• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fractale (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't understand what you are driving at, Brent Allison.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think Brent Allison was wondering...

Just call me Brent. Wink

Last edited by Brent Allison on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Strange you should bring that up, Blood-. About emotional engagement, I mean.

I certainly feel some emotional engagement with Phyrane and Nessa, and in certain ways towards Clain. On an individual level, I feel engagement towards many of the characters. But towards the societies portrayed, and towards the world in general: they seem sort of sterile (soulless?), as if they're being used solely to put forth some kind of abstract message or piece of social commentary. It's off-putting to me and makes it harder for me to engage with the characters.

Brent,

Hey, you picked your own name. ;P
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I certainly feel some emotional engagement with Phyrane and Nessa, and in certain ways towards Clain. On an individual level, I feel engagement towards many of the characters. But towards the societies portrayed, and towards the world in general: they seem sort of sterile (soulless?), as if they're being used solely to put forth some kind of abstract message or piece of social commentary. It's off-putting to me and makes it harder for me to engage with the characters.

This was precisely why I couldn't relate to anyone on a gut level in The Matrix movies. When a title is presented as social or cultural commentary or philosophy, it invites me to analyze the movie. When that happens, my ability to emotionally relate to the characters diminishes because that requires a different part of my brain that I'm not using.

Quote:
Hey, you picked your own name. ;P

Actually, my parents did that. ;P This is the first time that I've ever used my full name on an Internet forum, so being referred to by my full name in this conversational style seems awkward and overly formal. Still, I see why people do it since using real, full names is a rare occurrence and the conventions of referring to someone by their real name on a casual message board aren't well-established.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I respect anybody who uses their real names on Internet forums. I cut my teeth on messageboards that you didn't dare reveal your real name for fear of some 'tard trying to mess with you in real life. That experience has stayed with me (not that I personally ever had anything weird happen to me, but I know of others whose employers were contacted and RL info posted) which is why I continue to remain anonymous even in these relatively innocuous waters.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Honestly, the writing in the series seems... weird. Awkward, even. Like they have things they want to say, but they say them in strange and ungainly ways. I'm hoping that the conclusion will help clarify what they've been trying to do so far, but I'm becoming increasingly doubtful that they'll be able to pull it off.

That's kinda my feeling on the series so far. You see, when the promo images/summaries were coming out, I figured that the series would spend the first few episodes showing Clain and co meeting both the pro and against Fractale people and then deciding that both sides were rather extreme and then traveling around the world seeing other people's (more moderate) feelings and then probably taking down Fractale in the end because giving people the chance to choose if they wanted to live in the system or not was the most important thing. So watching them force the LM to be the "good guys" and the temple people to be the "bad guys" just feels awkward and too childishly written to me, like they're relying on the two extreme ends of the situation instead of fully exploring it. So I do like the setting of this show but the plot and the characters regularly annoy me here.
Vhaeraun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Also, I agree with you that if we're supposed to identify with the Lost Millennium guys, then the writers fell far short of the mark. I don't sympathize with either the pro-Fractale guys or the LM guys. One side is using mind-control and the other are led by thugs and terrorists.

Truthfully, I feel you aren't supposed to relate to either. As you say, the temple is resorting to mind-control in a big brother sort of way, and the other resorts to violence to get their point across and try and bring everyone to their point of view instead of letting people choose.

It's two sides of the same coin. I feel the viewer is supposed to sympathise more with Clain than with the temple or LM. You have two extremes shown, and neither side has clean hands. In the portrayal of Fractale, you have the barbaric slaughter of clones to find the one to restart the system. In the portrayal of LM, you have outright murder of those who do not follow your beliefs. Neither choice is perfect, but both show the consequences of forcibly following your beliefs.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
@Blood: Thank you, although I've posted nothing here to get me in trouble in the first place, so I'm not sure if I deserve that kind of respect. Still, it's appreciated.

Vhaeraun wrote:
It's two sides of the same coin. I feel the viewer is supposed to sympathise more with Clain than with the temple or LM. You have two extremes shown, and neither side has clean hands. In the portrayal of Fractale, you have the barbaric slaughter of clones to find the one to restart the system. In the portrayal of LM, you have outright murder of those who do not follow your beliefs. Neither choice is perfect, but both show the consequences of forcibly following your beliefs.

Point, but if we're supposed to sympathize with Clain, Tuor's point about the ungainly writing still stands. Clain's an everyman caught between two sides, both of which are in a moral quagmire. If we were just supposed to sympathize with his dilemma on that level, then that's all well and good. But the show is also trying to say something larger about the relationship between technology, power, and society. We can all agree that terrorism and mind control are bad things (hence the sympathize-with-Clain angle), but the show is trying to say something else beyond that. We don't know what that is, and it's doubtful that this larger message can be convincingly communicated with one more episode to go, hence the ungainly writing.

