• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm a bit confused, he was supposed to stop them destroying the pillar. So he did he go inside the pillar?

Well, Ushio isn't really great at making careful plans is he? He wanted to reunite with his mother and from there he would figure out somehow (which is completely fine, the hero doesn't always have to succeed at everything) to protect her. Thus the pillar. But anyway, whatever little time he got was lost when JSDF panicked over East & West's Macross things' youki signature.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
That last line in 32 was pure gold .

"By my name, everything shall be destroyed!"

And Tora just froze in fear...
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
I remember this series was being made fun off when it was released first. People called it a poor attempt to ride on the Jojo hype train by resurrecting a dead horse.
Now people are becoming hardcore fans, crying of sadness because the anime adaptation is leaving our a lot of Manga content for probably financial reasons. Some are pitting it in their top list.
I personally love ushio and Tora. It's absolutely epic.
I have never heard about this series before the anime adaptation so I'm glad there's the Manga for me to read.

It's not a hunter x hunter level anime but it's not far off from a top of the top Shonen anime.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn. When I said I wasn't looking forward to Ushio and Tora's reunion, I didn't think it'd be this bad! Everything looks well and truly FUBAR'd; it's hard to imagine how everyone is going to bounce back from this, though I guess that explains why we're seeing Hakumen (at those power levels, while still being contained?!) so soon.

EDIT: I assumed this season was 26 episodes as well. My bad, it's only 13! I thought we had more than 6 episodes to go. ^^;
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say that episode 33 was fantastic, possibly the best episode yet in the series.

I really liked how it used the spoiler["female character slaps male character to knock some sense into him" trope but subverted it by having that push Ushio past the breaking point.]
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Ep#33:

This episode left me on the edge of my sit and I hardly closed my mouth through the entire runtime. Hakuman no Mono has indeed lived up to its reputition since episode 1. He's scary and creepy in everything: appearance (his eyes in particular), abilities,powers,etc.

You know what? I don't even want to put him as my avator!
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness this season is only 13 episodes. I regret sticking with this show.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Hakumen no Mono truly deserves to be the most powerful antagonist that truly lingers in memory, with its monstrous appearances, evil red eyes, everything. It seems we have another winner for "who's the scariest villain" this year.

I might've died from a heart attack if I were Ushio. Hakumen is scary and deadly from head to toe.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's an expression that doesn't translate well, but Tora-gakusha's almost-girlfriend wanting to "hide in his mouth" elicited a raised eyebrow and a puzzled look from me. Also, I'm sure it's not what they were going for, but chibi Hakumen was absolutely adorable.

Last edited by JaggedAuthor on Sat May 21, 2016 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 34
Quote:
Tora is directly responsible for the worst villain in the Ushio & Tora universe

Hmm, that's a bit like holding a caterpillar responsible for birthing parasitic wasps. To me it seems the other way around - Hakumen was responsible for creating Tora by ruining Shagakusha's life.

Aaand the people around young Shagakusha share not a little of the blame as well. Had they not rejected him for such a nebulous reason, Hakumen would have found no nourishment in his hate.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Maybe it's an expression that doesn't translate well, but Tora-gakusha's almost-girlfriend wanting to "hide in his mouth" elicited a raised eyebrow and a puzzled look from me.

I had the same thought. I think it's referencing the fact that as a general whose job is to roar out orders (like all generals), his mouth would be the safest place because a general's voice is his most powerful weapon and no enemy would dare approach someone with such an intimidating presence. The greatest generals are revered for verbally sending out orders that push the battle in his side's favor.

Or simply put, Shagakusha's voice alone sends enemies packing so his mouth would be the safest place to hide (like hiding in a bunker you know is immensely fortified). Honestly, this does feel like a case of hard-to-translate well because I had to go into this much detail. XD
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hmm, that's a bit like holding a caterpillar responsible for birthing parasitic wasps. To me it seems the other way around - Hakumen was responsible for creating Tora by ruining Shagakusha's life.

Aaand the people around young Shagakusha share not a little of the blame as well. Had they not rejected him for such a nebulous reason, Hakumen would have found no nourishment in his hate.

Adding to that, I wonder if Hakumen stealthily contributed to Shagakusha's perpetually short fuse, propensity for violence and superhuman strength - or if he adopted a completely hands-off approach while using him as a vessel. Either way, I agree that Shagakusha's peers shoulder the majority of the blame.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Wow they've really been knocking it out of the park with the animation, and while agree they went a bit far with the animation in the flash backs, the style of it was still well done.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Am i only one who cannot notice the difference in animation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
^ No, I only noticed it at the beginning of the flashback when he was seeing it underwater while he was passing out. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12