyways, they left names for things and storyline alone, just tampered with the content, opening and ending credits, and musical score is all (even though that still did piss me off a ton).

That and One Peice probably as now a HORRIBLE reputation amongst people who only know about the english dub. If you don't belive me, a have a best friend and a little brother who are too ignorant to know about how 4kids slaughtered One Peice, and think that it is the dumbest show they have ever seen. DBZ never had that kind of reputation amongst fans who only know of the dub version and nothing of the original Japanise version. People might end up saying "Oh no! It's that dumb show One Peice again," even if it is done by a good licencing company like Viz or Funnimation, because a lot of those kinds of people are too ignorant to know about licencing companies as well as most of us do.

As optamistic of a person as I usually am and would love to see One Peice get the treatment it deserves, I just don't know if I can see anyone fix this mess, no matter how good they are.
markzor1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but DBZ wasn't nearly as badly slaughtered as One Peice was, this comming from a guy who did see both versions. At least, for the most part anyways, they left names for things and storyline alone, just tampered with the content, opening and ending credits, and musical score is all (even though that still did piss me off a ton).

That and One Peice probably as now a HORRIBLE reputation amongst people who only know about the english dub. If you don't belive me, a have a best friend and a little brother who are too ignorant to know about how 4kids slaughtered One Peice, and think that it is the dumbest show they have ever seen. DBZ never had that kind of reputation amongst fans who only know of the dub version and nothing of the original Japanise version. People might end up saying "Oh no! It's that dumb show One Peice again," even if it is done by a good licencing company like Viz or Funnimation, because a lot of those kinds of people are too ignorant to know about licencing companies as well as most of us do.

As optamistic of a person as I usually am and would love to see One Peice get the treatment it deserves, I just don't know if I can see anyone fix this mess, no matter how good they are.

well said
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it wouldn't be the first time Toei had pulled a license off someone holding one before it was due to expire. Sailor Moon anyone? Wink

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Toei had nothing to do with 4Kids not picking up more of OP. 4Kids decided they didn't want anymore, most likely because the cost was too high and ratings too low to sell merchandise and make profit the way they want to. Licensing costs are making big name, long anime series near impossible to pick up, even for 4Kids. They've said as much, and that they want to start concentrating on their own productions rather than importing as a result.

As for SM, Toei didn't pull the licenses before they expired. DIC actually had theirs extended for a year, which gave ADV time to put out their crappy uncut sets, since they sublicensed it from DIC. The licenses just expired and weren't renewed, thought in great part to be because of Takeuchi as she now has control over the franchise. Notice the manga license also was not allowed to be renewed, even though TP wanted to release it unflipped.

As a few little side notes to some comments - Nelvana wouldn't be a bad choice for the license. Why? Because unlike 4Kids, they allowed an uncut version of the one anime (?) they did license to be released. An edited dub was aired, and Geneon sublicensed the show for the uncut dvd release. So CCS didn't really suffer.

Last I saw, PreCure was scheduled to air in February. This may have changed, but I haven't seen anything to say they've abandoned the property or given up the license.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ishida-kun wrote:
You ARE aware that edited art in manga is a VERY bad thing. Thanks to it I now by the REAL THING from Japan. What in the world are those idiots editing out of Eyeshield 21? Are youware that Viz DBZ is rated "A" because it has edited and modified art and that VIZ even tell you their manga is edited in the front flap of each volume? Toriyama (a known perfectionist) blew up once over VIZ editing Dragonball back in the original English manga. Changing art is a sin,imagine someone going up to the Mona Lisa in a museum and erasing part of her face to fit their own liking? Does anybody agree with me?

Buying the real thing.......I take it you also know Japanese for this? Or do you also get scanlations?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ishida-kun wrote:
Changing art is a sin,imagine someone going up to the Mona Lisa in a museum and erasing part of her face to fit their own liking? Does anybody agree with me?

No.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
^As long as they don't mess around with the story or names for things, or (in some cases but not very often, otherwise I don't really care about this one) change the Opening and ending credits, I personally don't care what they edit.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
To SetoChaos: E-mails won't work. Trust me on this. E-mail is a disposable form of communication when sent from unofficial resources, and at best we'd only reach a public feedback address. Snail mail is the way to go.

In OP's case, first you'll want to hit up Toei, as they animated OP originally. (You'll need more than one stamp for your letter to reach Japan.) Here's their Japanese offices:

Toei Animation Ohizumi Office
2-10-5 Higashi Ohizumi
Nerima-ku, Tokyo 178-8567 Japan

Toei Animation Shinjuku Office
58 Yokodera-machi
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0831 Japan

They also have an American sales office, though I doubt you'll get much help from them:

Toei Animation Incorporated
2029 Century Park East, Suite 422
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Here's VIZ Media and FUNimation's addresses:

VIZ Media LLC
P.O. Box 77010
San Francisco, CA 94107

FUNimation Productions LTD
6851 NE Loop 820
Suite 247
Fort Worth, TX 76180

Okay, so you're going to write a letter. Like I said, this is the best approach; e-mails are throwaway communication when sent from unofficial resources (At best you'll only reach a public feedback address), and if you were to call the companies yourself without knowing exactly whom you're calling, you'll only log general complaints that can get lost in the system.

