• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artemis Weiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TMoHS = Over hyped soft-core loli-moe fodder.
Once again, I severely doubt you've actually seen the series.
I don't have to eat an entire full course to know I don't like the taste. Razz
There's a difference between saying, "This doesn't appeal to me; I don't think I'll like it" without seeing the series and making broad statements that purport to be accurately descriptive of something you have no direct knowledge of. It's the difference between expressing a reasonable opinion and trolling.

I haven't actually seen TMoHS either so as you said, I'm not in a position to make any sort of statement. For all I know it's a great anime and in no way moe/loli fodder. However, you can see where certain things. It leads to a few raised eyebrows from people like myself and Mohawk.

Because we've never seen any other decent anime turned into a fanservice collection before. If it contains anything that can be marketed to drooling fanboys, they will take advantage of it for the sake of making a bit of money. If people fall in love with a character, the companies will use that character to rake in as much cash as possible while the market exists. Discrediting Haruhi as loli/moe fodder is equivalent to saying the same of many other anime greats.

It's one thing to watch an anime and take the time to give a thorough analysis of why you find it to be unattractive. If you'd care to so much as delve into the Why? of how you came to view Haruhi as "loli-moe" fodder, it might be more acceptable. At the moment, however, you're just one of those people who takes things at face value. You read in a magazine that the anime was this or that, so you skipped the whole section where you're supposed to make your own decisions. So, even if you, Mohawk, say that it's loli-moe fodder, that isn't your opinion. That's the opinion of the magazine article you read.

That said, until you have your own opinion, there really wouldn't be any reason for you to participate in the discussion, and you can't have an informed opinion without watching enough of the anime to create one. Voila! Resolution achieved.

Edit: In reference to your analogy, rather than eating the full course, you simply glanced at the menu before deciding on the taste. Therein we find everyone's problem with your analysis of the series.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Artemis Weiss wrote:
Voila! Resolution achieved.
Did I mention I watched various trailers? Oh yeah, I did.
Artemis Weiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Because 300+ minutes of plot line and character development can easily be condensed into a 5-minute sampling that's entire purpose is to lure "typical" anime fans into watching the series... L2Market?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Artemis Weiss wrote:
Because 300+ minutes of plot line and character development can easily be condensed into a 5-minute sampling that's entire purpose is to lure "typical" anime fans into watching the series... L2Market?
Which is usually cherry picked with the most tantalising scenes to grab the fanboys with. Like I said earlier. I don't need to eat an entire full course to know I don't like the taste. I've seen enough panty shots and underaged teenaged girls in Playboy TM bunny suits to know what this is all about 300+ or no. It's just yet another example of the moe trend that is more prolific in Japan these days and I'm starting to get sick of it.
Artemis Weiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
If you talk about panty shots and bunny suits, you're just proving my point that the trailers only showed you things that the company felt would lure people into watching the show. The parts of a show that grip the audience varies from person to person. You can either like the deep underlying storyline that develops through to the conclusion of the series, or you can enjoy seeing a couple of young girls who infrequently wear scandalous clothing in spite of their surroundings. Given the current trends in anime pop. culture, however, which do you think is most likely to be marketed?

You're basing your entire opinion of a 14-episode anime series on trailers and magazine articles. If that's how you choose your anime, I would hate to see the pitiful list of favorites you've compiled.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Artemis Weiss wrote:
Which is usually cherry picked with the most tantalising scenes to grab the fanboys with. Like I said earlier. I don't need to eat an entire full course to know I don't like the taste. I've seen enough panty shots and underaged teenaged girls in Playboy TM bunny suits to know what this is all about 300+ or no. It's just yet another example of the moe trend that is more prolific in Japan these days and I'm starting to get sick of it.

Okay, here's a challenge for you:

When the first novel from which the anime is based is released in less than a year, go and read it. I guarantee no panty shots or pictures of girls in bunny suits... since, well, it's a novel.
If you still think the story is just "moe crap" than so be it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Artemis Weiss wrote:
If you talk about panty shots and bunny suits, you're just proving my point that the trailers only showed you things that the company felt would lure people into watching the show. The parts of a show that grip the audience varies from person to person. You can either like the deep underlying storyline that develops through to the conclusion of the series, or you can enjoy seeing a couple of young girls who infrequently wear scandalous clothing in spite of their surroundings. Given the current trends in anime pop. culture, however, which do you think is most likely to be marketed?

You're basing your entire opinion of a 14-episode anime series on trailers and magazine articles. If that's how you choose your anime, I would hate to see the pitiful list of favorites you've compiled.
I can remember people saying that about Deep Throat back in the 70's mate. Oh, and I can well imagine what's on your shelf as well. But you see I'm not a young teenage adolescent male who's yet to have his cherry popped. I'm a family man with two kids, two cars and a 4 bedroom house to pay off, so I have no need for cartoons to wank off to, as you might have assumed. In fact these things make my skin crawl.

samuelp wrote:

When the first novel from which the anime is based is released in less than a year, go and read it. I guarantee no panty shots or pictures of girls in bunny suits... since, well, it's a novel.
If, and when it washes up on our beaches, translated into English, I might take you up on that challange as the light novels would be more concentrating on the plot instead of using the plot as a visual vehicle to ride the fanservice in. If I find that not to be the case I will drop that as well. So bring then on I say.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen any od the top ten...

