• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Funny you mention Cowboy Bebop because it's only popular in the United States.

The rest of the world doesn't care about it, Japan doesn't care about it and they never did care in the first place. It's funny "the answerman" thinks that Japanese remember late night Otaku anime. The only exception are things like NGE and the like, even GiTS is popular only among certain audiences.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Very late to comment here but I had been reading since page 1 and my little utterance of words are mostly devoid of any worthiness anyway (and my english and grammar is horrible). Well, I can't say much but just be glad that the industry is capable of producing so much shows as it is now, which means better varieties for everyone out there because everyone has different taste. I believe that the more products a particular industry can churned out, the condition for it couldn't get any better, isn't that true? (maybe not.)Yeah, I heard and read so much topic about how the workers in the anime industry in which this subject is focused on is basically underpaid and forced to worked over quota as if they are involved in some kind of a concentration camp but hell, like someone has mentioned, they are getting money and work, aren't they? (unlike an actual slaves.) Even if their paycheck could buy only so little items. Some people asserted that they are doing it for the sake of love toward the industry and well, the industry has gotten pretty far based on their commitment and I think that's great. And it's not like the industry truly doesn't care about their fellow workers because there has been efforts to increase their payment and dorms are made specifically for ones with lower income that worked as an animator or whatever their responsibility is.
Furthermore, even if the abundance of titles meant repetition and severe lack of overwhelmingly famous work that is really rare and garnered special influence, that doesn't really meant much when everyone has different ideals toward what make a certain title as a masterpiece or not. For example, everyone might seemed to literally hated Pupa but that doesn't necessarily make it a fact as if there's no one out there that liked it. Kimi no na wa is considered a true avant garde that is majorly loved by so many people but of course, people that dislike it existed. Even Shelter by Porter Robinson is hated by that certain someone on MAL that gave it a 1 rating as a review score. Every title is perceived differently by everyone, and eventhough that you may think that modern anime can't surpassed your favorite aging anime, it doesn't translated toward everyone thinking the same. I personally believed that New Game is a masterpiece for me because of how fun it is despite of the script and method of presentation being similar to other anime that carried the same theme and genre but that really just how I felt and it is my opinion. I'm sure everyone else has their own ideal and preference toward what make a certain showd as very exceptional for them. So, in the end, the abundance of varieties in titles nowadays will served greatly as to expand the library of anime available, provide more opportunity for people with no career and exploration of themes that will create all sorts of results. I'm just hoping that doesn't seemed as a negative.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Funny you mention Cowboy Bebop because it's only popular in the United States.

The rest of the world doesn't care about it, Japan doesn't care about it and they never did care in the first place. It's funny "the answerman" thinks that Japanese remember late night Otaku anime. The only exception are things like NGE and the like, even GiTS is popular only among certain audiences.

Nah, Bebop always did well in Japan. The box release a few years back did a respectable 15,000 units, and it sold well in the late 90s too despite it's hacked up airing. To stay that "Only We Americans, the true patricians! have ever liked Cowboy Bebop" is false and demeaning. They just never raised the same stink over it for whatever reason. Now, that is true for Trigun and Outlaw Star.
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
I found an interesting blog post that tries to figure this out from the opposite end -- not if too much anime is being made for consumer demand, but rather whether the number of production-quality animators in Japan is able to make the number of shows that are being made at the rate they are being made without a loss of quality from spreading themselves too thin: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/12/27/anime-craft-weekly-25-decrypting-anime-production/

Apparently many anime companies suffer from "Mythical Man-Month" syndrome, where they will attempt to meet missed deadlines by simply adding more freelance animators, despite the fact that there reaches a point where coordinating the extra animators eats up the time saved by having them.

Tracking the number of animators being used to produce an anime (adjusted for how complex the animation is) is a rule of thumb way to determine the health of the show, so the idea is that tracking the number of animators being used across shows is a good way of tracking the health of the industry.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
@mbanu, Its appears to me that the anime industry now has undergone dramatic expansion and this generates pressure on studios to deliver more than they can given their usual staff. I think in a few years this will stabilize as the number of new shows being produced will not continue increasing at such fast pace and the industry will become more healthy as studios will learn to manage better their production schedules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10