• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Revival to Have 'New Original Anime Programming'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
wont it be funny if they air Queens Blade.

There would be a certain absurd brilliance to that. Hell, I'd watch it; that would make for an interesting experiment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
More like it would never be on Adult Swim period in any form or fashion. What is so "adult" about Pocket Monsters? Let's not pretend it's more mature than it is.

I'd say it's easily more mature than shows about a talking disembodied ass and anything Tim and Eric have made/starred in.

But I'm not talking about maturity, I'm talking about content. Which is the only reason anime even airs on Adult Swim because they show mostly kids anime like Bleach and FMA.

Adult Swim is the only place you CAN air Japanese children shows uncut, whether or not they're actually for adults is irrelevant.

maturity aside we're still talking about an anime about a prepubescent boy who collects cute creatures. Not exactly Adult Swim's prime pickings.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Moribito was a kids show dude. It was also the lowest rated show ASA ever aired.

The more I see people posting about what shows are kids shows, the more I think we truly do devolve as we get older, if Moribito is a kids show, then its a pretty dang good one.

Also...no wonder I miss being a kid, the stuff aimed at me was actually smarter then stuff aimed at me now. Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
a dub series licensed by Aniplex of America though it's not gonna be Madoka Magica.

My prediction would probably be Fate/Zero.

I would be FLABBERGASTED for Madoka Magica to be on TV. Can't we have at least one series that has a mostly female protagonist cast in an already male-heavy line-up (well, besides the potential of Panty and Stocking)?

And Fate/Zero? Isn't that way too soon for them?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

F/Z would be kind of difficult, you know, since it has no dub and all. And I reeeeaaaalllly doubt that we'll be seeing Toonami/AS actually putting forth that level of effort and capital to get it or other shows dubbed, or even licensed. Yes, they helped Big O season 2, but that was a decade ago, under different circumstances and a different economy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
a dub series licensed by Aniplex of America though it's not gonna be Madoka Magica.

My prediction would probably be Fate/Zero.

I would be FLABBERGASTED for Madoka Magica to be on TV. Can't we have at least one series that has a mostly female protagonist cast in an already male-heavy line-up (well, besides the potential of Panty and Stocking)?

I mean when it eventually gets an english dub cause i'm preety sure Fate/Zero will sell just enough that Aniplex of America will have to include an english dub.

Also I definitely wont see madoka magica on that block,though I wouldnt be susprised that it is included,and even more shockingly they include the current dubs for mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha,Shakuguan no Shana & Zero no Tsukaima.

They did license the DIC versions of Sailor Moon after all.

Surrender Artist wrote:
gamegodtre wrote:
wont it be funny if they air Queens Blade.

There would be a certain absurd brilliance to that. Hell, I'd watch it; that would make for an interesting experiment.

Though i'm a die hard fanservice junkie, i'm a realist. And you have to be one as well.
THERE IS NO AND I MEAN NO CHANCE IN HELL QUEENS BLADE IS GONNA BE IN THAT BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However i can see Rosario + Vampire there though only on AS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
If Toonami ever aired a fan service title it should be one that has some action in it. Too bad Tenjou Tenge is in limbo atm. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
The only way Pocket Monsters would air on Adult Swim is if they air the uncut version.

Which is never happening.

More like it would never be on Adult Swim period in any form or fashion. What is so "adult" about Pocket Monsters? Let's not pretend it's more mature than it is.

LOL you mean Pokemon, right? This reminds me of a time in grade school...

Me: "Heard you guys like Pokemon! Want to play cards?"
Kid: "...uhh its pronounced POKETTO MONSUTAA :eyeroll: *points to the back of a JAPANESE card and phonetically sounds it out for me* actually."
Me: "Okay cool. Want to play Pocket Monster cards then?"
Kid: "Only if you have JAPANESE POKETTO MONSUTAA *still sounding it out* cards."

So yeah...we never played Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
But it is called Pocket Monsters.

And he's right in using either only Japanese or only English cards, given the differences and changes between the franchises and products. It'd be unfair to be at a advantage or disadvantage depending on which ones you were using. Seems like a logical choice.

kakoishii wrote:
maturity aside we're still talking about an anime about a prepubescent boy who collects cute creatures. Not exactly Adult Swim's prime pickings.

You're right.. it might be too normal.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, Pocket Monster sounds...more normal. Was it because they thought the -mon title was more marketable?

Ah, whatever. This is supposed to be a block for adult viewers, and toy ads don't really do that (I know Bleach has its own children's card game, but it's not advertised in the show)
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I'll be honest, Pocket Monster sounds...more normal. Was it because they thought the -mon title was more marketable?
A)"Pokemon" was already a nickname in use in Japan.
B)"Pocket Monsters" is pretty blase and possibly not trandmarkable(Biohazard had its name changed for that reason).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
B)"Pocket Monsters" is pretty blase and possibly not trandmarkable(Biohazard had its name changed for that reason).

I knew it was B. The trademark issue and marketability.

Um, right, where were we?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Marketing 101: Shorter names work best since kids are too dumb to remember much (at least according to executives)

Also, it gives them the excuse to attach the "Poke" prefix to everything like some brand name. "Pokedex" "Pokeball" Pokebell, Pokeflute.. I don't know, whatever else they threw it onto that didn't have 'Poke' in it in the original. Digimon would see the same thing a few years later where they add Digi in front of everything to be 'trendy' (Digivolve, Digiworld, Digidestined, etc)

Polycell wrote:

Most likely Biohazard was because of the band Biohazard.

Detective Conan became Case Closed because the name 'Conan' is copyrighted (apparently) so I doubt there's a limit on what you can trademark and be sued for.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Ah, whatever. This is supposed to be a block for adult viewers, and toy ads don't really do that (I know Bleach has its own children's card game, but it's not advertised in the show)

I don't even think they still make the Bleach card game, only Anime (and what not) based TCG i've seen on stands the past 3-4 years have been Naruto & Pokemon, and i'm pretty surprised Naruto's TCG is still around. But yeah what was up with that for awhile they were making card games for seemingly every shonen anime that popped up on TV. Bleach, Case Closed, Full Metal Alchemist, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic X, YuYuHakusho, Zatch Bell, etc. So many card games, and most of em didn't even last past the first set. Laughing

But yeah back on Topic, I don't see Pokemon on the [Adult Swim] Toonami, I mean I guess they could rerun the old seasons for Nostalgia, but Boomerang already does that, so yeah.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I must say that I do not really understand why some people feel that though this venture will automatically fail. Well, what does failing even entail anyway? I mean you can't expect that the new Toonami will do any worse than the current [adult swim] action block right? That's the only definition of failure that I can think of here. What's more, people complain that this block will not have any new programming but they've already confirmed that we will be getting something new, so there's that as well. Honestly, I can only see this being a good thing for [adult swim]. The people looking for the nostalgia of Toonami might come back and start watching again, and the people who were already watching the [as] action block won't really have a reason not to continue watching will they? This seems like a win-win to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11