I do like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though. I probably wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's enjoyable enough. I do greatly prefer the light novels, though.

You can't really say Kyon's sister panders to lolicons... She's not remotely sexualised. Even Kyon's date with the ten year old Miyoko isn't really loli...
Artemis Weiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, my statement about the deep, underlying storyline was more of a generalization encompassing the entirety of Anime. I'm not saying Haruhi's storyline is incredibly deep, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is essentially what you just said.

Mohawk52 wrote:
But you see I'm not a young teenage adolescent male who's yet to have his cherry popped.

The point I'm attempting to get across is that Haruhi as a series isn't that kind of series. They simply market those parts of the series, because comparatively, attempting to convince anime fans that they should watch the series because of its layered aspects delving into theology and self-awareness is much less likely to pull their agape, drooling, cavernous mouths and lustrous eyes away from series like Naruto and Bleach, which are packed with 100% grade A crap, but contain enough moe service to earn a fanbase among "those types" as well.

Marketing is important to the life of an anime. If it isn't marketed properly, even the best anime can die. That's why a lot of the best anime have yet to gain the proper recognition they deserve.

Zero no Tsukaima is another anime close in nature to this debate. It contains a lot of scenes that are nothing short of perverse, because of the character types in the anime. Still, that doesn't draw away from the fact that the series stands firm as a very plot-oriented anime title.

There are many other anime of the same type. Just because it's marketed as being nothing but a moe/fanservice title doesn't mean it lacks any more-worthwhile qualities.

So, if you can stop defending how wonderfully mature you are for a moment and consider that you're still debating over a very immature anime, you might see the points that are being expressed here as more than just "fanboy flaming". Judgment begets judgment.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

samuelp wrote:

If, and when it washes up on our beaches, translated into English, I might take you up on that challange as the light novels would be more concentrating on the plot instead of using the plot as a visual vehicle to ride the fanservice in. If I find that not to be the case I will drop that as well. So bring then on I say.

There's no if about it, it's been licensed by Little Bear and they're putting out the first novel April 2009...
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-17/little-brown-gets-haruhi-light-novels-in-english
I think I even read somewhere that they will probably distribute it in the UK as well.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Though, the novel does include pictures, and some of them are girls in bunny suits...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Though, the novel does include pictures, and some of them are girls in bunny suits...

SHH! I almost had him! You fool!

Seriously, though, it's only a small picture and it's actually quite probable the color illustrations will be left out of the US edition due to various printing issues (I think the black and white ones will definitely be included, though).

Last edited by samuelp on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can remember people saying that about Deep Throat back in the 70's mate. Oh, and I can well imagine what's on your shelf as well. But you see I'm not a young teenage adolescent male who's yet to have his cherry popped. I'm a family man with two kids, two cars and a 4 bedroom house to pay off, so I have no need for cartoons to wank off to, as you might have assumed. In fact these things make my skin crawl.

Wow, you're just the king of baseless opinions, aren't you? I think when you start hurling personal attacks at people, which may very well not be true, you've lost your battle.
Not only are you totally wrong about Haruhi, which is a very charming, fun, interesting, clever series, that just happens to have fanservice in it (but seriously, what anime nowadays doesn't?) but you are totally wrong about it's fans as well. I say this as a 20-something woman in a long-term relationship, who has gotten sweet lovin', and has never wanked off to Haruhi.
Why don't you go spend some time with your kids and your two cars, and stop arguing about some cartoon that you have deemed to be below you? Because, considering how much you seem to hate this show, you sure are devoting a lot of attention to it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Artemis Weiss wrote:
To watch the anime in chronological order takes a lot of that away. Since you're so focused on watching the development of the "special" characters, and understanding why they're so special, you don't see the unique ways that Kyon ties into Suzumiya's storyline. I really think that, to understand Haruhi as an anime masterpiece, you have to view it as a unique and never-before-seen work of Romantic art, rather than trying to perceive it as a Sci-Fi/SoL school-time fantasy.

... Whoa, that's way off base.

I, and a number of others, have seen The Melanchoy of Haruhi Suzumiya through broadcast order first and yet prefer chronological. It's a fun, well-directed and scripted anime with production values to match. Mikuru may be a big moe blob (no matter how much some fanboys want to scream for validation based on later novels), but the rest of the main cast works very well -- even better in chronological order.

The novelty of broadcast order comes with the fan hype of when it first aired, and like a novelty it wears off over time. The broadcast order doesn't add anything to the narrative, period. It's an entertaining gimmick, but little more than that.

The character interactions and direction are what keep me coming back to the series (already have watched it three times through), not because the fans want it to be a post-modern, ambitious masterpiece that deconstructs genres and storytelling altogether (i.e. it's no Evangelion).

@Mohawk52: If the series is pure moe-fodder like you suggest, than why has it taken off so strongly and appeal to those that hate moe (which includes me)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10