I'm all the more concerned that the show has painted itself into a corner with one episode left because Yutaka Yamamoto said that he would quit the industry if Fractale wasn't successful. If it leaves enough of us unsatisfied, and if Yamamoto wasn't fibbing, then we will have lost a talented guy whose heart was in the right place but bit off more than he could chew.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
It's the hair color, I tell ya. They shouldn't have changed it in the first place. Phryne would have been much sexier if she had her original hair color. There, I said what everyone wanted to say but were too shy to act.

We also needed naked Phryne in the promotional art to make this successful. There, I said something else everyone else wanted to, but didn't.

And more crotch shots. There, I...
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

They also needed Nessa constantly clinging to Clain and calling him Onii-san.

I've liked this show. Fractale has its flaws but overall its kept me entertained. I would have liked more depth with the Fractale system but I'm a tech head so I get into that stuff. For me watching Clain on his journey is like Alice going through Wonderland. They could stop and break down each step of the journey but then we'd have a 48 ep series. I'm really glad that they took the risks. I'd rather have a series takes risks and fail than a generic harem following the 'formula'.

Unintended humor : When Nessa says that she "loves" or "hates" something it always reminds me of Steve Carrol as Brick Tamland in Anchorman. I kept waiting for Nessa to say, "Nessa loves lamp".
kiddtic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's the hair color, I tell ya. They shouldn't have changed it in the first place. Phryne would have been much sexier if she had her original hair color. There, I said what everyone wanted to say but were too shy to act.

We also needed naked Phryne in the promotional art to make this successful. There, I said something else everyone else wanted to, but didn't.

I.. Uh.... you said it all Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
The central theme of Fractale reminds me of WALL-E. I liked WALL-E better.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Can someone call episode 11 ironic and a bit lackluster of a series ending?

spoiler[Turns out Phyrne was the original host body used in creating the Fractale system as the "God" of the system was an everyday 16-year old schoolgirl around the time the system was created with Nessa being the name of that Phyrne's stuffed bunny and the living embodiment of Phyrne's lost positive emotions of living life (which there was never any hint of throughout the show). The Fractale system is used to fuse Nessa and Phyrne back together where a while afterward, the Temple is vanquished with Phyrne (now more chirpier in personality thanks to said fusion) and Claine now living together.]

This is definitely the weaker of the three new titles I seen for the Winter 2011 season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or does the music at the end really sound like a different version of the sound track from Titanic?

Great show, and the ending was excellent to me, I'll forgive it for the lack of the Fractale system explanation. Honestly, it's very enjoyable, and has a lovable main cast. It's slow pace was enjoyable, and let the audience join an adventure through the world of Fractale. This adventure reveals some positive and negative lights of the Fractale system. Through Clain, the main character, the viewer is able to sympathize with Clain's thoughts on what should happen to the Fractale system. Should the Fractale system be removed? Or should it stay to help 'benefit' the people? The final episode gives the answer.

It turns out that the spoiler["God" is actually the original Phryne, your average high school girl, and Nessa was her stuff animal. The original Phryne experienced a traumatic event (implied that this is rape or something along that line), and "our" Phryne has experienced something similar from Ephebo-daddy. Scientists split "God" (Original Phryne): Nessa becoming a 10 year old embodiment of Original Phryne's mind, and "our" Phryne, the body. ] How does this play in with the Fractale system? Well, spoiler[the biological data of Original Phryne allows a recreation of Phryne to restart the Fractale System, giving the temple total control over the world (and ability to restart the system anytime).] The last episodes also reveals truths about several things. spoiler[As discussed in the above spoilers, the Fractale System is more negative. The Lost Millenium are shown in a positive light, it's goal was not to destroy the temple, but to show the reality of being human. I guess relying too much on technology makes you inhuman in some way. That was the message of the show.]
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering heading into the last episode, but it fulfilled my hopes for this series. I'm satisfied, and I would pick this one up if it gets licensed on DVD.

I think they made a wonderful parallel between spoiler[the integration of Phyrne and Nessa's personalities and the integration of the technological (Fractale) and human (LM) worlds. In the end, LM wasn't about destroying Fractale but about preserving the knowledge of how to live human lives]. The epilogue was nicely written and cleverly showed spoiler[the integrated Phryne/Nessa, as well as Clain leading a more balanced human and technological life. ]

Was anyone else reminded of Shigofumi spoiler[in the revelations about Phyrne's experiences and coping]?

Also, I loved how they echoed spoiler[the bunny ears in Nessa's hair style].

Last edited by usagidoshi on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Vhaeraun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
usagidoshi wrote:
spoiler[ In the end, LM wasn't about destroying Fractale but about preserving the knowledge of how to live human lives.].

I wish they had played that bit up instead of portraying LM as terrorists throughout the entire series. I feel it undermined the whole movement with not explicitly saying that throughout the series and making LM out like they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12