1. Put a "Re: (Subject)" or "Attn: (Subject)" in the address (Be it One Piece anime/manga or whatever). Until we know a physical person who represents these, we want to give the companies a good idea of what these letters are about, lest they get sent to the general/unsorted bin.
2. Typing or writing in pen is fine, but if you're going to take the latter course of action, WRITE LEGIBLY! These guys aren't pharmacists. And use unruled (unlined) paper. Obviously rough up your letter once until you've decided what you want to say, then rewrite it neatly on a second sheet with pen.
3. Be polite, be polite, BE POLITE! Nobody wants to read a rant, and if you tear VIZ apart for using the dub names in the manga or whatever, or try to rip old wounds in FUNimation, your letter will only reach the vertical file (garbage can). Also, avoid any and all references to "the fans could do a better job", the fansubs/scanlations, etc., that degrades you from "watcher of the show/reader of the manga" to "obsessed Internet otaku". If you're going to do comparisons of the 4Kids dub and the original, you may add that you've seen a few eps of the Japanese release and really liked the music it had playing, but avoid mentioning it if you've actually seen the Japanese eps.
4. ALL YOUR LETTERS HAVE TO BE UNIQUE! If VIZ/FUNimation finds out they're getting letters that use the same framework with various alterations or copies of the same letter, this will really damage how seriously they take future comments/suggestions/complaints.
5. Proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are your friends! You're not writing a college paper, but every significant typo you make will decrease readability, and thus the respect you get from the person reading your letter. If you're too lazy to proofread your work yourself, you can always find a friend who excels in writing papers and have them proofread it for you.
6. Even if they make a change, keep in mind that it will take several episodes/volumes before the effects of that change show up.
7. Don't attack every single aspect of the show/manga you find imperfect. Just pick your one major troubling factor and focus on that in your letter.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
^While all that information is very good, it's also pretty pointless in this case. Toei will sell the license to whoever offers them the most money/the best package deal. Assuming that anyone wants it and can meet their asking price, of course. Every R1 company knows that 4Kids isn't picking up any more episodes. Viz is also aware that ~6 people aren't buying the manga due to the Zoro edit. They also know that OP has a large on-line fanbase that may or may not purchase an uncut dvd release starting at episode 105, because that's all that's currently available (we think, even that might not be up for grabs). Lord knows that even fans of the series will belly ache about the number of dvds that this is going to take and how unless it's on a Blu-Ray disc at 40 episodes a disc, they don't have room for it. We've already heard some of it. If CN cancels OP due to low ratings, then it's not likely they'll pick it up again even if a new company starts to dub it. The general public is already soured to it, and dubbing companies mean little to nothing to them. The great majority of OP's pre-4Kids money-making mainstream possibilities are now gone.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
^ That doesn't change the fact that letters work better than e-mail/phone calls when it comes to comments/complaints.

It doesn't hurt to try it, and if you die trying, at least you tried.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
No, both Bleach and Naruto are unedited as far as gore goes, but the important bit to note is that both of this manga are more graphic than One Piece. The worst scenes in OP were probably Zoro's wounds from Mihawk in Zoro v. Mihawk around Volume 6 and Luffy v. Croc I; that's nothing compared with what Kakashi did to Haku in the early bits of Naruto, let alone Gaara to Dosu or Kimimaro when he pulls out his bones.

I don't agree, I'd call One Piece much more graphic than Naruto. Your three examples from Naruto were all pretty tame. Kakashi hitting Haku with the Chidori had very little blood to it and done tastefully. Gaara at his worst is usually hidden by the sand and left to your imagination, same with Kankuro's attacks. And Kimimaro doesn't even get on the graphic scale, pulling out his own bones as part of his jutsu, harmlessly and bloodlessly, is more cool and unique than shocking and gory. Naruto does quite a bit to imply the violence, it's rare to see any blood spray or characters soaked in their own blood. Don't get me wrong, it happens, but not nearly on the scale that it happens on in Bleach and One Piece.

OP on the other hand loves to push the bar. Every story arc gets more bloody and brutal than the last. The first episode has someone getting their one chopped off and it escalates from there. I thought the fight against Crocodile was rather brutal, there's nothing like that in Naruto and then it goes up in the next arc on the sky island where even Nami, Chopper, and Usopp are soaking up the floor.

Bleach is winner between the three, but you don't seem to dispute that. I'm a bigger fan of Naruto and Bleach than One Piece, but even I recognize OP as having more graphic violence than Naruto.

Crawly wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Toei had nothing to do with 4Kids not picking up more of OP. 4Kids decided they didn't want anymore, most likely because the cost was too high and ratings too low to sell merchandise and make profit the way they want to. Licensing costs are making big name, long anime series near impossible to pick up, even for 4Kids. They've said as much, and that they want to start concentrating on their own productions rather than importing as a result.

What he's saying is that it wouldn't be totally out of the ordinary if Toei just pulled the license if 4Kids left it stagnant for too long, not that they had anything to do with them stopping.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12